Author Topic: PRE GSX PRO UPDATE FOR P3D4 USERS  (Read 1317 times)

quentcor

PRE GSX PRO UPDATE FOR P3D4 USERS
« on: October 15, 2022, 08:47:45 pm »
Umberto,
Do you not keep earlier versions of updates when releasing a new version? Is there no backup in your system? Is it not possible to restore previous versions of the files like one can in Windows?

Bearing in mind that your P3D users all paid good money for GSX, I think it would be fair to put time into 'reconstructing' the pre GSX Pro version, which was largely trouble free and stable, and make this available as a stand alone for download by those who want it. You may be surprised at the number of takers.

If this will mean an additional cost, as you suggest, I would be prepared to pay it, knowing that I will have a product which works without hassles and I would not expect it to be updated thereafter. Again, you may be surprised by the number of users who will pay for a stable product.

quentcor

Re: PRE GSX PRO UPDATE FOR P3D4 USERS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 09:16:42 am »
Point taken, but developers are always reminding us to make a backup of a file before changing anything, so we have the ability to revert if changes don't work out. Why weren't existing (trouble-free) codes backed up before mods were made?

FSXLiveries.com

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 10:22:40 pm »
"I could be wrong, but I think most of it ends up being modifications to existing codes, so I'm not sure how you would undo all of that."

Kevin, do you even read what you are writing before sending own posts? How dumb would have to be any developer to not keep the backup of working/previous/last of version of the software he is writing? Seriously, I had to read twice your post to believe you wrote it. 

First on PMDG forums, now here. Your posts are usually useless, contributing nothing to the discussion and you often act like a press spokesman for companies. Let alone the fact that sometimes you try to answer in the style of being a developer yourself. Please, STOP!

Umberto, forgive me but I had to finally rise the voice about this. It's too much and I'm not the only one seeing this like that. 

As for the topic itself, @quentcor, I agree with you that there should be backup and possibility to download older but working properly version of the software.
However, I highly disagree that you should be even thinking about paying anything extra for that. This simply  isn't right.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 10:30:58 pm by FSXLiveries.com »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 07:56:55 am »
Kevin, do you even read what you are writing before sending own posts? How dumb would have to be any developer to not keep the backup of working/previous/last of version of the software he is writing? Seriously, I had to read twice your post to believe you wrote it. 

Lots of misinformation and/or misunderstanding here.

OF COURSE we have backups. And way more of that, we obviously use a source versioning product on a shared server ( SVN ), meaning we can go back even to how GSX was in 2012.

The issue is, while we can go back to any version we want, it's at the sources file level. Not just code, obviously, but also source files for models, textures, everything.  We use this a lot, usually to track bugs, as if "let's see which lines we changed last month" and understand problems.

But source files are NOT a "product", to release a complete version and create an installer, you should first build everything and that's what I've meant saying the effort of creating an installable older release is probably bigger than just fix the remaining issues, which are mostly related in some way to different handling of ground altitude.

quentcor

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 10:36:08 am »
Umberto,
No-one will know better than you what's involved in the creation of GSX. If you find that supporting GSX for P3D is not viable in the longer term, I hope you will give effect to my suggestion before ceasing support.