Author Topic: "Gates" listed as "Ramps" at major airports - passenger count wrong PMDG 737  (Read 1302 times)

rsm2000e

• B738 Pilot AAL-211 YouTube Channel rsm2000e
    • Visit my YouTube Channel today!
Two problems:

Major airport (KSAN by LatinVFR) upon setup, choosing a gate for a commercial airliner, the gates all show up in GSX Pro as "Ramps".  Selecting Ramp 3, (I surmise it's gate 3) I am told it's 'too small for my aircraft', it is a commercial airline gate with a jetway, flying a 737-700, one of the smaller 73's... what gives??

Second problem:  GSX never gets the passenger count correct, shows 174 or something,  max on 737-700 with single class seating is 148.  How can I fix that issue, please?  Have updated flight plan with correct time in SimBrief prior to flying (KLAS to KSAN).  Must I 'load' the passengers via GSX prior to takeoff or does it read the correct passenger count from SimBrief?

Thanks for any help on both issues.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Major airport (KSAN by LatinVFR) upon setup, choosing a gate for a commercial airliner, the gates all show up in GSX Pro as "Ramps".  Selecting Ramp 3, (I surmise it's gate 3) I am told it's 'too small for my aircraft', it is a commercial airline gate with a jetway, flying a 737-700, one of the smaller 73's... what gives??

Before reporting any problem with any 3rd party scenery, always indicate if it's an airport bought on the Marketplace, because if it is, GSX cannot read its airport data, because it's encrypted. However LatinVFR has unencrypted versions of their airports available for download, which you can place in the GSX profiles folder, so GSX can read data from there.

If your version is not encrypted, assuming GSX read the .BGL that came with the airport ( which you can check in the GSX parking customization page ), the parking spots there are taken from the airport file itself so, if the airport is naming a parking in a certain way and has set a specific radius, GSX will show just that.

Note that, in a recent update, GSX will display parking spots that have their name set as "NONE" ( that is not set to any "Parking" or any "Gate" ), instead of displaying "None" which might be confusing users, that spot is listed as a "Ramp", but that's just a visual thing in order not to show it as "None", which is what is inside the airport file. It won't change anything the way the parking works ( or not ).

About the radius, and the parking spots reported "too small" for your aircraft, again, GSX doesn't try to interpret things: as explained in the manual, it just reads the parking radius from the airport file, and compares it with the current airplane half Wingspan: if it's smaller, it will say so.

And of course, this can be customized as explained in the manual, and there's even an option in the Settings telling GSX to always ignore the parking radius.

Second problem:  GSX never gets the passenger count correct, shows 174 or something,  max on 737-700 with single class seating is 148.  How can I fix that issue, please?  Have updated flight plan with correct time in SimBrief prior to flying (KLAS to KSAN).  Must I 'load' the passengers via GSX prior to takeoff or does it read the correct passenger count from SimBrief?

This has been discussed so many times, basically every day, last time just yesterday:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,28022.0.html

rsm2000e

Hi again Umberto- Is there a way you might reach out to Ricardo@latinvfr.com and obtain the relevant BGL files from him for his add-on airports?  I was thinking you might be able to somehow deploy those to your customers, so that your very nice add-on works well with 3rd party airports instead of creating problems & issues?  I know you're likely to say no thanks, and that's fine- but maybe you could somehow post links to those BGL files and tell us exactly where we should copy them into what specific GSX Pro directory?  Just trying to make MSFS the best it can be... and get all the add-on airports to function properly with your software if possible...  I appreciate your help.

Discovered the problem with my passenger count being wrong - I needed to start MSFS with PMDG aircraft cold and dark, then your software reads the passenger count properly from SimBrief.  It was NOT an issue with ICAO Code being wrong, I don't fly the 737-800.  PMDG has the correct value for the plane if flying 737-700 which is my airplane.  But thanks for your comment that people ask every day... maybe occasionally it might be a different cause than the 737-800 issue in aircraft.cfg file?  Anyways, it works now.

My goal now is to get KLAS (add-on Las Vegas Scenery) and KSAN airports to play nice with GSX pro. :)  8)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Hi again Umberto- Is there a way you might reach out to Ricardo@latinvfr.com and obtain the relevant BGL files from him for his add-on airports? 

If you checked the LatinVFR forum, they have a Sticky post in the Announcements section, impossible to miss, named "GSX for MSFS files", where you can download all of them.

Discovered the problem with my passenger count being wrong - I needed to start MSFS with PMDG aircraft cold and dark, then your software reads the passenger count properly from SimBrief.

I can only confirm that, if all SimBrief conditions are satisfied ( SimBrief button in GSX reads OK and it's Green ), the airplane status can't have any effect on GSX ability to read the passengers number, which is an operation done entirely over the internet between GSX and SimBrief site. I always have the PMDG 737 starting with APU on or GPU on, and it works just fine.

rsm2000e

If you checked the LatinVFR forum, they have a Sticky post in the Announcements section, impossible to miss, named "GSX for MSFS files", where you can download all of them.

great suggestion, I had major problems with the LatinVFR forum being blocked by my security software, but fortunately Roberto their developer was kind enough to email me the link.  So it was "possible to miss" it :)

Discovered the problem with my passenger count being wrong - I needed to start MSFS with PMDG aircraft cold and dark, then your software reads the passenger count properly from SimBrief.

I can only confirm that, if all SimBrief conditions are satisfied ( SimBrief button in GSX reads OK and it's Green ), the airplane status can't have any effect on GSX ability to read the passengers number, which is an operation done entirely over the internet between GSX and SimBrief site. I always have the PMDG 737 starting with APU on or GPU on, and it works just fine.

My problem was I was starting the PMDG with the engines running, and I think the logic of GSX Pro is "broken" if the engines are on?  At any rate, regardless of ground power or APU being active versus cold-and-dark, GSX will operate fine but it doesn't seem to work at all if the engines are running.  I start MSFS with engines on to save a lot of time setting up for departure but of course that is not realistic in real-world.  So now I guess I have to make it more true to life and have GPU or APU power but no engines when I start the flight and board the aircraft with passengers. 

By the way, I also have issue with add-on airport "Las Vegas Scenery" (which includes Harry Reid (Formerly McCarran) airport is from different developer, do you have any clue where I might get their BGL files so I can make GSX Pro work better, please?

Thank you Umberto!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 04:18:35 pm by rsm2000e »