Author Topic: GSX still auto-closing  (Read 3575 times)

MTSection

GSX still auto-closing
« on: October 05, 2022, 04:01:42 pm »
Hi,

I noticed that after this update:

UPDATE - September 21st, 2022

- GSX Pro NEW: Menu system changed; Auto-close function has been removed

GSX Menu is still auto-closing, am i missing a setting to check? I updated everytime via the offline updater and the live update as well.

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards

billkirk888

Re: GSX still auto-closing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:34 pm »
I thought the same, but the window is still open, just not showing on my screen.  I noticed that when it happens, the "GSX" icon in the MSFS menu drop down is still highlighted.  If I use the GSX hotkey, the window again re-appears.  I don't believe it is closing, just disappearing, or going to some background state.

The question is - how can we make it so the GSX window stays open and does not disappear until we manually minimize or close it?

Transair

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 02:46:25 am »
yes it would actually be better if a key (like F12) was a toggle key so you could manually turn off/on as desired.

AndyCYXU

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:22:05 am »
yeah he says he cannot make it not hide that is requires a whole lot of work, rework how the whole system works, and DO NOT CALL IT CLOSE.. it is called HIDE FFS.. idk.. but whatever, i can deal with many short comings of GSX but that is just plain the worst idea ever

AthenaG

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 10:21:44 am »
yes it would actually be better if a key (like F12) was a toggle key so you could manually turn off/on as desired.

The shortcut key SHIFT-CONTROL F12 (or any other combination of F12) can already be used as a toogle. It works. I am using it.

MTSection

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 11:08:31 am »
Yeah now I understand the reason behind this.. (I also saw the Andy's post).

I think that GSX is a very good addon that adds that part of immersion that msfs was really missing.. Let' s just say that this "auto-hiding" and the tricky update process (included the missing version number information) are the most uncomfortable things that i personally hope will get fixed/modified in the near future.

By the way thank you guys for replying and sharing your tips!

E grazie a Umberto per il suo lavoro!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 11:09:33 am »
yeah he says he cannot make it not hide that is requires a whole lot of work, rework how the whole system works, and DO NOT CALL IT CLOSE.. it is called HIDE FFS.. idk.. but whatever, i can deal with many short comings of GSX but that is just plain the worst idea ever

As already explained, GSX menus have a TIMEOUT, after that they close. The menu, NOT the Toolbar so yes, technically in MSFS this is an "hide". That's how GSX always worked for YEARS, you open it with an Hotkey, you close it with the Hotkey, and nobody ever found it a "bad idea" or difficult to use.

The ONLY difference is that, in MSFS, you must be careful not to close the GSX TOOLBAR, because if you do that, the Hotkey wouldn't work anymore, and menus and messages won't appear anymore. That's exactly identical to other Toolbar additions, like Navigraph, it can be opened with an Hotkey, but only as long its Toolbar icon is *active*, you close it, you lost the Hotkey until you open it again from the toolbar. In FSX or P3D this wasn't an issue, because a menu could be created at any time through Simconnect, while MSFS has *removed* this feature from the SDK, so the menu must be a Javascript Toolbar addon, and for performance reasons the simulator stops all Javascript code as soon the TOOLBAR is closed, resulting in Hotkeys not being handled anymore.

Most users want to get rid of a menu, if it's not needed, that's why each menu has a Timeout, so you wouldn't have to do an extra keypress *just* because you are done with the menu, and why some menus Timeouts with a default choice, so you won't be stopped by questions that are of little consequences with operations, like deciding which operator you want, while others timeouts without a default, because maybe you don't want to make a choice just yet, you have something else to do, but you want to redo your choice later, like the pushback and, at the same time, you don't want the menu taking away screen estate when not needed.

That's how GSX always worked for the past 10 years.

But as explained so many times, there are two usage cases where you might want a PINNED menu, that is a menu that never closes, ever, and that's Dual screen or VR, and that would require many changes in addition to "just" keep the menu open, which have also being clearly explained so, what's the point of keep arguing, when we already confirmed we'll look into it and it's not as if it's hidden somewhere, it's right in the Sticky Thread named "Short-Term ROADMAP".

HeicoH

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 11:22:05 am »
That's how GSX always worked for YEARS, you open it with an Hotkey, you close it with the Hotkey, and nobody ever found it a "bad idea" or difficult to use.

Really? I cannot remember GSX being available for MSFS "for years". What I can remember is that A LOT OF USERS want the GSX nenu behave like EVERY OTHER menu in MSFS. But obviously you prefer to ignore this instead of listen to your users. Like in so many other cases.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 11:37:58 am »
Really? I cannot remember GSX being available for MSFS "for years". What I can remember is that A LOT OF USERS want the GSX nenu behave like EVERY OTHER menu in MSFS.

GSX HAS been out for 10 years, that's a fact and even if this is the first version for MSFS, that doesn't change the fact that no user ever complained about the fact GSX wasn't designed to work with a PINNED menu before, and this is a generic usability design thing that's it's not related to the simulator used.

And of course, I already explained why the fact the menu doesn't "behave like others", it's also related to the basic GSX design of being a program that has its logic running completely separate from the menu and its usual workflow is to call it when required and call it again later.

The "other menus" are usually self-contained doing a limited set of features, or a just portals over a webpage, so they can stay open without this being a problem to their design.

But obviously you prefer to ignore this instead of listen to your users. Like in so many other cases.

What, exactly, in my last sentence is not exactly clear ?

we already confirmed we'll look into it and it's not as if it's hidden somewhere, it's right in the Sticky Thread named "Short-Term ROADMAP".

That's the Roadmap thread:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27778.0.html

A proper VR/Dual Screen mode for the GSX menu

It will be possible to "pin" the menu, leaving it always open, which will be useful in VR or when undocking to a different monitor.

How all of this, exactly, translates into "obviously you prefer to ignore this instead of listen to your user" ?