Author Topic: How to completly unsinstall GSX from my PC?  (Read 1290 times)

HeicoH

How to completly unsinstall GSX from my PC?
« on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:37 pm »
When I say "completly", I mean "completly". Not just delete the folders and files, but also get rid of what GSX placed into the registry, and maybe elsewhere in my system?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How to completly unsinstall GSX from my PC?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 03:12:39 pm »
Please clarify your problem first, and we'll see if you really need to do that.

HeicoH

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 03:45:15 pm »
There is no problem to clarify or to solve, I just want to get rid of the software completly without any traces on my PC.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 01:30:23 pm »
There is no problem to clarify or to solve, I just want to get rid of the software completly without any traces on my PC.

And again, I would like to know exactly *why*. Are you suspecting it's causing issues even when uninstalled normally ? Which issues, exactly ?

Saying you want to "get rid of what GSX placed into the registry" doesn't make any sense because, a real correct answer can't be made, without knowing exactly WHAT you had in your registry before.

Some examples:

- The GSX installer might have installed/updated one of the VC++ redistributable runtimes (depending which versions you had *before*), which has affected the registry AND a multitude of system files in your Windows\SxS folder, but it's not a change you can revert easily and if you tried doing that, you might end up with a not working Windows installation.

- The GSX installer might have installed/updated .NET (depending which versions you had *before*), which has affected the registry and a multitude of, other Windows system files, but it's also not a change you can revert easily and if you tried doing that, you might end up with a not working Windows installation.

- The GSX installer might have installed/updated QLM licensing libraries (depending which versions you had *before*), which has affected the registry, but it's not a change you can revert easily and if you tried doing that, you might end up with products using that licensing system losing their activations.

That's why it's basically impossible ( and it would be wrong even wanting to do that ) to *completely* revert *every* change GSX made to your system, because many of them might have been required updates that shouldn't be reversed in the first place.

If, instead, you are referring to the GSX-specific registry keys, that are not used by application other than GSX, removing them would be completely useless, since without GSX running, they are not doing anything, so they won't affect the rest of your system in any way but, in general, they are all under this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FSDreamTeam

Of course, removing this key will result in ALL FSDT products losing their activations ( your activation keys are stored there ), which means you'll have to reactivate all of them in case you need to reinstall them again, something you won't need to do if you leave the registry there.

And that's why they are not removed by the uninstaller, it would be silly forcing you to reactivate something JUST because you wanted to Uninstall/Reinstall without changing any hardware.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:32:51 pm by virtuali »