Author Topic: GSX Pro randomly uninstalled and will not reinstall  (Read 1162 times)

Ryan48268

GSX Pro randomly uninstalled and will not reinstall
« on: June 04, 2023, 03:50:03 am »
Loaded up the sim went to open GSX per usual on the ground and it would not launch. I check the universal installer and install was an option and deactivate was an option and that’s it. I click install it does its thing, I reload the universal installer and it still says install. I proceed and delete the virtuali folder in appdata roaming and MSFS community folder. Download a new universal installer and try again. Same issue occurs, it shows it installing, and finished and still has the install option available and not uninstall as if it was installed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Pro randomly uninstalled and will not reinstall
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 02:18:30 pm »
Is your community folder located on external drive ? If yes, we have a Sticky thread about this in this very section:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26874.0.html

Ryan48268

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 03:29:07 pm »
I have it on a :D drive. It has been on there for months working perfectly until two days ago. When I go to reinstall GSX it automatically chooses that path. How do I select a new path?

Ryan48268

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 04:14:55 pm »
(D) drive

Ryan48268

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 04:44:32 pm »
Also GSX defaulted to my community folder on the (D) where I keep MSFS so I do not see why this is an issue

Ryan48268

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 04:52:19 pm »
No my community folder is not on an external Drive

demo08080higeiagihasgegbs

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 10:27:18 pm »
having the same problem so annoying

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 01:28:10 pm »
Also GSX defaulted to my community folder on the (D) where I keep MSFS so I do not see why this is an issue

GSX didn't "defaulted" there. By default, all FSDT products are installed here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager

Which is a perfectly fine choice, and the only reason you have to change it, is if you don't have enough space on C: so, you can choose another drive/folder freely, but it should NOT be the Community folder.

The only possible way the "Addon Manager" folder ended up there, it's because you must have changed the default, maybe assuming the installer didn't detect the Community folder so you wanted to fix that, but it's normal, you shouldn't install the Addon Manager IN the Community folder, because, we create Symbolic links in the Addon Manager folder TO the Community folder, so if you set that as the destination, it would create a circular link, hence the failure.

So, while you are free to install FSDT everywhere, the worst possible choice for a non-default location would be precisely the Community folder. In fact, our stand-alone installers for sceneries made before we released the Universal Installer, had an explicit check to prevent users installing INTO the Community folder, I guess we need to add it to the Universal Installer as well.

Now, you said GSX "defaults" to your previous choice, and that's is normal and correct because, while you are given complete freedom to install FSDT products everywhere you like, they must all stay together, so the installer will only give you a choice the first time you install it, but subsequent installation will always go to the same folder, to prevent you from spreading products all over the place, when they must stay together, both because it would be easier for the updater to keep them updated together, but also because they share files, when possible, to not waste disk space if not needed.

To be able to freely select a destination for the FSDT products again, do as follows:

- Uninstall all products from the Universal Installer. Don't just Unlink them, but really uninstall them. Don't Deactivate them, not required, unless you plan to reinstall Windows as well.

- Go in the "Programs and Features" section of the Windows Control Panel, and Uninstall the "Fsdreamteam Universal Installer" itself. THIS is what will clear your previous choice of an install location.

- Reinstall the Universal Installer. You'll notice NOW (if you did the previous step) you'll be given again a choice for the destination folder. Just accept the default, which is perfectly fine, unless you don't have enough space on C:,

If you don't want to install into C: just choose D:\ (or any other drive AS LONG IS NTFS ), so you'll end up with FSDT Installed into D:\Addon Manager, which is ok, since from there, the installer will create Symbolic links for the various products into the Community folder.

And, the Community folder itself should also be located on an NTFS drive as well.