Author Topic: Offline installer  (Read 1720 times)

Pilotpete1

Offline installer
« on: October 01, 2022, 09:30:55 am »
After you have opened the offline installer it automatically installs if you press install.  But do you still need to run the FSDT Live Updater?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Offline installer
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 10:32:17 am »
After you have opened the offline installer it automatically installs if you press install.  But do you still need to run the FSDT Live Updater?

It's the opposite way around: you should always run the FSDT Live Update first, and use the offline installer ONLY in case you suspect there are issues with your local cloudflare node, and they can be detected as explained in the offline installer thread:

- Are the same files (other than the ones which the Sticky thread lists to be supposed to always be downloaded ) downloaded over and over, even if you run the Live Update twice in a row ?

If yes, that's the one and only case in which you need to use the Offline installer, otherwise just the Live Update is just fine.

Magic Man

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 12:21:44 pm »
The only 'issue' I have with the Live Updater is that it auto closes and, because it does what it does so fast, I can't even see what, if any files, are being downloaded.

If it could stay open with a scrollable list/log of what it's done then that would help enormously. I can just close it then after seeing what's been done. Since it's actually the same program as the installer, perhaps just another attribute/flag to leave open or close automatically?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 12:55:17 pm »

The Live Update is made like that following users suggestions they don't want to have dialogs or confirmations block it, because many users launch it automatically before starting the sim, as part of an automated batch process, so they asked not to be stopped by any confirmations windows.

If you want to be in control, check what's going on and pay attention the updated files log, just use the FSDT Installer instead. Note that, while it might "look" differently, they are one and the same program, which changes its user interface depending which icon starts it.

Magic Man

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 06:15:49 pm »
Many thanks.

lancealotg

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 04:18:53 pm »
Maybe something is wrong with my install but the Live update and the FSDT installer run totally different.
The live installer takes a few seconds and then it disappears.
The FSDT installer takes from 2 to 3 minutes before it completes.

Also, I have removed some of the boarding sounds that irritate me (...I'm doing gooood, I really hate that one)
Anyway, the live installer will not reinstall them but the FSDT installer will (which I then go back and remove...)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 12:41:53 pm »
Maybe something is wrong with my install but the Live update and the FSDT installer run totally different.  The live installer takes a few seconds and then it disappears. The FSDT installer takes from 2 to 3 minutes before it completes.

That's normal:

- the Live Updater only download and install files you are missing or that are outdated.

- the Offline installer will always install everything contained in itself, without checking their version so, clearly, it will take longer.

Anyway, the live installer will not reinstall them but the FSDT installer will (which I then go back and remove...)

Both will reinstall those sounds, unless you created a file named "DONTUPDATE" in that folder, which the Live Updater recognizes, but the Offline installer doesn't, and that's how its made and it won't be changed.

Since you said the Live Updater doesn't download much, it means you don't need the Offline installer, which was only a temporary fix for those users affected by outdated cloudflare nodes. The normal procedure should be using the Live Update only.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 12:44:03 pm by virtuali »

lancealotg

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 03:26:11 pm »
The FSDT Installer I was referring to is the one created during the initial install. I thought that was the online installer (as opposed to the offline installer one has to download separately, which I am not using).
That is why I question why I am seeing two totally different updates times and files being downloaded when using the live update vs the online installer.

I am no programmer, and I don't know if it's possible with your program, but I would greatly prefer to have a version number available somewhere to know if the files I have are current.
Right now, I update and hope the files were downloaded correctly without any type of confirmation (having the live updater disappear when completed doesn't help either).

I hope this does not sound as a negative attack on you, I greatly enjoy the product.