Author Topic: Type of Pushback tug  (Read 1413 times)

HeicoH

Type of Pushback tug
« on: September 15, 2022, 08:42:35 pm »
How can I specify the type of the pushback tug (towbar or clambs)?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

Turok144

Re: Type of Pushback tug
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 04:54:00 am »
You cannot.  The type of pushback vehicle that activates depends on the size of the aircraft.  The big jumbo jets don't get the one with the bar.  Hope that helps.

HeicoH

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 07:55:13 am »
I originally assumed that too. But it turned out that this cannot be the only criterion. E.g.: With the A320 in EDDL, I get a clamps tug. Same airport, with the CRJ550, I get a bar tug. But with the A320, in GCLA I get a bar tug. For testing, I put a 767 to GCLA (which irl is not possible). I get a clambs tug. So, obviously both bar tug as well as clambs tug are available at both airports, and the same aircraft can get different types of tug.

Anyway, if there are criteria which define which type of tug GSX chooses, those criteria have to be defined in a file. So, I'm looking for that file.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 09:26:14 am »
So, obviously both bar tug as well as clambs tug are available at both airports,

Although it is possible to restrict a vehicle to an airport, this doesn't affect the pushback ( Catering vehicles, for example, have a European-looking model that doesn't appear in the US and an American-looking model than doesn't appear in Europe ), which are all available everywhere.

They are chosen depending on some airplane criteria, like the weight or the door's height. If there are multiple vehicles that matches the airplane, they will be chosen at random so, while you will NEVER get the big Towbarless vehicle on a 737, because it has been explicitly prevented to be used in airplanes that have the main exit too low, because that vehicle is too big to fit under the nose of a 737, the A320 can use multiple vehicles except the smallest one, so it will different vehicles each time.

Anyway, if there are criteria which define which type of tug GSX chooses, those criteria have to be defined in a file. So, I'm looking for that file.

Of course they are, the SIM.CFG of each pushback truck vehicle has restrictions on the vehicles used.

phase1NE

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 01:29:24 pm »
I originally assumed that too. But it turned out that this cannot be the only criterion. E.g.: With the A320 in EDDL, I get a clamps tug. Same airport, with the CRJ550, I get a bar tug. But with the A320, in GCLA I get a bar tug. For testing, I put a 767 to GCLA (which irl is not possible). I get a clambs tug. So, obviously both bar tug as well as clambs tug are available at both airports, and the same aircraft can get different types of tug.

Did you manage to figure out what criteria worked for removing the clamp tug from being used w/ the Fenix? Better yet, I'd love to just set clamp tugs to only be used on heavies, as they should be.

Lol it's crazy to me that an addon w/ SO much customization doesn't allow you to choose the type of tug you want to use from a list of tugs that fit the criteria for your plane/gate. Instead, we're stuck flipping a coin to see what type we get.. so dumb lol Hopefully, we can get that option *soon*, but a workaround would be great in the meantime.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 05:02:41 pm »
Lol it's crazy to me that an addon w/ SO much customization doesn't allow you to choose the type of tug you want to use from a list of tugs that fit the criteria for your plane/gate. Instead, we're stuck flipping a coin to see what type we get.. so dumb lol Hopefully, we can get that option *soon*, but a workaround would be great in the meantime.

Silly me to assume users would like to simulate real life, where you ( the pilot ) surely don't have any saying which kind of vehicle you'll find on airports.

You get what they have, which is why the choice is random, to offer so variation to simulate the fact that, maybe, some equipment might not always available or all the trucks of one type are in use. So, as long the criteria are correct, you are always supposed to get a truck that is appropriate for that airplane.

Have you found a case in which you were getting the wrong vehicle ? Your wanted to remove the towbarless truck for the Fenix but, since that's the only towbarless truck we have NOW, if we prevented it to be used on A320-class planes, nobody would ever get to see it.

We already confirmed multiple times we'll add another smaller towbarless truck, so the larger one won't appear anymore on A320-class planes, we already had that model in P3D, but we don't want to recycle it in MSFS, so we need to remodel it from scratch.