Author Topic: How to properly refuel the PMDG 737-800  (Read 10958 times)

WebMaximus

Re: How to properly refuel the PMDG 737-800
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2022, 06:55:32 pm »
How would it be possible to get to your destination when adding the fuel required via the TOTAL KGS field if in fact using that method wouldn't put fuel into the tanks?

A possible explanation might just be some kind of delay from the moment you change that option to when the variable really changes. Try to wait a bit *after* GSX told you to use the PMDG FMC to set the quantity.

I was just about to upload a video for you where I'm demonstrating how setting both the TOTAL KGS and LEVEL fields in the PMDG FMC will also increase the amount of fuel in MSFS in the same way. The answer is it's taking approx 2 seconds for the new level of fuel to be updated in MSFS after having changed the amount of fuel in the PMDG FMC. Same thing regardless what field is used, ie putting in the new amount of fuel expressed in KG or as a percentage of the full tank.

However...when I then started the refueling process in GSX to also show you a video how it's working as long as you're using the LEVEL field but how the fuel truck will immediately drive away when using the TOTAL KGS field...what do you know...suddenly the fuel truck stays in position and the counter seen on the truck starts counting even when using the TOTAL KGS field.

So...problem solved I guess...even when I'm scratching my head considering how many times I've seen the truck just drive away when changing the level of fuel via the TOTAL KGS field. I'm quite puzzled to say the least. The only difference I can think of was how I this time only triggered the refueling services in GSX. Where I normally also have asked for other services such as boarding, catering etc. No clue if or how that could affect the refueling logic but sounds unlikely.

Oh well, I'm super happy as long as it will continue to work like this. All I ever wanted and I hope it will last! Meaning I will hopefully be able to spend some of my spare time actually enjoying myself and flying instead of having these endless debates in here.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 10:36:19 pm »
I was just about to upload a video for you where I'm demonstrating how setting both the TOTAL KGS and LEVEL fields in the PMDG FMC will also increase the amount of fuel in MSFS in the same way. The answer is it's taking approx 2 seconds for the new level of fuel to be updated in MSFS after having changed the amount of fuel in the PMDG FMC.

So, all that drama about having to use a "cumbersome" method, because a supposed "problem" in GSX, when in fact GSX was always working perfectly fine, and the ONLY real issue was that, the *actual* fuel quantity in the sim ( the only one GSX can possibly read ) was updated 2 seconds after being shown in the FMC ?

I already guessed timings might have been the issue, maybe the percentage level option is faster than the quantity but, again, it's something completely internal to the PMDG, until those changes are propagated to the standard simulator variables, as far GSX is concerned, nothing happened.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2022, 10:58:29 pm »
Maybe we have different views on it, but if in FMC I have set the display of fuel in KGS and after calling a tanker, the table in LBS units is loaded, I don't know, but without another choice of setting it just seems strange to me. But what can be done, you are the creators of this project and as you decide, so it will be.

What do you mean, exactly, with "after calling a tanker, the table in LBS units is loaded". Do you mean the GSX refueling menu ? That would be the only place were you could see any kind of indication about fuel quantities being either Kgs or Lbs and they ALREADY indicates a different unit of measure depending on the simulator International settings.

But of course, that menu is not even shown on an airplane that REFUEL ITSELF, like the PMDG 737, which is the subject of this thread.

Have you possibly CHANGED the default configuration for the PMDG to have GSX Refueling the airplane ? You shouldn't do that, the PMDG should not be refueled by GSX, it must refuel itself, with GSX only *visually* reacting to the airplane own refueling process.

Once this is clear, it should be obvious that, the usage Lbs or Kgs is completely irrelevant, GSX will just monitor an increase, regardless which units of measures are used in the airplane.

WebMaximus

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 11:28:03 pm »
So, all that drama about having to use a "cumbersome" method, because a supposed "problem" in GSX, when in fact GSX was always working perfectly fine, and the ONLY real issue was that, the *actual* fuel quantity in the sim ( the only one GSX can possibly read ) was updated 2 seconds after being shown in the FMC ?

I already guessed timings might have been the issue, maybe the percentage level option is faster than the quantity but, again, it's something completely internal to the PMDG, until those changes are propagated to the standard simulator variables, as far GSX is concerned, nothing happened.

Well, the "drama" wasn't caused by the issue itself but because of your mostly arrogant attitude. Just like now when you're using words like supposed "problem". When both myself and others saw this issue, it wasn't a supposed problem but a very real problem. I witnessed the same thing over and over again when I was testing. I wish I knew why it suddenly started working but unfortunately I don't. And frankly, it doesn't really matter. What matters is it's now working. Or at least it was on my last flight. I can only hope it will continue working on coming flights.

After having "known" you for many years, I think it's highly unlikely your arrogant attitude will ever change. That obviously is just the way you are as a person and something those of us faced by it will have to accept as long as we decide to pay for and use your products. With that said, it would have been so much more nice if the dialogue from your side instead would have been something like

"I'm sorry to hear guys you're having this issue. Let's try to figure out what is happening here and find a way to fix it."

Then once you receive the kind of message you did from me when I said it was all of a sudden working, a proper response from you would have been something like

"Wow, that's great it's now working for you. I'm happy to hear that and how you're finally able to enjoy my product the way it's meant to be enjoyed"

This however is customer communication way out of your league. The attitude you're showing in here over and over again for as long as I can remember works fine in this kind of forum for these kind of products. In the "real life" though, you wouldn't last for long Umberto with this attitude of yours. I can say that from own experience working as a Customer Success Manager for a big company. If I would use this kind of "tone" with my customers, I wouldn't be able to say my name before I had to start looking for another job.

Anyway, I'm happy I have reached a point where I'm able to start enjoying the product I bought from you and I'm looking forward to do more flying using it.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 12:01:20 am »
Well, the "drama" wasn't caused by the issue itself but because of your mostly arrogant attitude.

Wrong, it was caused entirely by your continuing assumptions GSX was the one with a problem, see here, who's the one with the attitude here ?

what is cumbersome is how we're forced to use the LEVEL field in the PMDG FMC for your software to work as intended.

Yes, that bold around "your software" was a bit arrogant, especially considering it turned out to be wrong.

What matters is it's now working. Or at least it was on my last flight. I can only hope it will continue working on coming flights.

It always worked, the only real issue was the airplane having a small delay setting the relevant simulator variables.  Which (guess what), was entirely consistent with my repeated explanations that the only thing GSX could possibly see were the relevant simulator variables and my repeated explanations about the only possible issue was the airplane not setting them or, like you found out, setting them with some delay.

If I would use this kind of "tone" with my customers, I wouldn't be able to say my name before I had to start looking for another job.

That's probably one of the advantages of owning the company, that ( as you said yourself ) has doing business for so many years. But I think I'm quite in a good company because, if you read around, the Flight sim industry is full of people that support is NOT their job.

It's not obviously mine, and not many companies in the Flight sim "industry" ( quotes are intentional ) can afford a trained support professional, somebody that is able to tell you to just go away, using words so nice and courteous that you won't even realize. I'm not such guy, I'm a programmer, something for me is very binary and it's either right or wrong, and that might sound rude sometimes, but it's usually accurate.

Anyway, I'm happy I have reached a point where I'm able to start enjoying the product I bought from you and I'm looking forward to do more flying using it.

Well, of course you are, since most of the issues you found, weren't really issues in the first place.

WebMaximus

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2022, 12:47:28 am »
I rest my case Umberto.

Have a good one 👍
Richard Åsberg