Author Topic: Trying to understand how 3rd party airports work  (Read 906 times)

Rhinozherous

Trying to understand how 3rd party airports work
« on: September 24, 2022, 04:58:42 pm »
Bought GSX for MSFS today, had most of the time good experience with it on P3D. I am not interested in all the walking people and jetway bridges stuff... I just want to use it as a good pushback program.

I just wanted to get a short glimpse after install and fired up MSFS. I hoped into the Fenix A320 at Gaya LOWW gate F23. Selected the GSX menu from the MSFS dropdown menu.

- GSX just showed me parking positions as if I just landed at LOWW - no option for Pushback... No clue how one starts push if the app thinks I want to park ^^
- Wanted to see the GSX Settings. Clicked it - window closed, nothing happened.
- Tried to reopen the GSX window, landed on a never ending "Loading GSX Menu, please wait" screen.
- Right clicked Couatl symbol in taskbar and selected "Restart" - Couatl closed and was never seen again.
- Started Couatl manually
- Again, no pushback options, only parking options.
- All the same started as above...

As these are my experiences within the first 10 minutes using this addon I have to ask if this is still Alpha? Or Beta??
I have an itching feeling that I want my money back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:58:13 pm by Rhinozherous »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Wow, very disappointing...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:18:45 pm »
You are making all your comments based on a single thing that, if you searched the forum, would have known it a problematic scenery, that is Gaya LOWW.

You haven't even said if it was the Marketplace version (which GSX can't use) or not but, again, if you searched the forum, you would have know this scenery have some issues even in its regular unencrypted version.

Looking at logs from several users with the same problem it seems that scenery is missing the "Delete Airport" record, which is an indication for GSX the scenery is not a complete airport, just an enhancement, so GSX will always use the default airport in those cases, and of course it has been like this SINCE 2012 with GSX came out: it will only work if an airport flags itself as being complete and not depending on default data. This hasn't changed since FSX.

I don't know if Gaya LOWW is really supposed to be only an enhancement of the default airport, or the missing Delete Airport record is just a mistake, GSX cannot obviously know about that, it must trust that flag to know if it need to use the default airport or not, and most of 3rd party airports DO have a Delete Airport record, unless they are really supposed to only enhance the default.

Of course all of these issues with problems with .BGLs that might contain errors will be gone once we'll update GSX with the new Navdata API that just became available with SU10, which will also allow to use Marketplace airports but, in general, it would have been best if you tried GSX on other airports, instead of assuming GSX "has a problem", only after trying a single airport.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:21:39 pm by virtuali »

Rhinozherous

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 05:36:28 pm »
Always nice to have to read the whole forum just to get the new addon to work. So, that means it will not work on a lot of 3rd party airports.
Uninstall for now, maybe this will get better in the future.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 05:45:42 pm »
Always nice to have to read the whole forum just to get the new addon to work.

I don't know what you are trying to say here, but the add-on that doesn't work here is Gaya LOWW, and it wouldn't have worked in P3D as well, if the P3D version had the same issue.

So, that means it will not work on a lot of 3rd party airports.

- If you are referring to airport missing the Delete Airport command, nothing has changed since 2012 when GSX first came out: they would still be rejected by GSX.

- If you are referring to the Marketplace airports, it's not as if this is not clearly indicated in the GSX product page, and of course if you read my explanation about the new Navdata API, is a problem that will be eventually gone, but we couldn't do anything about it before SU10, now we can work on it.

Uninstall for now, maybe this will get better in the future.

You said yourself it worked well in P3D but, if the P3D version of Gaya LOWW had the same missing Delete Airport record, it would have been rejected by GSX and you would have obtained the SAME result, had you made the same mistake of doing a judgement of the whole program after 10 minutes of trying a single airport.

Rhinozherous

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 05:56:07 pm »
I will start "from scratch" and read the manual and forum more indepth to understand better how all this works.

Sorry for getting emotional.