Author Topic: GSX Opening PMDG 738 Overwing Exits Instead of Cargo Doors  (Read 2314 times)

daan_vb

GSX Opening PMDG 738 Overwing Exits Instead of Cargo Doors
« on: September 23, 2022, 01:49:07 pm »
I've just started using GSX, its so cool! All's going well so far apart from one litle oddity that I have noticed in the PMDG 737-800. When GSX comes to load bags it opens the overwing exits instead of the cargo doors. Am I doing something wrong or is there a quick fix for this?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:50:39 pm by daan_vb »

hkhoanguyen

Re: GSX Opening PMDG 738 Overwing Exits Instead of Cargo Doors
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 09:12:58 am »
I had same issue when boarding finishes, it opens the overwing doors

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 11:27:12 pm »
Same issue over here and I've seen this many times.

I read in another thread how this might happen if you use the FO:s FMC. Since it seems GSX is using that one to literally click buttons to open/close doors etc. Where the theory is if that FMC is not in the state GSX expects to find it, things might go south.

Will make sure I don't touch the right FMC on next flight to see if things are working better and I can avoid having the overwing exits open. In my case, they opened by the end of the PAX boarding.

Maybe there is no other way doing it at the moment but I think it would make sense for GSX to open/close the doors "behind the scenes" rather than simulating button presses on the FMC in the v/c. Those kind of things are destined to cause issues when GSX can't know for sure if things will look as expected.

However, when I think about it, if that is how it's done right now, always starting such an automated "script" by pressing the FMC key for instance would make sense. Since that would allow GSX to know it will always start from the same page. Making it less likely to press the incorrect buttons. On the other hand, only the GSX devs will know for sure how all this works in their software. Just thinking out aloud here.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:00:16 am »
Maybe there is no other way doing it at the moment but I think it would make sense for GSX to open/close the doors "behind the scenes" rather than simulating button presses on the FMC in the v/c. Those kind of things are destined to cause issues when GSX can't know for sure if things will look as expected.

Don't you think if there was another way of opening doors on the PMDG without having to act on the FMC, we would have used it ? Those doors are a custom system that cannot be controlled in any other way, unless PMDG would eventually release an SDK that would offer a separate way to controls doors and other services bypassing the FMC interface.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 10:19:46 am »

Don't you think if there was another way of opening doors on the PMDG without having to act on the FMC, we would have used it ? Those doors are a custom system that cannot be controlled in any other way, unless PMDG would eventually release an SDK that would offer a separate way to controls doors and other services bypassing the FMC interface.

Of course. I actually thought of mentioning it in my first post, how I guess the problem probably is how PMDG still didn't release an SDK. Allowing these kind of things which was just confirmed by you.

Let's keep our fingers crossed we'll eventually see that SDK from PMDG. I'm sure lots of people are waiting for it.
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:55:16 pm »
Following up on this one after having done some more testing.

Umberto, can you please confirm the logic is OK regarding what door are opened?

During my last testing, I have made sure to not touch the FO FMC used by GSX after having loaded the flight and yet, the over-wing exits are opened instead of the cargo doors to allow the baggage to be loaded.
Richard Åsberg

Transair

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 02:22:23 pm »
I've just started using GSX, its so cool! All's going well so far apart from one litle oddity that I have noticed in the PMDG 737-800. When GSX comes to load bags it opens the overwing exits instead of the cargo doors. Am I doing something wrong or is there a quick fix for this?

yes same for me....really annoying when I'm ready for departure and check the doors!!

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 05:42:52 pm »
Following up on this one after having done some more testing.

Umberto, can you please confirm the logic is OK regarding what door are opened?

During my last testing, I have made sure to not touch the FO FMC used by GSX after having loaded the flight and yet, the over-wing exits are opened instead of the cargo doors to allow the baggage to be loaded.

Which order did you call the services in?

If I use the GSX menu to order Catering or Refueling-before Boarding, then the left over wing doors and left rear exit opens for boarding and the cargo doors do not open.

If I call Boarding first, then all of the doors open (and close) at the proper time for each service.
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 06:21:50 pm »

If I use the GSX menu to order Catering or Refueling-before Boarding, then the left over wing doors and left rear exit opens for boarding and the cargo doors do not open.

If I call Boarding first, then all of the doors open (and close) at the proper time for each service.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing that tip! Normally, I'm calling the various services in the order they appear in the GSX menu. Will try calling boarding first next time and see how that works out over here. However, I guess it's not fully realistic to start the boarding before catering and refueling. For testing purposes though, worth a shot for sure!
Richard Åsberg

daan_vb

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 10:10:47 am »

That's interesting, thanks for sharing that tip! Normally, I'm calling the various services in the order they appear in the GSX menu. Will try calling boarding first next time and see how that works out over here. However, I guess it's not fully realistic to start the boarding before catering and refueling. For testing purposes though, worth a shot for sure!

Did it work better for you doing it this way?

WebMaximus

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 11:03:13 am »

Forgot to test this since I've been so busy troubleshooting other issues with GSX but will try to remember testing this on next flight and will let you know.
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 07:38:21 pm »

Just gave this a try but sorry to say, over here I still ended up with the over-wing exit on the left side opened after the boarding was completed. One improvement was how I didn't have to open and close the cargo doors. This worked like a charm automatically this time when doing things in the order you suggested, starting with the boarding service before using any other service.

This to me tells me there's nothing wrong with the FMC not being in the right state when the aircraft is first loaded. Rather, this suggests there's an issue where too many actions going on from GSX's side requiring to open/close different doors will eventually get things messed up. Where it will need your help to sort things out by manually open/close any door asked for. Good thing is how at least GSX will continue to work. Just it needs some help from you.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 10:08:25 pm »
Rather, this suggests there's an issue where too many actions going on from GSX's side requiring to open/close different doors will eventually get things messed up.

I think I know what might be happening: a command to open a door being sent while one was still performing, and this won't always happen, because the various loaders don't always appear at the same time because there are some delays added randomly to prevent them to move too much in synch, which would look not natural, but sometimes they *do* something together.

I think it might be possible to fix it by creating a proper command queue.

Good thing is how at least GSX will continue to work. Just it needs some help from you.

Well, of course it will work, you should consider GSX worked fine for everybody for the last 10 years, and it never had any auto-door function and, in fact, we only added it because *default* airplanes don't have ANY way to open their doors without extra programming, then we saw the chance to add it for 3rd party airplanes with custom procedures, but until now, FSX/P3D users always opened their doors manually, regardless of the airplane used.

WebMaximus

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 10:15:39 pm »
Sounds great if you could find a way to address this issue.
Richard Åsberg