Author Topic: External GSX window/panel?  (Read 1416 times)

disco79stu

External GSX window/panel?
« on: September 18, 2022, 10:50:00 am »
Hi Umberto,

would it be possible to make the GSX window also a permanent external window that I can just keep open and move over to my second screen (other apps like FS2Crew do it this way)?

BR

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: External GSX window/panel?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 10:52:50 am »
The GSX menu can be undocked, like any other toolbar menu.

Copper

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 11:07:13 am »
The GSX menu can be undocked, like any other toolbar menu.
But it doesn't stay open. That's the biggest issue people have with the menu.

I'm not using the menu any more but instead have Streamdeck via AxisAndOhs which shows the menu permanently and much more consistent in behavior. The difference is night and day in terms of usability.

You should check out what people do with the Streamdeck profiles, I think it is far superior than the ingame menu.
I know that it's built to work around some limitations in MSFS, but having an optional(!) application or even web socket to control GSX would make the experience so much better. With a websocket one could even open it on a browser from the smartphone and use that to control GSX. How awesome would that be?
But at this point, I'm sure there will be some community project to build this, working around the quirky menu that GSX ships in MSFS.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 12:02:56 pm »
But it doesn't stay open. That's the biggest issue people have with the menu.

As already discussed in several other threads, we confirmed the next update won't have the auto-close feature anymore, and it will have an hotkey to re-open the menu, provided you never close if from the toolbar icon (in that case, you'll have to open it again).

We'll likely add a "pinned" mode as well, which might be useful for VR and in other cases but, this will require more time, since it will change many things about how GSX works, which has never been an issues for the past 10 years ( nobody ever asked for an always-open GSX menu before )

disco79stu

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 04:31:15 pm »
I actually didn't notice the possibility to undock MSFS menus before, but yeah, that doesn't help much if it auto closes again.
So I'm looking forward to be able to leave it open in the next update, thanks!

As for the sudden whish to have this, I think with P3D the menu was just way more decent and "light", one hotkey gave you a subtile choice of options you could quickly access and which didn't disturb the flow too much.
Now, with the overly "designed", gamey, colorful and heavy MSFS menus, for me it just goes a little against the immersion having this big blueish thing popping up. Hence my desire to just get this away from my "flight deck" and store it on my second screen (where other panels, addons, tools and charts etc. are sitting).

Thanks! :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 09:41:53 am »
As for the sudden whish to have this, I think with P3D the menu was just way more decent and "light", one hotkey gave you a subtile choice of options you could quickly access and which didn't disturb the flow too much.

That's how it will work in the next update, provided you never close it from the Toolbar after you opened it the first time.