Author Topic: End of pushback lock-up  (Read 2330 times)

WernerAir

End of pushback lock-up
« on: September 16, 2022, 02:37:51 pm »
I am frequently confronted by the following problem:

At the end of pushback, as am turning on the engines, GSX asks me to confirm good engine start once done. As soon as the engines are up and running I open the GSX menu only to find that the menu already seems to have finished the process, offering me only options to select a new parking position or a runway as a target. The attached screenshot shows my predicament: the ow truck and marshaller are waiting for my feedback, of which I am reminded by periodic messages, but the menu won't allow me to confirm a good engine start anymore.
So short of restarting Couatl, how can I get out of this one?

Note: I use the FBWA320NX - I don't know if the problem may be related to this aircraft specifically

WernerAir

Re: End of pushback lock-up
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 03:11:31 pm »
Sorry, I still keep having this problem. This time I remembered to save the log file before restarting Couatl - maybe this can give you an indication of what is going on. I'd really appreciate feedback on this...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 03:51:22 pm »
This time I remembered to save the log file before restarting Couatl

Your log shows a problem similar to this one, which should be fixed as posted:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27583.msg180871.html#msg180871

We'll already have the fix in the next update but, the issue is, there shouldn't even be any need for a fix because, what the log shows, is that something is sending keypresses even when the GSX menu is open, which is strange, as if they were sent continuously.

WernerAir

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 04:37:26 pm »
This time I remembered to save the log file before restarting Couatl
We'll already have the fix in the next update but, the issue is, there shouldn't even be any need for a fix because, what the log shows, is that something is sending keypresses even when the GSX menu is open

Hi Umberto,

unfortunately I have to bring this topic up again, since I am still running into this problem. I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with a device sending keypresses. Instead, I have observed that the problem never occurs on the first flight after spawning in the aircraft, but it seems to happen repeatedly when I land somewhere, deboard, cater, refuel, board, and then push back in order to start the next flight. So basically every time I try to turn the aircraft around without exiting the sim.

Please have a look into this, and let me know if I can assist you in any way.

WernerAir

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 02:47:10 pm »
Hi there,

I wanted to bring this topic up again because the problem still exists: Whenever I perform multiple flights, i.e. I do the full turn-around and take off again from an airport I landed at without leaving the sim, I cannot confirm good engine start because GSX shows me the parking selection menu at the end of the pushback. The only way to end the pushback animation is to restart Couatl.

For me, this really detracts from the immersion, so I would love to have it fixed. Also, I really wonder if I am the only one having this problem...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 02:53:17 pm »
Please confirm if this if fixed if you restart Couatl either before or soon after landing.

WernerAir

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 02:59:40 pm »
I usually have to restart couatl shortly after landing because it still regularly crashes silently during flight, so I have to restart it in order to select a parking on arrival. It doesn't change the pushback behavior.
Some time back, I also tried additionally restarting couatl after deboarding, so I would have a "fresh" run before starting departure preparations. Unfortunately this didn't help either.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 03:35:56 pm »
Then check if it happens with another aircraft.

WernerAir

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 01:41:17 pm »
I just tried it with the IniBuilds A310, and the behavior is the same.

I flew from EFHK to LEMD and then on from LEMD to LSZH.

At EFHK I could report good engine start normally, see first screenshot. At LEMD this was not possible, as you can see in the second screenshot.
Couatl was restarted twice in the meantime: First I had to restart it after landing in LEMD, since it had crashed during the flight, and then I restarted it again before boarding.

So it seems that the problem is not specific to the Flybywire A32NX. In fact, my impression is that it should be easy to reproduce.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 01:18:38 pm »
So it seems that the problem is not specific to the Flybywire A32NX. In fact, my impression is that it should be easy to reproduce.

Have you possibly closed the GSX menu with the mouse on the Toolbar, instead of closing it with the X icon or the hotkey as suggested in the manual, page 77, where the usage of the menu is discussed ?

This is now your normal workflow should be:

• Open the GSX menu from the Toolbar icon when first starting Ground services .
• Don’t close it from the Toolbar while Ground services are performed, always use the Hot-key or the X icon to close the menu.
• Close the menu using the Toolbar icon when you are done with Ground services, usually before take-off.

In brief, the Toolbar Icon should always be left Active while Ground services are
required.

WernerAir

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 11:46:37 am »
Hi Umberto,

I can confirm that I NEVER use the toolbar icon to close the GSX menu. Never. In fact, the only time I ever click on the GSX toolbar icon is when GSX becomes deactivated after restarting (happens when you restart couatl from the GSX menu, I think) and I want to call up the menu again.

In the past, I also never deactivated GSX before take-off (and after I was done with ground services). Today, I tried doing that because I thought maybe that could solve this issue. Here is what I did:
- Spawn at EHAM, perform pre-flight activities, refuel through GSX, board passengers per GSX, push back per GSX (which worked fine)
- Deactivate GSX through the toolbar icon after all ground services were done (in fact it was shortly after take-off)
- Land at LIPE
- Activate GSX through the toolbar icon
- Select a gate in GSX, taxi there, then use GSX to: deboard, call catering, refuel for next flight , board and push back
At this last step, unfortunately did what it usually does: the wing walker asked me to confirm good engine start, but when opening the menu I had the choice to select where to taxi, but no option to confirm good engine start.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 12:00:38 pm »
Try to restart GSX after landing, and see if changes anything.

WernerAir

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 02:52:52 pm »
That I have already done - before landing, after landing, between deboarding and boarding...
It has absolutely no effect on the second pushback providing me the wrong menu at the end.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 03:06:03 pm »
I'm sorry but, if even a restart doesn't fix it, and you are absolutely sure you haven't closed GSX from the Toolbar while being serviced ( which was the only explanation perfectly compatible with your issue ), I don't have any other explanations how this can possibly be happening, and it would be helpful if somebody else reported it.

If this happens for you only with the FBW A320, check if this helps:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,29165.msg189749.html#msg189749

WernerAir

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 08:37:13 am »
As described above, I have this issue not only with the FBW A32NX, but also with the IniBuilds A310 - so with both aircraft with which I have tried it.

You are right that it is somewhat surprising that no one else has reported this problem, although I also wonder: haven't you been able to reproduce it?