Author Topic: VDGS : how far is too far ? :P  (Read 1482 times)

elpix

VDGS : how far is too far ? :P
« on: September 09, 2022, 05:32:16 pm »
Hi there

I would like to know if it is possible to increase the tolerance margin for the VDGS system :  when the STOP sign appears, the TOO FAR seems to pop up after only 1 foot farther, making it very difficult to ace the docking phase and forcing to step up violently on the brakes, making all the passengers sick :P

fahdriyami

Re: VDGS : how far is too far ? :P
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 05:59:07 pm »
The question is how fast are you going when parking? The slower you go, the easier it is to stop when it tells you to.

I usually keep it at 2 knots as I approach the last quarter of the stand.

That said, I'm really happy with VGDS in GSX. It's a wonderful addition to the sim.

elpix

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:16:41 pm »
The question is how fast are you going when parking? The slower you go, the easier it is to stop when it tells you to.

I usually keep it at 2 knots as I approach the last quarter of the stand.

That said, I'm really happy with VGDS in GSX. It's a wonderful addition to the sim.

I love it too and I find it far better than an agitated Marshaller :P   But I'm trying to be as slow as possible (with FENIX A320) and still have trouble trying to stop right on the line
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 06:18:33 pm by elpix »

Turok144

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 08:25:16 pm »
Same here, I also move forward slowly at 1-2 kts.  This works like a charm.  In the past, I had about 5-7 kts on the throttle and even though I was using the brake to control the speed I would overshoot the stopping point given by the VGDS system.

Today I was rewarded by the message, 'that was a good parking!" :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 03:43:14 pm »
In the past, I had about 5-7 kts on the throttle and even though I was using the brake to control the speed I would overshoot the stopping point given by the VGDS system.

Yes, 5-7 kts is a bit fast.

According to the official SafeDock manual, the default speed threshold for the "SLOW DOWN" message is 2m/sec, that equals 3 kts. meaning the expect the plane to approach slower than that. It's only a default, the operators can configure it, but I guess it's a sensible one.

Copper

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 04:07:16 pm »
I need to try it out a little more, but I think there is one kind of VDGS which doesn't have a STOP at all, it switches from 1ft to "too far" immediately.
I did not note down which type it was, but I've seen that on a stream on twitch as well. Not sure if it's a bug or that specific type is supposed to do that.

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 05:14:02 pm »
I just realized when you said that it goes " from 1ft to "too far"" that the last docking I did went from 1m to "too far" and I was thinking that I would have done a better job if it was in feet instead of meters.

Overall, I think the GSX VGDSs are pretty impressive. They react to the airplane immediately and are super easy to use to get your position on the line correct. Do the real ones actually go from 1m to "Stop"? Or do they drop down to a lower resolution like .1m near the stop point?

Edit: I just tried to set up a "T3-9 Ground Pole" at Verticalsim's KMYR Gate B3. It flat out does not work. Nothing displayed on it at all. Switched to the T2 and it worked great.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:41:15 pm by Pirateinparadise »
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

disco79stu

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 11:39:35 pm »
I have to say, I usually have no issues with finding the sweet spot with VDGS, but with the marshaller, it's kinda hard imo.
The thing is, I can't really tell when he's at HIS stopping point when he crosses the signal sticks because they "move with my movement". Most of the time, even at very low speeds, I can recognize the stop point only by the fact that the sticks aren't moving any further, so I stop. But this is usually too far already, and I get a nice "welcome wave" :D ... It would be nice to have some wiggle room here.

Leopardo Di Cardio

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 11:58:47 pm »
I need to try it out a little more, but I think there is one kind of VDGS which doesn't have a STOP at all, it switches from 1ft to "too far" immediately.
I did not note down which type it was, but I've seen that on a stream on twitch as well. Not sure if it's a bug or that specific type is supposed to do that.

For example LKPR ....3,2,1...too far...?? STOP maybe skipped...