Author Topic: GSX Stops Responding - Bad State  (Read 305 times)

SilentGunner13

GSX Stops Responding - Bad State
« on: September 13, 2024, 12:25:40 pm »
I've noticed that now under some conditions, GSX in MSFS can stop responding, but not in an obvious way.
What  I mean is that the menu can be opened and interacted with, but pressing buttons will do nothing. Even pressing "Restart Couatl" will do nothing. It will close the window, but the Couatl engine remains up, and does not restart.
I checked logs and it does appear to be a permissions issue on my end. Although I've only noticed this behaviour on the most recent version of GSX, nothing has changed, and the folder has fully open permissions.
However, the point I am making here is that its clear GSX is stuck in some kind of infinite loop, crash loop or some other form of error state and is not notifying the user, and is unable to recover.

This is a sporadic issue, sometimes I am able to go through my flows just fine. Other times, i encounter this issue. I would say it impacts about 20% of my flights. It is also not restricted to any one aircraft. I've had it occur across multiple airframes.
I've attached the log files to the post. Note that Copy (2) and Copy (3) occurred within minutes of each other.

Perhaps there is a solution to the permissions issue that I'm encountering and I'm all ears for that, but the main thing I'm trying to raise here is that GSX is getting into a failure state that locks up the program, but gives no prompt or indication to the user that something is wrong.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Stops Responding - Bad State
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 12:32:00 am »
One of your log is from end of August, so we'll ignore it.

However, two logs are from Sept 13th, so I'm not sure if you already tried to update GSX, because we had an update exactly that day, but your log shows you are outdated. The main problem with your log is this line:

Failed to write menu [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Addon Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro/html_ui/InGamePanels/FSDT_GSX_Panel/menu'

Which is very serious, because it would prevent the GSX menu from working completely. This might be either a file permissions issue, or an antivirus issue. File permission seems to be unlikely, because the FSDT Installer will always set full permission to your user to the install folder, so it's very unlikely you don't have permissions to write there UNLESS your Windows user account is of limited permissions.

This means, the more likely cause for that error seems to be the antivirus, preventing GSX to write one of its own files. Be sure you add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS, then run the FSDT Installer and perfom an update CHECK.

SilentGunner13

Re: GSX Stops Responding - Bad State
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 01:20:21 pm »
One of your log is from end of August, so we'll ignore it.

However, two logs are from Sept 13th, so I'm not sure if you already tried to update GSX, because we had an update exactly that day, but your log shows you are outdated. The main problem with your log is this line:

Failed to write menu [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Addon Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro/html_ui/InGamePanels/FSDT_GSX_Panel/menu'

Which is very serious, because it would prevent the GSX menu from working completely. This might be either a file permissions issue, or an antivirus issue. File permission seems to be unlikely, because the FSDT Installer will always set full permission to your user to the install folder, so it's very unlikely you don't have permissions to write there UNLESS your Windows user account is of limited permissions.

This means, the more likely cause for that error seems to be the antivirus, preventing GSX to write one of its own files. Be sure you add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS, then run the FSDT Installer and perfom an update CHECK.

Well, even still after a clean install of GSX on the latest version, I am still seeing the issue of permission denied. Ironically I've only started noticing this issue since the 3.1.3 version, which included:
  • FSDT Installer Change: Automatically add install folder to the Antivirus Exclusions (only is using Windows Defender).

and the only antivirus I'm using is Windows Defender. I've added the directory for the Addon Manager and the Couatl64_MSFS.exe to the defender exclusions and yet I still see the problem.

Anyway, I'm troubleshooting that in my own capacity. That's not the point I was trying to make on this post.

The point I was trying to get across is that GSX is getting into an error state, and by the fact that it is logging that error condition, is aware that it is in error, but there is no indiciation to the user that something is wrong. All you're presented with is a completely non-responsive UI, including a non-responsive Restart Couatl button. There ideally needs to be some kind of indication to the end user that something has gone wrong, other than having to trawl through the logs.