Author Topic: Where does GSX get its gate numbers from?  (Read 1920 times)

HAExperts

Where does GSX get its gate numbers from?
« on: September 06, 2022, 08:49:18 am »
I have noticed sometimes, not always, GSX has me go to a different gate then the actual number assigned to it.  Meaning of GAX says C11 but it’s actually 11 or even sometimes C12.  Wondering where it gets them from and if I can alter them to the correct ones if need be.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Where does GSX get its gate numbers from?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 10:08:10 am »
GSX reads the numbers from the airport file, so they can't be wrong, unless the wrong scenery is read ( encrypted airports, for example, can't be read )

Wimma

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 02:22:41 pm »
There is also a problem with devs not naming them correctly in the airport file itself. DigitalDesign is a good example for that. At LOWS the parking positions are named „Parking 1, Parking 1, Parking 2, Parking 2, etc.“ instead of W1, E1, W2, E2, etc.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 03:21:37 pm »
@virtuali ... they are read wrong.
I changed the airport bgl file for simwings hamburg to get the correct gate's.. due to limitations in the naming conventions its not possible at all ...

Look at the attached file

- Parking at Gate "01A" -> Renamed to "GATE_A 1A" -> VDGS displays just A1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 03:24:32 pm »
@virtuali ... they are read wrong. I changed the airport bgl file for simwings hamburg to get the correct gate's.. due to limitations in the naming conventions its not possible at all ...

They are not read wrong, as you can see the GSX parking dialog correctly indicates the Gate as 1A so, as far as GSX is concerned, the Gate IS correctly, you are only being mislead by the GSX VGDS, that hasn't been programmed to show the Suffix too, but it does know which parking you are on.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 03:37:39 pm »
That's my point: The missing suffix, so its wrong or "not complete"... i know its showing the right spot; but its the name (i tend to forget where i am when asking for clearance^^)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 04:23:35 pm »
That's my point: The missing suffix, so its wrong or "not complete"... i know its showing the right spot; but its the name (i tend to forget where i am when asking for clearance^^)

This thread started by someone saying GSX read the gate completely wrong, like confusing C11 with 11 or sometimes 12, which could indicate a problem with the airport, like reading the wrong file, or just the way the developer labeled parking spots.

Yours was just a missing feature from the VGDS object with GSX itself clearly showing the correct name and, of course, following your report, support for the parking Suffix in the SafeDock VGDS it has already been added in today's Update.