Author Topic: Please could we stop GSX from automatically refuelling after boarding?  (Read 2971 times)

alexberry

Hi,

Would it be possible, please, to stop GSX from automatically triggering a refuelling once boarding is complete?  I prefer to refuel before passengers board, but even if I request refuelling and complete that before I start the boarding process, GSX then goes on to trigger another refuelling after boarding is complete.  I don't have the auto- option checking in settings, btw.  I do have the always progressive option and 3rd party fuel system options checked though, if that has any bearing, in order for it to work properly with the PMDG B738.  Another option would be to allow refuelling and boarding (baggage loading part) to happen simultenously where the aircraft is big enough (i.e. B738) to support those two operations at the same time.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Please could we stop GSX from automatically refuelling after boarding?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 02:17:40 pm »
GSX doesn't do anything automatically, unless you enable the "Assistance Services “Auto” mode" explained at Page 26 of the manual.

alexberry

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 02:22:44 pm »
Thanks Umberto.  I did confirm in my original post that the assistance services auto mode is unchecked.

I believe others are having this same issue too; it's not just me being an idiot.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 03:08:34 pm »
There's another possible reason why GSX started refueling automatically, and if you enabled the "Detect custom aircraft system refueling", which is also another option that is Disabled by default and it's supposed to do exactly that: calls automatically the GSX Fuel truck as soon the fuel quantity in the airplane increases.

alexberry

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 03:19:12 pm »
That might be it.  My understanding was that for custom aircraft refuelling, you call for refuelling and then, once in place and prompted by GSX, you put the desired quantity of fuel in.  GSX then detects that increase and uses that as a trigger to finish the refuelling process, either immediately, or, if progressive refuel is enabled, after a certain period.

But what you are saying is that if you increase the fuel, besides being used as a flag to indicate that fuelling is complete, it also then triggers GSX to send another fuel truck...

alexberry

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 09:32:44 pm »
Seems you were right, or sort of - manual doesn't say the GSX custom aircraft system refueling automatically calls for refueling but actually says you need to call it 'manually', once the custom system has been activated.  Anyway, I'm in the MSFS PMDG 737-800, and I referred back to the GSX manual on fuelling.  So I have the custom aircraft refueling option set, but also the option to always refuel progressively.  However, on re-reading the manual, this option to always refuel progressively is not needed with the PMDG, or that's what it appears to imply, so I disabled that.  First time, I didn't get the fuel truck returning a second time after boarding was complete, so that's good news.  However, there is a slight issue with the PMDG in MSFS, which the GSX manual doesn't address, which is that it suggests selecting "choose one of the “TURN TIPE” options, SHORT/LONG/MANUAL".  These options don't exist in the FS Actions / Ground Services menu in MSFS PMDG 737s.  So going through the recommended process, you get two fuel trucks turning up together and fighting over which one is going to put fuel in the bird.

Is there a safe, non-destructive way to go through the PMDG custom fueling mechanism without the PMDG fuel truck turning up?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 09:43:45 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 09:43:50 pm »
Seems you were right, or sort of - manual doesn't say the GSX custom aircraft system refueling automatically calls for refueling but actually says you need to call it 'manually', once the custom system has been activated

The manual doesn't really say that, it says with the "Detect custom aircraft system refueling" just CALL the GSX Refueling automatically whenever a fuel increase is detected, but that doesn't change the fact you still have to refuel manually.

There is a reason why that option is disabled by default, because it's useful only in a very specific case: when the airplane has its own "turnaround" simulation, in which you start it from the FMC, but the refueling won't start immediately, only some minutes later, depending on the turnaround time so, normally, you should call the GSX Truck in the in-between time, from when the Turnaound started to when the airplane actually decided to start refueling itself.

We don't know if there are airplanes in MSFS that work like that, but we left the option as an option, in case they'll arrive or if existing ones will be updated to work like that.

Is there a safe, non-destructive way to go through the PMDG custom fueling mechanism without the PMDG fuel truck turning up?

We explained the procedure so many times, and is really easy, provided you keep "Detect custom aircraft system refueling" DISABLED ( DEFAULT ) and "Always refuel Progressively" Enabled (this is only to see the GSX fuel counter going slowly up, instead of very fast ):

1) Start with some initial quantity in the airplane.

2) Call the GSX Fuel

3) Don't change the Fuel quantity until AFTER the Fuel truck is in position and the voice asks you to do so.

4) Go in the Fuel menu in the FMC and set the new quantity. If it's higher than the quantity you had in Step #1, the GSX fuel truck will work correctly, otherwise it will go away immediately.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:17:13 pm by virtuali »

alexberry

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 09:25:26 pm »
I'm still having considerable trouble with this.  I have read the manual and your (Umberto) previous notes repeatedly, and yet the refuelling truck gets called automatically a 2nd time once boarding is complete.

So, just to be clear, I am flying the PMDG 737-800 in MSFS.

1) Per your guidance, I have "Detect custom aircraft system refueling" DISABLED and I have "Always refuel Progressively" Enabled.

2) I start with a small initial quantity of fuel onboard.

3) I call the GSX fuel prior to calling for boarding.  Once the fuel truck is on its way, I commence boarding, to get the pilots and crew on board and perhaps the first few passengers.

4) Once the fuel truck arrives, and once prompted by GSX, I set the desired fuel for my trip in the FMC, which is higher than amount set initially in step 1 above.

5) Fuel truck completes the simulation of fuel going in, as expected.

6) Boarding completes, both passengers and baggage.

7) GSX then announces that the fuel truck has been called and is on its way again!  I then have to wait for the whole process to complete, including adding more fuel via the FMC in order for GSZ to register that I've added fuel...

How do I stop this?  Is there a shortcut key for calling the GSX fuel truck that I'm unaware of but inadvertently clicking?  Could it be caused by interference from other add-ons (I have Navigraph in-game charts, and SHIFT-Z stats installed)?

One point in your previous post which confuses me, and appears to be contradictory to your later point is where you say "[the manual] says with the "always refuel progressively" just CALL the GSX Refueling automatically whenever a fuel increase is detected, but that doesn't change the fact you still have to refuel manually.".  This implies that whenever GSX detects an increase in fuel, it calls the GSX Refuelling automatically...   In which case, if I follow the steps you've set out, and increase the fuel in the FMC as you've indicated, and once prompted to do so, is it this increase in fuel which then triggers a subsequent GSX refuel?  I simply don't follow the logic, but perhaps I'm yet again being thick and don't understand.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 07:17:58 pm »
appears to be contradictory to your later point is where you say "[the manual] says with the "always refuel progressively"

I've edited the post, it was the "Detect custom aircraft system refueling", which is what the manual says, I just quoted it wrong.

Is there a shortcut key for calling the GSX fuel truck that I'm unaware of but inadvertently clicking?

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, if there's an hotkey to call the default Fuel truck and you (or another add-on) triggers it, GSX will intercept it and will call its own fuel truck instead so yes, that might be possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:19:36 pm by virtuali »