Author Topic: Updating  (Read 4588 times)

krishawkins

Updating
« on: September 05, 2022, 01:13:07 am »
So how do we update GSX when the live update continues to say update how do we know when it's a new update there?

Cygnific

Re: Updating
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 01:58:39 am »
Good question, i'd also like to know when a update is available instead of just guessing. I really hope the updater gets a update itself in the near future too. 

Turok144

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 02:35:33 am »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 02:19:56 pm »
As already discussed in so many other threads, there are multiple ways of knowing when an update is released:

1) By clicking the "Release Notes" button in the FSDT Installer.

2) By checking the Sticky thread in this section, which has a last update date:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html

3) By checking this page:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

Cygnific

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 05:00:23 pm »
Why not color the update button or a message if there is a update? We still dont know if we updated already or not by looking at release notes.

Not to sound grumpy but that is the main reason to use the installer.

1) Installer checks for update
2) Checks the manifest or whatever file for version.
3) Let user know there is a update! <
4) Install..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:04:52 pm by Cygnific »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 05:05:36 pm »
Why not color the update button or a message if there is a update? We still dont know if we updated already or not by looking at release notes.

Because, as explained so many times, in order to be sure if you have the latest update or not, we need to check all your local files, one by one, and that takes about 90% of the time it takes to DO the update because, if wanted to have the update button being "smart" and showing the *actual* status of each product, such check would have to be made for each product before starting the program, taking about the same time as...just running the updater.

Cygnific

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 05:21:59 pm »

Huh... If you update the application shouldn't there be a version update made in a file and only check that file when starting the installer? Why do you need to check every file?? Checking every file (crc) is something you do when having a problem.
I'm probably stupid but the logic here is kinda weird.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 05:27:49 pm »
Why do you need to check every file?? Checking every file (crc) is something you do when having a problem.

And how do I know there is problem ?

Saving a version number somewhere only give users a false sense of security, because the only way to be sure an updated completed, is to check every single file so no, the logic is not "weird", is the most reliable, it just you are not accustomed to it, because other apps prefer to have a faster startup time with the illusion "everything's fine", when you just can't be sure, unless you check all your local files, one by one.

Cygnific

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 05:43:31 pm »
So after installing and checking every file you still are not sure enough to write a it's updated tag and use that if there is a new update? Come on now.

How would you feel if MSFS did that with a million files "just to be sure"? Why not ask a user if they want to have all files checked before a update if you really want to check all files. I'm not saying it isn't the most reliable way, but is it really needed?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:48:42 pm by Cygnific »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 06:00:43 pm »
So after installing and checking every file you still are not sure enough to write a it's updated tag and use that if there is a new update? Come on now.

And what difference would make if we signaled "You are now updated!" after you made an update ? Even this was saved somewhere, it won't help much for the next startup because, there might have been another update in the meantime, so even if we got some kind of notification from the server there's "some" update, we would still need to check all your files.

And what if we don't have an update, but you accidentally remove a file or a folder, or make a change you don't know how to go back ? What if your antivirus removed a file without warning ?

Our "weird" system protected from that, because it will restore everything to its place when you click Update, even if there wasn't any update on our side. Other "easier" system would require a reinstall or a repair.

How would you feel if MSFS did that with a million files "just to be sure"? Why not ask a user if they want to have all files checked before a update if you really want to check all files. I'm not saying it isn't the most reliable way, but is it really needed?

And what do you think MSFS is doing when you see that "Checking for updates" sign at each startup ? And do you find the MSFS own update process 100% reliable ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:14:19 pm by virtuali »

Cygnific

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 06:13:38 pm »
There can't be a update difference because if the user didn't update before and skipped a update you have the new version on the server with the differences already patched and included. The previous unpatched files should then be updated to the latest version also..

i.e:

If I have 1.0.0 and skipped 1.0.1 1.0.2 you should push 1.0.3 (which should include the previous patched files from 1.0.1 and 1.0.2).
And not download 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 and last 1.0.3

I know exactly what MSFS checks, and it's not all files. Because it's not needed in 99,9% of the time

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 06:20:57 pm »
There can't be a update difference because if the user didn't update before and skipped a update you have the new version on the server with the differences already patched and included. The previous unpatched files should then be updated to the latest version also..

i.e:

If I have 1.0.0 and skipped 1.0.1 1.0.2 you should push 1.0.3 (which should include the previous patched files from 1.0.1 and 1.0.2).
And not download 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 and last 1.0.3

As I've said, your method is not 100% reliable, because it doesn't take into account all the following possible outcomes:

- A bad download, maybe of just some files or just a single file.

- A download interrupted with the "Cancel" button, with some files updated and some not. To prevent this we'd need a rollback feature, like doing a backup of every file changed during an update, so it could go back to the previous state if the download was interrupted for any reason, taking an unpredictable amount of extra disk space, depending how large the new files were.

- A correct download, but the file arrived was outdated, because the local cloudflare cache wasn't updated, so the file you got from your local cloudflare node is intact (not a bad download), but it's not the one we have on our server.

- A file you removed by mistake

- A file you changed by mistake

- A file removed by the antivirus

- A file corrupted locally because filesystem problems.

Each and every one of these cases cannot be detected by a saved "version number", but it CAN by checking each and every file individually.

I know exactly what MSFS checks, and it's not all files. Because it's not needed in 99,9% of the time

And that's precisely why we all heard stories of users having to reinstall it from scratch, after an update. Happened to thousands of users.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:25:33 pm by virtuali »

Cygnific

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 07:13:06 pm »

In case of MSFS it would be nice to have the option to check all files. But not forced on every startup, for the simple reason of time to check every single file and only needed in a small percentage of cases (1000's with a problem vs a couple of million without) it really isn't suitable to waste 10-30+ minutes of file checking.

I understand your point of view but really it's kinda over the top with what if's though..

Anyway, this leads to argumenting over and over..  I like GSX Pro a lot and it would be nice to see this gets implemented as a base feature into MSFS one day, who knows..

Have a great day Umberto.

core1450

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 08:41:20 pm »
Installing GSX takes so incredibly long. Is that normal? Each file is loaded individually and not in packages.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 08:43:27 pm »
In case of MSFS it would be nice to have the option to check all files. But not forced on every startup

That's exactly how it is now. You are not forced to click the "Update" button.

for the simple reason of time to check every single file and only needed in a small percentage of cases (1000's with a problem vs a couple of million without) it really isn't suitable to waste 10-30+ minutes of file checking.

What ? Is really taking "10-30+ minutes" to check for updates ? For a single product ? That's unheard of.  When I say "it takes some time to check all files", I mean it would take like a minute or less, instead of being immediate!