Author Topic: Unable to install  (Read 1350 times)

tobycrick

Unable to install
« on: September 12, 2022, 02:09:16 pm »
I’ve recently had to do a fresh re-install of MSFS into a different location due to running out of space on the original drive. When trying to re-install GSX using the FSDT installer it doesn’t read the fact MSFS Is there. Is there a way to manually select a path. If it helps I have 3 SSD’s
E: (windows) Wich used to have MSFS on
D: now has MSFS on with the path D:/MicrosoftFlightSimulator
C:

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Unable to install
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 02:15:46 pm »
Please clarify, have you moved the entirely MSFS installation, or just the Content location ?

tobycrick

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 02:25:12 pm »
I deleted all files in the old location and re-installed from steam MSFS then opened MSFS and selected a new location to save the files that it then downloads (Wich is D:/MicrosoftFlightSimulator)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 02:31:08 pm »
You should never, ever delete files manually, you should have uninstalled using the proper button in Steam, which will allow the uninstaller to run, clean some files, and then reinstall, using of of the locations for the Steam library.

tobycrick

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 02:32:44 pm »
Sorry yes I did do the uninstall button on steam but then I deleted the leftover files (should I not have done that)?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 02:34:34 pm »
Sorry yes I did do the uninstall button on steam but then I deleted the leftover files (should I not have done that)?

Difficult to say without knowing which leftover files you had. Normally, regardless where the main MSFS is installed, on Steam, your preferences file, which is the only thing GSX looks for, should always be located here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Do you have this folder ? Does it contain an UserCFG.OPT file inside ?

tobycrick

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 02:40:59 pm »
Every time I uninstall a steam game it always leaves over 3rd party DLC that has been downloaded from outside of the game (EG GSX, PMDG.) I don’t have that folder as the folder that used to be there is now D:/MicrosoftFlightSimulator but only contains the files official and community

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 02:45:58 pm »
I don’t have that folder as the folder that used to be there is now D:/MicrosoftFlightSimulator but only contains the files official and community

That is the "Content" folder, which contains only Community and Official, which takes like 95% of the space.

The installation folder of the game *itself* should be in your Steam Library, which includes files like FlightSimulator.exe and your preferences should always be here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Regardless where the Content is and regardless there the Steam library is. If you don't have that folder, that looks like a problem with your install.

tobycrick

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 02:49:56 pm »
oh ok. ive just checked my steam library and its not there either (D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator) but it sounds like from what you're saying i should re-install it in the original place but select the D drive (has most empty space) for the content folder?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 02:54:57 pm »
oh ok. ive just checked my steam library and its not there either (D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator) but it sounds like from what you're saying i should re-install it in the original place but select the D drive (has most empty space) for the content folder?

Yes, moving the install folder in Steam won't save you much space, since 95% (possibly more) of the space is taken by the Content, which are you asked where to install *after* the Steam install is completed, when you start MSFS for the first time.

tobycrick

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 02:55:57 pm »
ok, thanks for the help :)