Author Topic: Perpetual update.  (Read 1571 times)

Grant1234

Perpetual update.
« on: August 29, 2022, 05:52:33 pm »
GSX Pro MSFS. The FSDT installer is stuck on a Perpetual update, I read last week that there was a problem with local nodes not being updated and this caused it to keep downloading the same files over and over again, surely this has been sorted out by now. Or is it still knackered.

Grant Galloway

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Perpetual update.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 05:55:41 pm »
We can't possibly know when all nodes will be updated.

We contacted cloudflare support asking exactly how to know each node situation, we are waiting to hear back from them (nothing happens in weekends when dealing with large companies), in the meantime you can use the Offline Installer, which is being constantly updated with all the fix as they come.

mobbe321

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 06:23:22 pm »
Do we have to re-download the "offline update" every time or the last one downloaded will do?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 07:07:13 pm »
Do we have to re-download the "offline update" every time or the last one downloaded will do?

Of course, it's offline so, any time we have an update, you must redownload it again.

smoothchat

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 10:41:44 am »
Every time I run FSDT installer, it does an update.  (whether files are out of date or not)

Personally,  I would rather have the program alert me that an update is available which I can choose once the app is loaded.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 10:45:58 am »
Every time I run FSDT installer, it does an update.  (whether files are out of date or not)

That's doesn't have anything to do with how the program works. It's only caused by your local Cloudflare node still not having completed all the synchronization. In fact, it shows the Live Update is *working*, because it KNOWS there's an update to do, but it keeps getting served the wrong file, so it tries again.

In normal times, when all servers are fine, you just click the updater, it will update everything, and if you start it a 2nd time, it won't download anything. That's how it always worked for many months before, and that's how it will work again for you when your node will finally gets all the updates.

And that's why we have an Offline installer to cover precisely this case.

airbumps

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 11:57:18 am »
Umberto when will all these services be "fine" and up to date? Its been over a week now...shouldn't they all be updated by now?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 12:02:09 pm »
Umberto when will all these services be "fine" and up to date? Its been over a week now...shouldn't they all be updated by now?

We don't know right now. I only see reports from users who said the problem fixed by itself, which is expected.

We reached out to Cloudflare support asking if there's some way to know the situation of each node, but they don't reply immediately and there was a weekend in between, we got the first reply from support yesterday, so there's now some troubleshooting going on.

Grant1234

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 04:34:12 pm »
Thanks for the rep!y Umberto, I have used the offline installer but it still shows that there is an update available. Is it the case that once I use the offline installer I should not touch the fsdt installer?

Also one big fix for this would be a version number that customers can see and know what the latest version is, surely it's not rocket science to add a version number.

Grant Galloway.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 05:10:37 pm »
Is it the case that once I use the offline installer I should not touch the fsdt installer?

That's the whole point of having an offline installer to begin with: to overcome the possibly issues caused by your local cloudflare nodes still not updated. If you run the updater after the offline installer, and your node is outdated, it will downgrade the files installed by the offline installer.

When the servers will all be in sync, there wouldn't be any need for the offline installer anymore.

Also one big fix for this would be a version number that customers can see and know what the latest version is, surely it's not rocket science to add a version number.

The offline installer does have a version number and a readme file with a date.

See here the explanation why a version number is not very useful, unless the updater checks all files, one by one:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26697.msg175858.html#msg175858

And of course, it would be even more useless if the updater couldn't even trust what's being downloaded.

tldspectre

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 06:42:39 pm »
Would it be possible for the person(s) who upload the latest version of AddonManager.exe to append the latest version number to the end of the file name (e.g. AddonManager1.5.exe)? That would save folks the trouble of downloading the file only to find out they already have that version. Otherwise it's a guessing game whether the file has been recently updated or not.