Author Topic: Usage of INI and BGL files  (Read 1648 times)

mmcmah

Usage of INI and BGL files
« on: August 27, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for approving my account on the forum and thank you for this great product. As others have said, it adds many parts that were critically missing from the sim!

I'm trying to use the appropriate methods to ensure proper usage in various airports (3rd party), and I have seen various suggestions on how to install those configurations. However, I'm not clear on the steps and I apologize for the ignorant questions, but here goes:

1. Initially, the 3rd party exclusion button in the configuration window found just a few of my 3rd party airport, but I chalked it up to non-ICAO naming at those airports and manually excluded them. Is there anything else I needed to do?

2. Based on finding airport configuration files of Flightsim, I installed those in the virtuali\GSX\MSFS folder as instructed.

3. Then I found instructions that told me to put the BGL files for an airport in the SE folder as #2, which I did for various 3rd party airports.

4. Finally, I've read some people mention that the AFCAD path to an airport BGL file needs to be changed in the INI file. I have not done this yet.

Which of the above are the correct things to do and what effect does each of these steps actually do?

Thank you for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Usage of INI and BGL files
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 03:44:32 pm »
1. Initially, the 3rd party exclusion button in the configuration window found just a few of my 3rd party airport, but I chalked it up to non-ICAO naming at those airports and manually excluded them. Is there anything else I needed to do?

No, you are fine.

2. Based on finding airport configuration files of Flightsim, I installed those in the virtuali\GSX\MSFS folder as instructed.

%APPDATA%\virtuali\GSX\MSFS

3. Then I found instructions that told me to put the BGL files for an airport in the SE folder as #2, which I did for various 3rd party airports.

What's the SE folder. If you mean the scenery own folder inside the package, they work from there as well, just that place is more suited for developers.

4. Finally, I've read some people mention that the AFCAD path to an airport BGL file needs to be changed in the INI file. I have not done this yet.

Just because he haven't read the manual carefully enough. Quoting from Page 46:

The name of the .BGL used to customize the scenery is listed in the [GENERAL] section of the GSX .INI profile. It will include the complete path valid for your system but, don’t worry, there’s no need to edit it out before sharing your work, since GSX will only use the .BGL filename, and will ignore the full path altogether, it has been designed like this exactly to facilitate sharing of GSX .INI profiles without worrying about different paths.

mmcmah

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:59:59 pm »
Grazie, Humberto.

What I meant in #3 is the "same" folder (%APPDATA%\virtuali\GSX\MSFS). So, I copied the BGL files from the folders within the individual scenery packages into the %APPDATA%\virtuali\GSX\MSFS folder. It sounds like I didn't need to do that because the program is designed to find the BGL files in the scenery folder structure?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 05:49:08 pm »
It sounds like I didn't need to do that because the program is designed to find the BGL files in the scenery folder structure?

You don't  have to copy the .BGL, unless you have a .BGL which has been purposely made for GSX because, for any reason, it must be different than the normal one used by the scenery.

Or, if there's a scenery has been bought on the Marketplace, the developer might have graciously provided with an unencrypted version of the airport .BGL, which you are supposed to place there, so GSX can read it, while the simulator will continue to read the encrypted version.

mmcmah

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 06:52:12 pm »
Thank you again. So any airport BGL that's been designed for GSX needs to go in the virtuali\GSX\MSFS folder? Do I then still exclude the airport in the GSX configuration menu, or not?

Sorry for being so ignorant with this. It's my first time using GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 07:27:04 pm »
Thank you again. So any airport BGL that's been designed for GSX needs to go in the virtuali\GSX\MSFS folder?

Only a very specific case in which the scenery developer explicitly said he had to do changes to the scenery JUST for GSX, which for some reason don't work well if the scenery was used as is by both the simulator own AI system and GSX at the same time. It's a VERY rare situation.

Do I then still exclude the airport in the GSX configuration menu, or not?

Usually yes, because if the airport changed anything in its parking arrangement compared to default, you would see double parking spots. Of course, you won't have GSX jetways there as well.

mmcmah

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 08:16:39 pm »
Grazie mille, signore.