Author Topic: Jetways  (Read 5953 times)

SKYGODDESS

Jetways
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:35:00 am »
Hello everyone I am new here I have purchased several of the FSDT product I am probably the only female here
First of I think I speak for everyone in that the sceneries are fabulous .
The only thing I wish to see corrected ;) for the fs2004 products are the positioning of the jetways, they are turned outward ofcourse they are not animated but it would be nice to have them lined up so can taxi your aircraft as close to them as possible.

P.S
please don't yell at me if I post this in the wrong place its my first time here.

Ciao.
Skygoddess

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Jetways
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:16:24 am »
Maybe you should post your concern about the jetways in the area for product support for that particular airport or airports. Listed towards the bottom of the forum is all the airports from both Cloud9 and FSDT. I dont have FS9 installed anymore so I can't say that I have noticed them not being lined up properly.

Welcome to the forum.  ;D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »
Can you please be more specific like, for example, indicating which scenery you are referring to, and which parking position ?

Or, are you simply saying that you would like to have the jetways to be modeled as fixed in their extended position ? If this is the case, it doesn't make much sense: if they are not animated, they should be in the retracted position, which is where they are most of the time.

sticky1202

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:41:05 pm »
While trying not to speak for anyone, I think the suggestion is that the jetways would be modeled in the extended position, so that when aircraft are parked at the gate, it looks like they are in use, loading/unloading passengers. I would assume that would be pretty tricky with the different aircraft sizes/types. At airports like JFK and ORD, most of the gates are in use almost continuously.   :-\
                    Jim

SKYGODDESS

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:15 am »
Thank you sticky1202 that is exactly what I am trying to explain in my post.
most of the jetways are turned outward I have seen a lot of freeware airports where there are various jetway hight positions but at least you can choose where you want to park depending on which aircraft you are piloting but they are fixed into position ready for your aircraft where as in these wonderful paywares they are not lined up they are away from the stopping point.
So is as if you are expecting your imaginary passengers to jump off the aircraft and hit the ground rolling. Could you imagine the liability? OUCH!  ;D Just my observation.....For me it would make the scenery so much better if the fore mention technique is used in future distribution.

Loyal
Customer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:17 am »
Thank you sticky1202 that is exactly what I am trying to explain in my post.

I've understood exactly what you were trying to explain but, keep in mind that:

Our airports are designed for FSX, so we have animated jetways there.

On FS9, since there are not animated jetways by the program, we modeled as static, because most of user would prefer to use AES.

We used to have animated jetways in FS9 as well, way before anyone else. But this took a lot of work, because we also had airplane detection and different animations based on that. You can see an example of them at Cloud9 EHAM. But this was 4 years ago.

Today, since there's FSX, we have to do a different modeling for it, which doesn't apply to FS9, and lots of users asked to have AES support instead so, it doesn't make any sense to do a lot of additional work for FS9, that most user wouldn't use anyway, because they rather use AES.

SKYGODDESS

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:43:46 am »
Thanks for the reply an explanation but my concern isn't animation, its jetway positioning . :-[ :'(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:15 am »
Thanks for the reply an explanation but my concern isn't animation, its jetway positioning . :-[ :'(

I just don't agree with the suggestion they should be placed extended. This because it will be always wrong, except for a specific airplane type that happens to have the correct door height.

And of course, which happens to also have a matching body width because, if we choose a position that would be good for, let's say, a 737, if you park lined up with the docking system with a 747, you'll see the jetway *inside* the airplane fuselage. And the opposite would be true: if we modeled to accomodate even a 747, there will be a large gap between the jetway and the fuselage, when parking with a smaller plane.

And, they will look wrong when there's no airplane either, because that's not how they look like in real life when the parking stand is empty so, there's no other solution than to model them in the retracted position, at least they'll not get in the way of anything.