Author Topic: Drop after pushback  (Read 1771 times)

jonz747

Drop after pushback
« on: August 26, 2022, 05:27:01 pm »
Is there a way to stop GSX from lifting the aircraft? At the end of the pushback theres an unceremonious drop which kills it for me even though I don't see gsx physically lifting the plane

Barnes

Re: Drop after pushback
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:00:15 pm »
Umberto,

I understand that this drop is a result of the way that GSX handles the pushback, but it seems to keep coming up - And I must agree that it is an immersion killer.

Is there any way that this could be overcome in the future by adding an option for GSX to use the default MSFS pushback system?

I am guessing that you programmed GSX pushback in the way that you did so that the pushback can be saved as part of a custom profile for the parking spot.

Perhaps with an MSFS option available, we could still create a custom pushback for "single use", without the option of being saved, similar to what is done with Toolbar Pushback?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 03:15:04 am »
I understand that this drop is a result of the way that GSX handles the pushback, but it seems to keep coming up - And I must agree that it is an immersion killer.

It's the best compromise, considering how the simulator works.

Is there any way that this could be overcome in the future by adding an option for GSX to use the default MSFS pushback system?

It could, but it would make the pushback less accurate.

I am guessing that you programmed GSX pushback in the way that you did so that the pushback can be saved as part of a custom profile for the parking spot.

Not really, it always been like this, years before we could create a custom route. But FSX/P3D sceneries weren't very sloped, it any at all. No, the real solution would be having a way to shutdown inertia, we'll continue to look in to that, but I'm not prepared to compromise on accuracy and smoothness, to *approach* GSX precision using the default system, we would have to send lots of events per second, to keep chasing the path, and that is harder on the simulation than just setting the plane heading, which is a data variable, not an event.

Barnes

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 03:39:52 am »

Understood. Thanks for your detailed reply.
Fingers crossed that you can find a way to disable the inertia during pushback.

Guenseli

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 08:39:20 am »
Yes, hope we can get around that in a way.
Really annoying, sorry

Otherwise it is a great product! thx for it!

jgoggi

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 09:14:57 am »
I used Toolbar Pushback (Ambitious Pilot) and if I remember well it released the aircraft gracefully. Is there a reason?
James Goggi

Guenseli

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 10:04:41 am »
Hi Umberto. Any ideas on a solution to this issue ?

There are two issues, which are not exactly the same:

- A small bump after disconnecting the towbar. This will happen regardless of the airplane, but it changes depending on the scenery, and it's due to the fact almost every airport in MSFS has some kind of elevation difference.

The way GSX pushback works, it freezes the airplane, but it doesn't disable the simulation, otherwise the airplane and the tow truck would proceed in a straight line, always at the same initial altitude MSL, because with the simulation disabled, they won't "feel" the terrain underneath. Also, disabling the simulation would disable almost all systems so, clearly, that's not an option. Instead, when the airplane is just frozen, it won't move during the pushback, so there will be no jittery due to fight between the flight model and GSX controlling it, but when the terrain changes elevation during the path, the airplane inertia system will register it so, at the end of the pushback, when it gets unfrozen, the altitude difference will catch up, causing that bump. We use some mitigation feature, like setting all the acceleration variables to 0 just before and just after unfreezing, but couldn't manage to remove it entirely. The issue is, if we didn't freeze the airplane during pushback, it you start engines, it's likely that just the movement caused by idle thrust might be enough to cause jitters, because two vectors forces would be fighting at each frame, the tow truck would likely slide as if was on ice, etc. We found that kind of bump to be a minor nuisance, compared to the alternatives.

An alternative might have been using the default Left/Right pushback events, like other default-based systems do, but that's not precise enough for what we need, since we couldn't control the position and especially the heading as finely as we can do now (small decimals of a degree), we would have a coarse Left/Right control that, since input events are processed only at 6hz, would probably always chasing the line, in addition of course to the aggravation of spamming simconnect with events, instead of setting data variables, which is way gentler to the simulation.

Having the option to raise the gear or not in Towbarless truck doesn't make any difference, once the airplane is frozen, it doesn't really matter if it's pitched up or not. We have a custom value that has been tuned manually to show just the right amount of pitch up, depending on the airplane, they don't react the same, it depends on their payload and the shockers compression value.

- Some reaction in the airplane custom systems.

That's a completely different issues, and it can be fixed completely once you'll see the first developers integrating GSX. They can detect when GSX is pushing and change any assumptions affected system about the airplane status, so it won't trigger any specific alarms.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 11:00:57 am »
I used Toolbar Pushback (Ambitious Pilot) and if I remember well it released the aircraft gracefully. Is there a reason?

Because it uses the default Pushback method.

We might experiment to see if we could offer it as a backup option, it will likely be less accurate and possibly have a greater impact on the sim overall because it would require to continuously send events (the higher the precision we want, the more events per second we'll have to send), which are bit more hard on the simulation, compared to just control the truck/airplane position and heading with direct data set.

Barnes

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 12:58:07 pm »
We might experiment to see if we could offer it as a backup option

Thanks Umberto. The default system is not too bad, IMHO.
As noted, it doesn’t suffer from the “drop” and as a bonus, the tug accelerates and stops more smoothly at the start and at the end of push. It would be fantastic to see the GSX features added to it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:15:16 pm by Barnes »