Author Topic: Repositioning after changing park position  (Read 1526 times)

Hanse

• Beta tester
Repositioning after changing park position
« on: August 22, 2022, 03:16:29 pm »
I changed the park position and the respective file is saved in the folder C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali\GSX\MSFS. But when I load the plane at that add-on airport (using the drop-down-menu to select the position in the MSFS Main Menu) the previous standard setup is loaded. Only after using GSX - Reposition aircraft - the new changes are loaded. Is this correct or did I do something wrong?

Regards,
Rolf

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Repositioning after changing park position
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 11:45:35 am »
It's absolutely correct and to be expected. MSFS positioning system doesn't know anything about GSX and the GSX custom airport profile you created by editing something in the airport, so it will continue to use its own positioning method.

Editing the Parking position and the Stop position in GSX, will only affect GSX operations like Warp Me, or the Marshaller/VGDS calculated Stops.

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 03:04:27 pm »
Umberto,

thanks for the explanation and I completely understand your point of view based on the MSFS behaviour. But also please consider your users who are confused that after editing something (like the parking position in GSX) that after loading again the plane still shows up on the "wrong" position like before as if something went wrong. This is what happened to me.

Wouldn't it be possible that at least after opening the GSX menu the aircraft automatically is repositioned e.g. the xxx.ini file is read and excecuted? Thanks.

Rolf

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 03:19:32 pm »
Wouldn't it be possible that at least after opening the GSX menu the aircraft automatically is repositioned e.g. the xxx.ini file is read and excecuted?

We could even do this automatically without opening the menu, basically auto-warping to your custom position automatically. However, this will be risky because, what if you made any kind of mistake editing, so your custom position is now placing you in the wrong place, like inside a terminal or a place you could crash into ?

With the way it works now, you can easily realize that, because you'll notice the positioning is reasonable (it's default) using the MSFS menu, but had issues with Warp Me but, at least, you would have a *chance* to fix it, because you got there with the MSFS menu and could fix the position in some way, for example by resetting the parking in the 2D editor. But if we auto-warped you, and there's a problem, you might end up slammed into something, possibly crashing the plane, with no easy way to exit from that situation. So, the MSFS default position can still be useful to have.

Note that, there is already an "auto-repositioning" function: if the MSFS position and your custom one are too different ( I believe the difference must greater than 20 meters ), when you start a service, GSX WILL prompt you to auto-reposition there, because it suspects there might be issues starting services when you are parked in a position that is too different than the ones you set up in the GSX profile.

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 02:42:56 pm »
Umberto, you mentioned that there is already an "auto-repositioning" function (using the MSFS position) if the MSFS position and the custom one are too different. Why not adding a similar function (using the custom one) if the MSFS position and the custom one differ only less than 10m or even a smaller value?

I nearly had to change all gate postion at Aerosofts EDDH because otherwise the custom jetways otherwise would not connect properly to the plane as it seems that its range and function is not aligned with MSFS positions.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 02:45:19 pm »
We set the threshold to be 20 m, because I'm sure many users would have complained by a constant "reposition" message. While in Beta we used 15m, but I don't think we should go lower than 10m in any case. It's a 10-seconds fix for me, to you thing 10m is reasonable ?

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 05:28:39 pm »
For me the 10m are OK because in my case I believe that the difference between the MSFS and my custom positions is even lower.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 01:23:25 pm by Hanse »

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 01:34:19 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Did you already implement the "automatic repositioning" as discussed in the latest update? Unfortunately it does not yet work and I still always have to reposition the aircraft before "starting"..... Thanks.

Regards,
Rolf

TomAce

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 10:01:08 pm »
Hi, I bought GXS today, and find it quite strange that after I setup and change the position at the gate, GXS is not suppose to use this when I load in next time at the same gate. I read your explanation of this above, but I still don't understand why you think it is risky and why you believe we can make mistake editing. I edit for a reason, and if I make a mistake I could easily edit one more time rather than to trust in MSFS default position.
After finding that the plane use the default position each time I load in, I feel GSX is not worth the money I spent.

The position we set should be aircraft specific, so when I edit my Fenix A320 for an exact position at a specific gate, it could differ for my PMDG 737 which often have a different position at the gate.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 10:04:57 pm by TomAce »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 08:30:26 pm »
Not automatically moving your airplane just because you made a custom profile for it, it's an intentional design decision, because the basic design principle in GSX is that, unless you call its menu, it won't interfere in anything the sim normally does.