Author Topic: [Solved] Parking System (VDGS) position not saved correctly  (Read 1282 times)

BobbyFuzzy

[Solved] Parking System (VDGS) position not saved correctly
« on: August 20, 2022, 06:43:30 pm »
I am finding when I am trying to place a VDGS in the editor, upon saving exiting the editor, the position of the system moves up into the air. Even selecting resetting to default position will cause this same behaviour.

https://i.imgur.com/N7ukZnQ.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:54:41 pm by BobbyFuzzy »

BobbyFuzzy

Re: [Repro case] Parking System (VDGS) position not saved correctly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 10:22:03 pm »
After doing further testing I have found a repro case for this issue - it appears that the parking system will either disappear completely or it's 3D model position move into the air when you adjust the position on it's y axis.

See the following where I tested various different cases:

https://youtu.be/DVkptEGk1OA?t=16155

We also noticed it wasn't pulling information in from SimBrief despite all the conditions being met which is also tested in this segment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:55:16 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 03:23:03 am »
I tried to scroll through your video rapidly, because it was very long.

I think the problem with setting the height for the VGDS were caused by being close to the terminal, which in that scenery seems to have an intermediate floor, so the object is sensing it. We'll see if we could improve this, because to support sloped scenery, all object must be aware of the terrain, and this result in them being affected by it.

I guess we might try to improve on this, and switch to a different positioning ( from AGL to MSL ), the moment you start raising them.

About the missing Simbrief, I think the problem wasn't Simbrief ( and I confirm you GSX works on UTC ), but the fact the VGDS was blank. Normally, with the types with a screen, you are supposed to see an alternating message "On Chock / GATE XXX", even if there's nothing on Simbrief. The Docking system is supposed to be turned on either when you open the GSX menu with parking brakes on and engines off, or when you activate the editor.

If you want to check what Simbrief is doing, it's all logged in the Couatl.LOG file if you have logging enabled.

I noticed you struggled a bit with the Custom Pushback routes at Belfast.

I suggest reading Pages 40-42, which explain how the waypoints work. It might seem a bit counterintuitive at first, because most people think they are "just" waypoint, when in fact the proper word would have been "control point", not unlikely the ones used in Adobe Illustrator, where the final result is a smooth curve that passes through them.

Usually, the best workflow to create a custom pushback route is:

- Start by deciding the airplane final position and heading.

- Press NumPad 5, to obtain two waypoints that will be placed automatically in a way to ensure the tow truck will end up aligned with the airplane.

- Now you can add waypoints, playing with their position and heading, and see how the curve reacts, now it has been "pinned" down by the first two waypoint.

BobbyFuzzy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:33:28 pm »
I tried to scroll through your video rapidly, because it was very long.

Apologies - the link I shared should have been timestamped to roundabout the correct spot for the main topic!

I think the problem with setting the height for the VGDS were caused by being close to the terminal, which in that scenery seems to have an intermediate floor, so the object is sensing it. We'll see if we could improve this, because to support sloped scenery, all object must be aware of the terrain, and this result in them being affected by it.

I guess we might try to improve on this, and switch to a different positioning ( from AGL to MSL ), the moment you start raising them.

Gotcha - I did wonder if it was a collision issue! Thanks for clearing that up.

About the missing Simbrief, I think the problem wasn't Simbrief ( and I confirm you GSX works on UTC ), but the fact the VGDS was blank. Normally, with the types with a screen, you are supposed to see an alternating message "On Chock / GATE XXX", even if there's nothing on Simbrief. The Docking system is supposed to be turned on either when you open the GSX menu with parking brakes on and engines off, or when you activate the editor.

If you want to check what Simbrief is doing, it's all logged in the Couatl.LOG file if you have logging enabled.

Awesome, good to know regarding UTC! My brain must have not been working properly to get that all confused. I checked the logs and yes it does seem all seems working well regarding SimBrief. I just did some further testing - noting your comments on what should trigger the text to display - and I really can't seem to get the display to come on at that stand airport (Macco Simulations EGCC - purchased direct)...

I noticed this in the log, I wonder if related? It does seem like the VDGS display does do something momentariliy, a slight flash/change in brightness.

Code: [Select]
Exception staticGateObject destroyed or None
I noticed you struggled a bit with the Custom Pushback routes at Belfast.

I suggest reading Pages 40-42, which explain how the waypoints work. It might seem a bit counterintuitive at first, because most people think they are "just" waypoint, when in fact the proper word would have been "control point", not unlikely the ones used in Adobe Illustrator, where the final result is a smooth curve that passes through them.

Thanks for the tips! I had read the manual but again, brain can sometimes do some funny things when doing something new to me when on the air!  ;D

BobbyFuzzy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 03:54:22 pm »
I just did some further testing - noting your comments on what should trigger the text to display - and I really can't seem to get the display to come on at that stand airport (Macco Simulations EGCC - purchased direct)...

I noticed this in the log, I wonder if related? It does seem like the VDGS display does do something momentariliy, a slight flash/change in brightness.

Code: [Select]
Exception staticGateObject destroyed or None

Umberto, I appear to have 'fixed' my issue. So it basically seems that at some point in the past I have clicked the little aircraft symbol by the airport elevation for the airport in question. I started fresh with a new .ini (which has the original elevation from the airport .BGL), all my prior issues regarding placement of the VDGS and the text displaying seems to be fixed. Thank you for your assistance!