Author Topic: MSFS - Loading times  (Read 1638 times)

Hanse

• Beta tester
MSFS - Loading times
« on: August 22, 2022, 03:10:29 pm »
I recognized that after installing GSX the MSFS loading time increased because it seems that everytime I am starting the system all scenery directories are searched by GSX again for valid files. Cannot be this omitted?

Regards,
Rolf

BobbyFuzzy

Re: MSFS - Loading times
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:59 pm »
The scenery scan is not happening within MSFS - it is Couatl running the scan as you will see if you check "%AppData%\Roaming\virtuali\Couatl.log" - as this runs external to the sim it should therefore should not adversely affect your loading times.

If I had to make a guess the longer load times are due to MS/Asobo backend. I've just been messing with the sim and noticed especially long loading times vs just a few hours ago (no changes at all to the sim).

There is a lot of discussions currently around the online service part of MSFS causing issues with CTD's and this I suspect this could also be affecting load times in certain scenarios. Considering my case above.

Thanks,
Rob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: MSFS - Loading times
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 11:42:05 am »
I recognized that after installing GSX the MSFS loading time increased because it seems that everytime I am starting the system all scenery directories are searched by GSX again for valid files. Cannot be this omitted?

This should happen only the first time you start GSX, not always.

It's normal to be happening if you change something in the scenery library, like adding/re-linking or removing/un-linking a scenery, because GSX must always have the currently active sceneries database updated, otherwise it will read the wrong airports.

If you are using a tool to constantly change the active sceneries list, you are forcing GSX to do a rescan every time. HOWEVER, this scan is NOT done internally to MSFS, so it won't affect MSFS loading time in any way, it done in a separate background thread so, the only downside of a rescan is that you'll have to wait longer before GSX can be used after starting a flight.