Author Topic: FSDT Live Update unable update couatl  (Read 1005 times)

scott967

FSDT Live Update unable update couatl
« on: August 21, 2022, 06:31:48 am »
I purchased GSX Pro for MSFS.  After installing in the "universal installer" GSX Pro showed "installed" and "active".  In addition there was an "update" button active, so I clicked that.  After downloading some files I got (I think) .net unhandled exception popup:

Access to the path
 'C:\Users\scottZ397\AppData\Local|Temp\couatl.zip' is denied

Obviously "scottZ397" is the logged on user and there are no permission errors on that folder or file (SYSTEM, Administrators, and scottZ397 have full control on it) so no idea why that popup is occurring.  Looking at couatl.zip it seems to just be a couatl.log file in there??

Also, shouldn't there be some sort of version number on the "universal installer"?  And when you launch it, it seems to report itself as "FSDT Live Update" though task manager shows Couatl_Updater2.  All very confusing to try to troubleshoot.

So I uninstalled the installer in Windows, deleted couatl stuff in my appdata\local and MSFS community (steam) folder, and removed the "addon manager" folder (I had a custom path C:\FSDT\Addon Manager) downloaded the universal installer again and reinstalled it, this time allowing the default path.

This time I tried the "update all" button, and this completed, but it still seems like there is an update available for GSX Pro??  I tied it again and it seemed like the update just repeated and I still have what looks like an "update available" button:

All very confusing IMHO.

update:
Thinking about the couatl.zip error:  I know I downloaded someone's couatl.zip to see what might be in it, and 7-zip does use the appdata\local\temp folder when you open a zip, so I'm guessing that couatl.zip got left behind there (I know 7-zip does that) and looking at temp now it looks like you also are putting a couatl.zip in there, so there probably was a name collision but your installer should have been able to sort that out.

scott s.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 06:39:45 am by scott967 »

pilot3033

Re: FSDT Live Update unable update couatl
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 06:49:09 am »
The update button is always available, not just when updates are available.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Live Update unable update couatl
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 06:54:36 am »
Thinking about the couatl.zip error:  I know I downloaded someone's couatl.zip to see what might be in it, and 7-zip does use the appdata\local\temp folder when you open a zip, so I'm guessing that couatl.zip got left behind there (I know 7-zip does that) and looking at temp now it looks like you also are putting a couatl.zip in there, so there probably was a name collision but your installer should have been able to sort that out

Yes, and no.

Under NORMAL conditions, an existing couatl.zip would have been overwritten by the new download, regardless what contained before. The real problem is the permission denied, indicating the file was open by another process ( user permissions are not the only reasons why you might be denied of access ) which was running, I guess it was 7-zip itself. In this case they only thing we could have done, would be to give a better explanation, instead of the default "access denied" from Windows, which might be misleading, because you might think users account permissions might be involved, when it also be something as simple as a file opened in another process.

However, the end result would have been the same, because it's not as if we could gain access "by force", the updater would stop anyway, just with a more informative message, because the only way to fix it would have been closing 7-zip.

What we CAN probably do to prevent this, is to create a random fuzzy name for the file in the TEMP folder, instead of its original couatl.zip name, this should prevent those problems.