Author Topic: Remove narration?  (Read 2916 times)

Keirtt

Remove narration?
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:45:48 am »
Simple question - How do I get rid of the "Crew Boarding", "Boarding Requested" narration voice? I've adjusted all the settings and read the manual, but don't see that anywhere. Am I missing a setting?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Remove narration?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 04:49:34 am »
We are considering making it an option but, the audio cues have an important role, as explained at Page 67 of the manual, when the Toolbar icon is not active,  it won't execute any Javascript code, which is what generates the text messages, so you might miss message, and without the audio, which is independent from, the tooltips, you might not know what to do next, or what the program is doing.

Keirtt

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 04:51:02 am »
We are considering making it an option but, the audio cues have an important role, as explained at Page 67 of the manual, when the Toolbar icon is not active,  it won't execute any Javascript code, which is what generates the text messages, so you might miss message, and without the audio, which is independent from, the tooltips, you might not know what to do next, or what the program is doing.

Ok - than maybe instead consider allowing us to atleast adjust the volume of the voice. Personally, I find the voice distracting and takes away from the immersion. Maybe others will chime in.

DeshMindER

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 05:51:56 am »

Ok - than maybe instead consider allowing us to atleast adjust the volume of the voice. Personally, I find the voice distracting and takes away from the immersion. Maybe others will chime in.

I have the same feeling when I request refueling. The first time it was fine, but the other times I wished I could turn it off.

disco79stu

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:19:07 am »
+1
This needs to go. Explaining it one time is enough, breaks the immersion and is just unnecessary
Please add an option to mute the lady. :) Thanks!

Alpha2

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 01:03:26 pm »
Absolutely needs to go - very distracting and annoying, especially as the voice is very robotic and inauthentic. Currently I'd just switch it off and keep an eye out for the progress of ground events myself.

It needs to be more immersive, for example the narration becomes the voice of the dispatcher that is acted out and replayed with immersive background sounds, i.e. 'Captain, boarding is underway, I'll keep you updated'/'Hi guys, the fuel is coming'/'Just to let you know, the boarding is complete, have a good flight, see you next time' etc. FS2Crew had some decent audio of this back in the day. A variety of voices and accents would keep it fresh. Is the narration voice generated somewhere or are they customisable audio files like the pushback chatter and the boarding 'hellos' etc?

mseiwald

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 02:08:49 pm »
+1

Wimma

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:37:49 pm »
Yep, totally agree. It is just annoying and takes away the immersion...

Fiorentoni

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 10:41:49 pm »
+1

I quite like the "beep" sound from GSX, it's subtle but gets your attention when e.g. you have to close the doors manually. After a couple of hours people know the procedures very well, so I'm +1 for a toggle OFF of the narrator.

Justinthomas7

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 03:42:26 am »
+1

I'd rather the GSX menu be pinned permanently than hear the voice.

Is it possible to do a windows notification through the couatl app instead if it's required to inform the user of something?  Otherwise the beep is a good signal - then you press the GSX icon and read what it wants to tell you.

swaor

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 04:52:13 am »
I mean it's a very sloppy solution and for sure not what the developers intended so don't hang me on the hook for that but you could go to your Addon Manager folder ...\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\gsx and remove/move away any of the wav files you don't want GSX to play. At least that's what works for me.

Richboy2307

• Twitch.tv/richboy2307
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 05:53:39 am »
It needs to be more immersive, for example the narration becomes the voice of the dispatcher that is acted out and replayed with immersive background sounds, i.e. 'Captain, boarding is underway, I'll keep you updated'/'Hi guys, the fuel is coming'/'Just to let you know, the boarding is complete, have a good flight, see you next time' etc. FS2Crew had some decent audio of this back in the day. A variety of voices and accents would keep it fresh. Is the narration voice generated somewhere or are they customisable audio files like the pushback chatter and the boarding 'hellos' etc?

Hard agree on this. Especially coming from P3D, I already have some idea of how it works, I dont need additional narration. Let it be optional (easy solution), or better integrated than some arcade-y voice narration.
Vrishabh Sehgal (Richboy2307)
Twitch.tv/Richboy2307

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 06:03:22 am »
While we confirmed multiple times we WILL make this optional, I want to explain WHY there are lots of audio cues now.

The GSX menu in MSFS is a Javascript Toolbar addon and, the way Javascript works, for performance reasons (it wasn't like this before, this change happened in SU5) the moment the menu is closed, its Javascript code gets immediately killed. This causes a series of issues because:

MSFS Simconnect doesn't have the quick Text messages function anymore, what used to be the top green bar, so we replaced it with a Javascript function, which calls into the Tooltip system so, it's the new "proper" way to display short text on screen.

Putting these two together, and the result is that, when you close the GSX menu, you will MISS all text GSX will try to display, leaving you only with the "beep", and sometimes it might not be entirely obvious why GSX is beeping for, so we added all these voice cues so you'll know what GSX wants, even when the menu is closed. Yes, of course this function is more useful for NEW users, or maybe even old users that haven't used GSX in a while, but I understand why you might want to disabled it.

TheAirman

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 04:52:26 am »
Thank you virtuali. I look forward for the next update :)

bjratchf

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 07:17:54 pm »
Glad this is being made optional!

Also- maybe instead of the narration, a separate window that could be present and when open, show the status of various GSX activities.