Author Topic: GSX only reads default APX AFCAD after P3D Scenery update  (Read 1509 times)

kavs8

GSX only reads default APX AFCAD after P3D Scenery update
« on: April 29, 2022, 06:13:54 am »
Hello,

After updating my P3D V5 scenery installation GSX no longer reads Addon scenery AFCADs. These AFCADs do load as for example gate selection is available in P3D Menu for the updated AFCAD however GSX is reading default APX AFCADs despite the scenery being higher priority.

Is there a way to fix this? I tried rebuilding GSX via the menu but alas the problem persists.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX only reads default APX AFCAD after P3D Scenery update
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 10:40:54 am »
Have you tried a "Restart and Rebuild the airport cache" from the Couatl settings menu ?

kavs8

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 01:56:28 pm »
Have you tried a "Restart and Rebuild the airport cache" from the Couatl settings menu ?

Yes I tried this however the problem persists. P3D loads the correct AFCAD but GSX is reading the default APX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:16:21 pm »
Yes I tried this however the problem persists. P3D loads the correct AFCAD but GSX is reading the default APX.

- Enable logging in the Troubleshooting setting page.

- Restart and rebuild the airport cache

- Exit the sim

- Check the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.LOG file for errors happened during the cache rebuild.

- If you don't understand the log, ZIP it and ATTACH it to a post, so I can have a look at it.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:05:31 pm »
Hi Umberto,

PMFJI but I have the same problem with an AFCAD designed for P3Dv5. Rather than post the whole log here's the bit for ZHHH - Wuhan, China. The BGL is 8477Kb. I'm linking to the file so you can check things. The log says...

File D:\P3Dv5\Addon Scenery\ZHHH\scenery\ZHHH_ADEP5_wenmel_update.bgl skipped, likely too big to be an airport
Folder D:\P3Dv5\Addon Scenery\ZHHH\scenery processed in 0 seconds

https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=220688
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:57:11 pm by Ray Proudfoot »
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 01:59:19 pm »
File D:\P3Dv5\Addon Scenery\ZHHH\scenery\ZHHH_ADEP5_wenmel_update.bgl skipped, likely too big to be an airport

The log file clearly indicated the issue, which has been discussed so many times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,18925.0.html

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 02:24:34 pm »
Thanks Umberto. P3D v5 appears to be the first version that has such large AFCAD files. First time I’ve encountered this. Nice easy solution. ;D
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
Thanks Umberto. P3D v5 appears to be the first version that has such large AFCAD files.

Well no, it's not a P3D-specific issue, it's just a developer's habit.

Some developers put just the basic airport data in the AFCAD, which is smart, since you can easily update a small file if something minor changes, like an airline parking code, a taxiway name, etc.

Other developers place custom 3d objects as well, which is surely possible, but not required and forces the developer to update a larger file even to change something related to the airport layout. GSX has a default max size value, based on the size of the average AFCAD files found in the sim, so it would scan the library faster, and it could always be overridden, since the issue of big AFCAD has been there since FSX, usually for freeware ( commercial developers that must pay for their bandwidth are usually more careful with the file size vs projected update frequency )

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 04:39:17 pm »
Hi Umberto.

Yes, the two files I've had problems with are freeware AFCADs, not commercial packages. You have to applaud them for taking the time to create these. I certainly couldn't make them. I'm just grateful you have a way of dealing with them instead of a change to GSX,  :)
Cheers,
Ray.