Author Topic: Add on manager not there after install or Couatl **SOLVED**  (Read 1922 times)

Decotime

Add on manager not there after install or Couatl **SOLVED**
« on: April 18, 2022, 12:36:40 pm »
Hi

Need a little help , been trolling the forums for an answer to my question but cant seem to solve my issue with the add on manager not showing up in the P3d v5.3 tool bar as in the attached picture. Im still look too.

I was having install issues, and found the below post and followed the instructions, which seemed to help me install GSX 1&2 using the universal installer, but could not get it working in the sim. See post below

Re: GSX Couatl scripting engine hasn't started **SOLVED**
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 02:02:27 pm »
Well, I was struggling as well as new customer, wanting to use P3Dv5.3 with the latest hotfix and GSX + GSX level 2. Whatever I did, that couatl scripting engine would never appear in P3D.
And it is NOT antivirus that doesn't play nice.

I used the download links in the mail to install GSX + level 2 and the live update tool. The live update tool wasn't working, it dies after it says it will update itself. I have tried installing and uninstalling 4 times with reboots and all and nothing was working. I got to the point where I was fed up spending a complete evening installing an addon.

Then I found this forum thread, which stated the "Universal Installer" is the solution, marking this thread as "solved", without showing us how it exactly is the solution.

What worked for me:
1. Determine where you want to install the "addon manager" and exclude this folder from virus scanning.
2. Make sure you don't have any GSX stuff installed, uninstall + reboot if you have a failed attempt right now.
3. Install the apparently new "Universal Installer" on your computer: http://www.virtualisoftware.com/update/FSDT_Universal_Installer.exe and don't launch it yet - it can't install GSX or GSX level 2 (this needs to be done manually).
4. Install GSX + GSX level 2 (if bought) with this installer, which can be obtained via de site or download links in the mail: gsx_p3d4_setup2.exe
5. Use the "FSDT Installer" shortcut on your desktop (which starts the Universal Installer) to activate GSX + GSX level 2 (if bought) (red circle in screenshot, it's already activated there but you get the point) - you need the codes in the mail.
6. You can update GSX now by selecting it and click the "Update" button (blue circle in screenshot) - or you can select multiple and click the "Update x selected" button at the bottom.

So just to clarify what ive tried so far :

1 Installing with universal installer - seemed to work fine

2 Setting a exclusion for the addon manager file in the program files(x86) I used the following method - Start menu,settings,Update & security,Windows security, Virus & threat protection,Manage settings - add exclusion which I chose file and selected the add on manager file

3 Used universal installer to activate the product , both GSX 1& 2 show active in green

4 I did get after activating a message stating i was using a legacy key, Could that be a issue ?

5 Turned off antivirus windows defender when installing GSX

6 Run the sim as admin as well as installs as admin

So still No addon manager showing in the p3d tool bar or couatl addon either.

Could really use some help here

Thanks

Jeff Fuller
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 06:33:15 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Add on manager not there after install or Couatl
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 02:14:46 pm »
Need a little help , been trolling the forums for an answer to my question but cant seem to solve my issue with the add on manager not showing up in the P3d v5.3 tool bar as in the attached picture. Im still look too.

I was having install issues, and found the below post and followed the instructions, which seemed to help me install GSX 1&2 using the universal installer, but could not get it working in the sim. See post below

Re: GSX Couatl scripting engine hasn't started **SOLVED**

And that's precisely why that thread is NOT helping you, since your problem is completely different from the one listed there. You can see it right in its TITLE:

"GSX Couatl scripting engine hasn't started "

Which is the text of the message you would see IN THE SIM, which is coming from the Addon Manager, which checks if the Couatl program started, so everything discussed there is related to the presence of JUST the Addon manager menu in the sim, but lacking the Couatl and GSX menus because, as the Title of the thread says, it was just the Couatl program that didn't start.

That's why you couldn't find a solution there: your issue is totally different,  you don't have ANY software running in the sim, so you didn't get that message the thread title relates to, and the Universal Installer won't help you either, because is not installing anything in P3D ( yet ), it can only update an existing installation, which cannot run for some reasons, like missing files or updates.

The first thing to check is:

- Have you maybe DISABLED, either manually or by using a 3rd party utility, the ENTIRE FSDT Addon Manager from the OPTIONS->Add-ons menu ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:16:54 pm by virtuali »

Decotime

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 04:26:27 pm »
Hi virtuali

Thanks for the fast reply mate , I did some digging and nothing was disabled. I discovered the installer must not have installed correctly as no documentation was anywhere to be found , ive run it at least 5 times today, and correctly uninstalled each time, but finally about an hour ago it worked and now I can see the add on manager & couatl in the P3d add on tab.

Just having a SODE error now - SODE is unavailable and unable to animate jetways. Sode isn't in the add on drop down list in P3dv5.3.

Just looking in the manual now, and googling it as well, any ideas on how I fix that ? I thought SODE was in the gsx installer ??

Thankyou

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 04:37:59 pm by Decotime »

Decotime

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 05:10:16 pm »
All fixed , Re installed Sode

Thankyou for your help

really appreciate it mate

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 06:36:24 pm »
ive run it at least 5 times today, and correctly uninstalled each time, but finally about an hour ago it worked

All fixed , Re installed Sode

The installer works always in the same way so, there wasn't any reason to run it 5 times, the result would have been exactly the same but, maybe you did something in between that made a difference during one of these installs, for example restarting Windows, which might be required because the installer might have updated some system libraries ( like the VC++ runtimes ) and one of them required a restart to complete the installation, and fact you didn't had SODE working initially seems to confirm this, since even the SODE installer needs to have all libraries correctly in place.