FS9 support > Los Angeles support FS9

Failure to register and sequent buffer overrun error **SOLVED**

<< < (6/7) > >>

TheRedBadger:
The old add on manager (1.8?) is still under programs and features in windows 10. It may have been partially removed when I uninstalled LAX that one time but not correctly (saying “yes” to “remove the add on manager?”) . I do remember trying to remove it but IIRC I got some error along the lines of “the uninstaller ain’t here” or “already uninstalled”. I can’t remember, again I’ll reverify. Think that may be an issue?

virtuali:
As I've said:

- Go in the Windows Control Panel, and UNINSTALL the Addon Manager for FS9 AND (important) reply YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?"

If you have multiple entries, uninstall them all.

TheRedBadger:

--- Quote from: virtuali on April 16, 2022, 11:37:57 pm ---As I've said:

- Go in the Windows Control Panel, and UNINSTALL the Addon Manager for FS9 AND (important) reply YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?"

If you have multiple entries, uninstall them all.

--- End quote ---

When trying to uninstall the older version of the virtuali addon manager, it indicates it "cannot find unins001.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again". I did say "yes" to the addon manager question when uninstalling the newer, 1.9 version. I don't know if the older addon manager is actually still there.

A couple of scenarios: the older version is still lingering somewhere in my computer causing the crash and I have to find another way to remove it. Scenario 2 is that it is only listed in programs and features, but is actually not installed onto my computer anymore. Thoughts?

Actually did a search of "1.81" and found this (I know, only LAX is still installed but I can remove it if I need to next):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/852052198812549170/965094452534317187/unknown.png

I assume I should delete this? Won't do anything until your mark.

virtuali:

--- Quote from: TheRedBadger on April 17, 2022, 05:37:29 am ---When trying to uninstall the older version of the virtuali addon manager, it indicates it "cannot find unins001.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again". I did say "yes" to the addon manager question when uninstalling the newer, 1.9 version. I don't know if the older addon manager is actually still there.
--- End quote ---

That's because you removed something manually, so you left the orphaned registry entry for the old uninstaller. You can remove the entry, so it won't appear on the Control Panel, but that's it.

My previous suggestions of installing the CURRENT Addon Manager once, uninstalling it by replying YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?", then reinstalling it again, still stands to be sure nothing of the old version is left, the orphaned uninstaller won't cause any issues to the new files, once you do what I said to do. The most important part is:

- Only using the LATEST Addon Manager for FS9.

- Only installing AFTER all the sceneries.

- Do the double Uninstall/reinstall replying YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?" THIS is what will trigger a clean up of all old files.

If that still doesn't work, then I'm afraid your problem is deeper into your Windows install, so we reached the end of the kind of support we could offer for a 19 years old simulator ( yes, FS9 came out in the Summer of 2003... )

TheRedBadger:

--- Quote from: virtuali on April 18, 2022, 12:14:54 am ---
--- Quote from: TheRedBadger on April 17, 2022, 05:37:29 am ---When trying to uninstall the older version of the virtuali addon manager, it indicates it "cannot find unins001.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again". I did say "yes" to the addon manager question when uninstalling the newer, 1.9 version. I don't know if the older addon manager is actually still there.
--- End quote ---

That's because you removed something manually, so you left the orphaned registry entry for the old uninstaller. You can remove the entry, so it won't appear on the Control Panel, but that's it.

My previous suggestions of installing the CURRENT Addon Manager once, uninstalling it by replying YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?", then reinstalling it again, still stands to be sure nothing of the old version is left, the orphaned uninstaller won't cause any issues to the new files, once you do what I said to do. The most important part is:

- Only using the LATEST Addon Manager for FS9.

- Only installing AFTER all the sceneries.

- Do the double Uninstall/reinstall replying YES to the question "Do you want to the remove the Addon Manager?" THIS is what will trigger a clean up of all old files.

If that still doesn't work, then I'm afraid your problem is deeper into your Windows install, so we reached the end of the kind of support we could offer for a 19 years old simulator ( yes, FS9 came out in the Summer of 2003... )

--- End quote ---

OK! So I did a factory reset of the computer (gosh that caused problems for 2 days..), installed the simulator before anything else, then 9.1, then the nocd patch, and then..

DFW, /then/ the addon manager, and finally the sim loaded without problems. I registered the simulator using the activation key I was provided and it quickly, without issue, successfully activated (even reading "activated" in the addon manager menu for DFW).

Question is (I may find out in a bit), do I need to re-register each scenery if I uninstall and then reinstall the addon manager?

Also, in the past when uninstalling the addon manager, it asks me after the fact "do I wish to remove the addon manager" even though I have already uninstalled it (didn't I?). Do I press "YES" everytime? Or does it not matter since I'll be reinstalling the addon manager anyways after I add a new scenery?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version