Author Topic: OT: wilycoyote4 , Voodoo, DSWO, SpazSinbad, Sludge, microbrewst, & Orion  (Read 6190 times)

JamesChams

Gents (wilycoyote4 , Voodoo, DSWO, SpazSinbad, Sludge, microbrewst, & Orion),

Mr. Javier "Thrawn" has given me permission to put together a NAVAL Installation package which includes an installer for his Nimitz v2.0.  And, I'd like to include many tweaks, fixes, AI tracks, and Naval Missions packages along with my Aircraft Carrier configurations Tweaks into this one package (and, perhaps, even AICarriers).  

You might ask "Why" do we need this, now?  I feel, simply, that it would be much easier to install and use an integrated package;  leaving out the need find items on different sites on the internet, then to edit and insert statements into CFG files, add Effect fixes and figure out HOW-TO and WHERE-TO install what files, etc.  It cuts down on the time taken to read each packages TXT's, then customize and, finally, copy & paste all entries.

If everyone agrees, this package would do the following:- (Subject to change)
    1. One Installation easy to install "Setup.exe" HIGHLY-compressed file (including everything) in one auto installer.
       (ie. NO .Zip files and manual moving for files and folders).
    2. Install to the correct locations (and give user the ability to define installation Paths).
    3. Have a README (HTML and/or .PDF) with pictures, FAQ's, and How-to's instructions, etc. for all components in one file.
    4. Include auto selection for differing feature installations and both versions of FSX (Acceleration or SP2).
    5. Hidden Batch file driven processes (Customizable for UPGRADE component installations).
    6. MUST BE FREEWARE and have appropriate credits.
    7. Each sub-component (Package/Tweak) is independant upgradeable and easily integrateble.

I believe that I have a way to do this easily and, with your permission(s) & some aid in various doc.'s, suggestions, etc., would like to present a complete TEST Product within the next month(s).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:14:36 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
James, a great idea. If you require any text or graphics uploaded here by me (or any other explanations of same) then please use that information. No need to credit me because likely it has come from elsewhere anyway. Other than that I have no technical knowledge of the underpinnings of FSX. I'll leave that to the WHIZZ KIDS!  ;D

BTW I have ACROBAT to make any PDFs out of any files as required. You are welcome all to send me that stuff to combine in one PDF or several. Just let me know. I do work with Acrobat every day - takes up all my time - however the end of work on the 4.4GB PDF about A4G Skyhawks is within reach now that a vital online resource is being updated. That should allow more time to mess with FSX etc. But happy to work on any PDFs for this project any time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:34:04 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Orion

Sounds like a good idea, I guess.

Since the developers would know their own addon best, should each developer write a short bit on their own addon or are you going to write the stuff yourself?  If the developer gets to write, what should it contain and about how long should it be?  Also, just curious, what addons would you like to include?

From a technical standpoint, how are you going to create the installer?  Are you going to write your own?  Are you going to use NSIS or some other premade installer system?  What about addons that already include installers (such as my mission)?

Regarding point 4 of the package features, why would you need that?  It is possible to have a conditional install if you program the installer properly, but Javier's Nimitz and all other naval addons for FSX that I can think of at the moment (late here, so I may not be thinking clearly) require Acceleration.  Also, what do you mean by 5 and 7?  If your installer works properly, it shouldn't do anything less or anything more than a normal manual install, so logically, each addon your package installs should work independently and as designed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:55:25 am by Orion »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
and this thread is only for the people named? i feel jealous!  :D

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
James...

Sounds like a good idea, especially for newer FSX users, and others who dont feel confident enough to mod the Hornet F-18 by themselves but would like the full "naval aviation" package updates that we all enjoy.

As far as my participation, I can give you whatever you want including my files to use as a baseline, but as others have said... you probly need to ask each developer for permission before any of us.  In that list I just posted for all my upgrades/mods, those were all downloads and installs from others' creations.  Now, if its something I put out there, say if you want to integrate the numbers I use for the .air file, the aircraft.cfg, the panel.cfg, feel completely free to do that, without credits.  Any work I do and put out for everyone is sheerly for the love of sim flying the Hornet.  And if you have any questions or need any direct files I have, PM me, or if need be, use regular Email and I can get you any files that I have....

Hope that helps and feel free to ask for anything you need from me and I will do my best to get it.

Later
Sludge

JamesChams

Thank you everyone for your responses...
I'm going to wait for everyone to have a chance to respond and answer everyone's questions this weekend.  And, I'm grateful for your support.

PS: Mr. "fael097" you are welcome to join in, we will need all the tweaks and TESTORS for the installer.  However, my initial post was for people that have done their own tweaks or packages, and I guess I missed a few names. :-\

Thanks again everyone.
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Good idea, James. :)

Many regular flyers may not feel comfortable with doing tweaks/fixes/modules individually themselves and would welcome the ease of an installer package such as you propose.

Had you considered whether the install process would be ultra simple so the user just clicks the "go" stud and it installs the whole enchilada, or whether you would let the user tick which modules to install and which to leave out according to choice?

In any event, it gets a thumbs up from me, James!
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
James:

didnt know that, but actually ive done a lot of tweaks for my hornet back when i had a lot of free time to play, i fixed the back landing gear weight, i`ve put a 737 autopilot panel into my hornet and later i did a custom looking panel, fixed the hud so you can see through it better, changed the smoke color depending on the paint you choose, but i didnt published since eventually people came up with other packs of fixes.. ah and of course i did a lot of repaints as some people here can remember!

i never tried creating a plane for fsx tho, but i believe its not that hard with the sdk, i know modeling and texturing, so it shouldnt be hard :)

but i sold my comp about a week ago, and i just sold this laptop (my wife`s) so i`ll be out of range for some time lol

anyway, if you need any skills that i have, ill be glad to help, if i get a computer at time

cheers bud