Author Topic: GSX new update with SODE v1.7.1  (Read 2469 times)

callum_ex

GSX new update with SODE v1.7.1
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:59:39 pm »
Hello,

I am unsure if this has been posted before.

I tried to run the new GSX update last night but the installer only gets so far then it prompts a message stating there is an issue with my simobjects.cfg file. The cfg is located in the ProgramData folder which to my understanding should be correct, however I now no longer have GSX appearing on my addon menu. The solutions I have tried to uninstall GSX completely from my PC and download the latest installer, restart my pc then try the update again but no luck.

The live update gets to the part where it is updating the Hawaiian Airports then crashes.

Im running P3Dv4.5.

The message that comes up:
"Registration Error

-XML entries -
exe.xml: SUCCESS
dll.xml: SUCCESS

-Simobject Path entries-
simobjects.cfg(Main): CFG file not found!
simobjects.cfg(common) CFG file not found!"

Hope someone can help :)

callum_ex

Re: GSX new update with SODE v1.7.1
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 06:43:45 pm »
seems like support selectively replies to posts, rather than do them in order. yawn.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 07:02:08 pm »
seems like support selectively replies to posts, rather than do them in order. yawn.

I don't know what you are trying to say but, have you ever heard words like "time zones" or "it's Sunday and we ARE still replying" ? You posted on Sunday early afternoon, and are already complaining you haven't still haven't got an answer only 4 hours later, when under ANY REASONABLE standard, you should AT LEAST allow 24 BUSINESS hours to get any reply, from any kind of support ?

it prompts a message stating there is an issue with my simobjects.cfg file

It's not very clear what's gave you that message. From your subject, it might seem this message came from SODE installer ? Assuming this is what you meant by adding SODE to the subject, considering GSX simply start the SODE installer in the same way as you might have done separately, with any other product that use SODE so, this is not even a GSX support question to begin with.

If SODE says your simobjects.cfg file has a problem, then yes, your simobjects.cfg DOES have a problem.

However, note that GSX or any other FSDT product DO NOT USE the simobject.cfg AT ALL! The simobject.cfg file normally lists all the folders where default objects can be found. Yes

, it IS possible for 3rd party developers to add their own paths to it, but we don't use that method. More precisely, we used it only with P3D up to 3.3, since from P3D 3.4 and above, the add-on.xml method has been introduced so, all our products in any version higher than 3.4 ( which of course included P3D 4 and 5 ) DO NOT use the simobjects.cfg file anymore.

However, it's possible SODE WILL use it for its own use or for other products that use SODE objects, but not FSDT ones.

This is to say, if you are "sure" your simobjects.cfg is fine, even if the SODE installer or the SODE Platform Manager says it doesn't exists ( this is what says in the lines you posted, which surely are from SODE ), this might indicate a more general problem with your overall P3D installation, like corrupted registry keys, for example.

That WILL of course affect GSX and every FSDT product, even if we don't use the simobject.cfg file, fact it's not found, seems that something's clearly wrong with your P3D install.

A common source of problems like that is the usage of FSX Migration tools, which change the registry keys to allow to install legacy products with outdated installers that don't recognize P3D. These tools might have not be used correctly, or might have not restored the registry correctly after doing their job, or you might have uninstalled them before the correct registry keys could be restored, leaving you stuck with wrong registry keys.

I'm giving this explanation based on your report that you think your simbjects.cfg files are fine. Since I don't have any reason to doubt you, then the ONLY explanation left why SODE can't find them, is the simulator registry keys wrong.

And if the simulator registry keys are wrong, this will surely screw up GSX and any FSDT product, and the FSDT Updater too, since all they rely on the registry keys pointing to the correct installation.

So, again, while the simobject.cfg file issue won't DIRECTLY affect GSX ( we don't use that file ), it's an indication of something wrong in your P3D installation.

callum_ex

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 07:36:57 pm »
I find this very odd that the P3D is corrupt considering it was working before this new update come out.

Shock horror, it seems I am not the only one with an issue. I really do not understand why you are in a customer service role with an attitude so shocking.

I have reinstalled SODE fine without any issues, if I try and run the GSX Live update I am faced with the simobject.cfg problem.

Explanation?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 09:23:26 pm »
I find this very odd that the P3D is corrupt considering it was working before this new update come out.

And what, exactly, the SODE installer has anything to do with "this new update" ? SODE hasn't been updated in a while.

Shock horror, it seems I am not the only one with an issue. I really do not understand why you are in a customer service role with an attitude so shocking.

Of course you are the only one with THIS issue. Have you ever seen ANY other post talking about simobjects.cfg ?

I have reinstalled SODE fine without any issues, if I try and run the GSX Live update I am faced with the simobject.cfg problem.

Explanation?

As I've said already, we use the simobject.cfg method ONLY if P3D is 3.3 or lower or, in case of P3D4, if it's not at least 4.4. The P3D version is checked from the Prepar3d.exe so, the only possible explanation is either you haven't 4.5 OR something must have played with the version number ( Migration products DO THAT! ) and even if your Prepar3d.exe is 4.5, it's version is reported to be 4.3 or less for some reason.

callum_ex

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 09:37:57 pm »
Ok, I understand what you mean, upon looking at the AppData>Roaming > Lockheed Martin folder there is a migration tool back up and inside is a scenery.cfg which pin points to one of my sceneries which appears to be for Prepar3dv2.

Do you think that this could be the fault as to why it may not be working?

Any tips on how to remove the migration tool completely, i know this is not your product but it is worth a shot.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 10:05:01 pm »
Ok, I understand what you mean, upon looking at the AppData>Roaming > Lockheed Martin folder there is a migration tool back up and inside is a scenery.cfg which pin points to one of my sceneries which appears to be for Prepar3dv2.

Do you think that this could be the fault as to why it may not be working?

Now that you checked, I'M SURE that's the main source of all our problems. Or, at least, it surely explain the problem with the simobject.cfg file.

Any tips on how to remove the migration tool completely, i know this is not your product but it is worth a shot.

I don't think I'll be able to suggest how to remove it correctly, because it really depends how it does and if it was uninstalled ( assuming you used it a while ago and then stopped using it ), if it's uninstall process is able to restore the sim in a proper state, if subsequent P3D updates might have messed up things further.

What I'm sure of, it must have altered the P3D .EXE version, which explains why it confused our update, which needs to know exactly which version you have, because it will work differently depending on the sim.

I'd start with something simple:

- Uninstall the Prepar3d Client from the Windows Control Panel

- Check if you still have the Prepar3d.EXE left in the install folder, and remove it if it's still there

- Reinstall the Prepar3d Client.

This should be the easiest/fastest way to restore the P3D .EXE to proper version.

callum_ex

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 10:21:02 pm »
Ok, finally getting somewhere. :)

I have done as suggested, uninstalled GSX from the control panel, restarted my computer and now away to try again with the update with a fresh install.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you.

callum_ex

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 10:29:02 pm »
sadly not worked  :(

callum_ex

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:35:47 pm »
Ok, another discovery and I think I might of found what the issue is (i think, i hope).

So when I went onto the SODE Platform Manager I noticed that the FSX SIMOBJECT keys needed repaired. So then I went into the folder which it directed me to in the appdata > roaming > microsoft > FSX. Could this be the reason why I am getting the errors regarding the simobject.cfg?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 10:38:15 pm »
"Not worked" is not very explanatory. Are you STILL getting the error about missing simobject.cfg file ?

If yes, then I'm afraid either you Prepar3d.exe version is still wrong OR the Migration tool must have done something ELSE in addition to changing the version, like changing the registry keys but, again, I can't possibly know, I can only tell you what abnormal installation issue can potentially affect our installers, which obviously expect the sim installed in its proper form, not mimic as older version because of the Migration tool.

If, instead, you are referring to another problem, not the  simobject.cfg problem, then please describe it accurately.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 10:39:13 pm »
So when I went onto the SODE Platform Manager I noticed that the FSX SIMOBJECT keys needed repaired. So then I went into the folder which it directed me to in the appdata > roaming > microsoft > FSX. Could this be the reason why I am getting the errors regarding the simobject.cfg?

Do you have FSX installed too ? If not, that might be another issue caused by the Migration, which has created a "fake" FSX install, just to force outdated installers made for FSX to install into P3D.

callum_ex

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 10:41:51 pm »
No I have uninstalled FSX for over a year now, and it is physically removed from the control panel as a list of programmes.

Yes, the simobject.cfg is still an issue. I have removed the folders that was directing to FSX and hoping that may help. I cannot understand why a migration tool can cause so many problems, lesson learned I suppose.

with that being said, I have rerun the installer again for the 12th time today in hope of something can be resolved.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 10:58:26 pm »
with that being said, I have rerun the installer again for the 12th time today in hope of something can be resolved.

If you mean the GSX installer, it will never work until you'll restore P3D to an usable state, with all registry keys correctly, the exe version correct, and no fake FSX installations.