Author Topic: Airport cache regeneration completed with FAILURE  (Read 2334 times)

tommy212

Airport cache regeneration completed with FAILURE
« on: October 06, 2021, 12:01:48 am »
Hi All,

Long time user of FSDT products and never had a problem before but I have been getting this error message appear recently with GSX and after looking through the forums for answers I am still drawing blank.  I have attached the Couatl log and a screenshot of the excluded folders in my antivirus to confirm if the correct folders are being excluded.  I have uninstalled GSX & reinstalled GSX, removed and reinstalled required Visual C++ but still facing the same error of "Airport cache regeneration completed with FAILURE".  I have even tried to rebuild Couatl with antivirus disabled but still the same error shows.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brgds,
Tom

OtanerBR

Re: Airport cache regeneration completed with FAILURE
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 04:12:49 am »
I am having the same problem here, using the FSX-SE (yes.. old but gold)!

In my case, a lot of AFCADS was not working with GSX (Level 1, not 2) and using more than 120 seconds to "rebuild cache", and i did what i found in another topic (removing the folders APPDATA/ MICROSOFT/FSX-SE and also Couatl to rebuild the cache).

After that, the menu "customize airport" was gone.. and the same message appear.

PS: i do not have the "Airport cache loaded" message as soon as FSX starts.

Thanks in advance,

Renato
SBSP/BR

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:11:52 am »
I am having the same problem here, using the FSX-SE (yes.. old but gold)!

We can't possibly say you have the "same" problem, unless you post the log, as the OP did.

In my case, a lot of AFCADS was not working with GSX (Level 1, not 2)

Please clarify what do you mean with "not working"

and using more than 120 seconds to "rebuild cache", and i did what i found in another topic (removing the folders APPDATA/ MICROSOFT/FSX-SE

I'm not sure which posts you read but, doing this will be either useless, or possibly totally damaging because the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder is used ONLY if you have BOTH the original FSX and the Steam FSX installed side-by-side which means:

If you are using only the Steam version, that folder won't be used anyway, but it might be a leftover from the time you *had* both installed. A common mistake is uninstalling the original FSX after installing the Steam version *after* a period of using them together. This is wrong and will result in a completely messed up registry, since the original FSX uninstaller doesn't know anything about the Steam version so, it's not able to reconfigure it in "single mode" so, the CORRECT procedure to switch from the original FSX installed *together* with FSX Steam, to an FSX Steam-only configuration is as follows:

- Uninstall FSX:Steam FIRST

- Uninstall the original FSX NEXT

- Reinstall FSX Steam

This will correctly reconfigure all the registry keys to have FSX Steam to behave like the only FSX installed, meaning it won't use ANY of the FSX Steam-specific folders so, using the original ones from FSX instead. Once this procedure is completed correctly, any FSX-SE specific folder can be safely removed, since it won't be used anyway. Again, ONLY after the registry is properly reconfigured for FSX Steam in "Single mode"

If, instead, you DO have both the original FSX and the FSX Steam version installed Side-by-side, the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE  IS used indeed, which means if you remove it, you will have to reinstall GSX, since by removing the FSX_SE.CFG there, you'll lose all extra paths for GSX Simobjects ( and likely other extra paths added by other products ) so, basically, tossing away the FSX_SE.CFG there will require reinstalling ALL add-ons that required extra path for their Simobjects.

That's why I said your removal of that folder could be either useless ( because your transition from "Side-by-side" FSX+FSX:SE to "Single" FSX:SE was done correctly, so the folder wasn't used ), or possibly disastrous, if that folder was used, because you really have both sims still installed side by side.

and also Couatl to rebuild the cache

The current version does it automatically

PS: i do not have the "Airport cache loaded" message as soon as FSX starts.

You are not supposed to have that message anymore, because the current version always rebuilds the cache so, instead of that message, you will see a message of the cache being *rebuilt* ( successfully, hopefully ).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:24:03 am »
I have attached the Couatl log

According to your log, the cache cannot be created, because another process has locked the file, this could be either:

- The antivirus still interfering. I can see from your log you have many paths for sceneries that are not included in your antivirus exclusions. You must exclude them all, and not just for GSX, but also to speed up the initial loading of the sim. With that amount of sceneries you have, I'm sure your sim takes lots of time to start and, by not excluding all these areas, you (not really you, but your antivirus) are contributing to slow down the startup even further, because the antivirus checks in the background every file that will be read, by anything.

- You restarted the sim too quickly after exiting from the sim. If you have many add-ons ( you surely have ), this could take a while, even well long after the simulator icon has disappeared from the Task Bar.

If you want to have a feel how much you should wait on your system, open the GSX Control Panel when the simulator is running, and note how much it takes for the "Compile" button to become available. That's when it's really safe to restart the sim.

If you restarted the sim while all the executable process were closing, it's possible the Couatl executable that was started from the previous session is still running, and that's what is locking access to the airport cache for the next session.

To verify this, restart Windows, so you are sure everything is clean, start the sim, and see if the cache is recreated correctly. Then exit and check with the Task Manager ( in the DETAILS tab ) if Couatl64.exe closes correctly after the sim closes, you'll notice it will take a bit more time after Prepar3d.exe closed.

But be sure you add ALL your folders that contains scenery files to the antivirus Exclusions: you'll should see a noticeable speed up in both the startup time of the sim AND the time it takes GSX to create its cache.

OtanerBR

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:51:40 pm »
We can't possibly say you have the "same" problem, unless you post the log, as the OP did.

I can not post the log because the "OK" button (also the "apply" button) to confirm the modifications to generate the log is OFF, nothing happens, it remains on the same window. Only the "cancel" button works..

Please clarify what do you mean with "not working"

When you land, the program do not read the correct afcad (only the 0105, 0107 bla bla blá, from scenery/something). So, even with the addon airports installed, some of them will not have the GSX available. OR when you select a gate at some airports (addons) and put your aircraft there, and you open the menu, the message that appears is like to choose the gate to use GSX.

and using more than 120 seconds to "rebuild cache", and i did what i found in another topic (removing the folders APPDATA/ MICROSOFT/FSX-SE

I'm not sure which posts you read but, doing this will be either useless, or possibly totally damaging because the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder is used ONLY if you have BOTH the original FSX and the Steam FSX installed side-by-side which means:

If you are using only the Steam version, that folder won't be used anyway, but it might be a leftover from the time you *had* both installed. A common mistake is uninstalling the original FSX after installing the Steam version *after* a period of using them together. This is wrong and will result in a completely messed up registry, since the original FSX uninstaller doesn't know anything about the Steam version so, it's not able to reconfigure it in "single mode" so, the CORRECT procedure to switch from the original FSX installed *together* with FSX Steam, to an FSX Steam-only configuration is as follows:

- Uninstall FSX:Steam FIRST

- Uninstall the original FSX NEXT

- Reinstall FSX Steam

This will correctly reconfigure all the registry keys to have FSX Steam to behave like the only FSX installed, meaning it won't use ANY of the FSX Steam-specific folders so, using the original ones from FSX instead. Once this procedure is completed correctly, any FSX-SE specific folder can be safely removed, since it won't be used anyway. Again, ONLY after the registry is properly reconfigured for FSX Steam in "Single mode"

If, instead, you DO have both the original FSX and the FSX Steam version installed Side-by-side, the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE  IS used indeed, which means if you remove it, you will have to reinstall GSX, since by removing the FSX_SE.CFG there, you'll lose all extra paths for GSX Simobjects ( and likely other extra paths added by other products ) so, basically, tossing away the FSX_SE.CFG there will require reinstalling ALL add-ons that required extra path for their Simobjects.

That's why I said your removal of that folder could be either useless ( because your transition from "Side-by-side" FSX+FSX:SE to "Single" FSX:SE was done correctly, so the folder wasn't used ), or possibly disastrous, if that folder was used, because you really have both sims still installed side by side.

I only have the Steam Edition. And both folders appear in the Program Data: FSX and FSX-SE.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:59:42 pm by OtanerBR »

OtanerBR

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 12:11:57 am »
Ok, i think i solve partially my problem.

Inside the folder "Programdata/Microsoft", i had 2 folders: FSX and FSX-SE. I renamed the FSX folder to FSX1 and FSX-SE to FSX-SE1 to the simulator rebuild the cache. He did another FSX-SE, but i do not renamed the FSX1 to FSX again. After that, the "Scenery Rebuild Cache" appear again, every time i open the simulator.

Now is between 159 and 163 seconds to rebuild the cache.

Instead of reading the AFCAD from the addon airports, the GSX read from C:/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/Scenery. A lot of addon airports are in this situation now.

I don't know how to "point" the GSX to correct Scenery.CFG to read the correct airports.

Thanks in advance,

Renato
SBSP/Brazil

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 11:12:16 am »
Inside the folder "Programdata/Microsoft", i had 2 folders: FSX and FSX-SE. I renamed the FSX folder to FSX1 and FSX-SE to FSX-SE1 to the simulator rebuild the cache. He did another FSX-SE, but i do not renamed the FSX1 to FSX again. After that, the "Scenery Rebuild Cache" appear again, every time i open the simulator.

In my previous post, I've explained why you shouldn't normally have two folders, if you only use FSX:Steam AND you removed the original FSX and reinstalled the FSX:Steam correctly.

Now is between 159 and 163 seconds to rebuild the cache.

Which is still far too long but, of course, it's difficult to know exactly without knowing anything about your system. If your sceneries are located on a mechanical drive, it will surely take longer than if they are on a fast SSD.

In any case, it will surely be faster if you add EVERY folder that contains sceneries to the antivirus Exclusions. This will of course improve the startup time as well, so you shouldn't do it just for GSX, but it's a good practice anyway.