Author Topic: New L: variable FSDT_GSX_FOLLOWME possible?  (Read 1667 times)

stefangr

New L: variable FSDT_GSX_FOLLOWME possible?
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:42:59 pm »
Hi Umberto,

maybe in a future version a new L: variable like FSDT_GSX_FOLLOWME would be possible? It could give the status of the FollowMe, like if it's available, if it's requested, moving or arrived.

Maybe it's then also possible to have variables to see in how many seconds it will arrive and to which parking spot or runway it will carry me.

It would be great to have it to have some automated conversation going on between CP and FO about it.

Thanks
Stefan

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: New L: variable FSDT_GSX_FOLLOWME possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:47:00 pm »
Maybe it's then also possible to have variables to see in how many seconds it will arrive and to which parking spot or runway it will carry me.
I guess I'm curious as to why you would need to know which parking spot or runway it would take you to since as far as I know, you would have to select it anyway, it pick it on its own.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:33:25 am »
The Follow Me doesn't have a state variable associated with it, since it's a Parking service like a Marshaller or a Docking system, not an Assistance service like all the other vehicles, which gets states variable handled automatically. But we could probably add such feature to it.

However, it won't be possible to get the parking name, because L: variables can't be used to share strings, this would require a way more complex interaction between GSX and another add-on using Simconnect custom client data areas, using C++/C#

Yes, we could share just the parking Index, which is an integer number but then, you'll have to read the AFCAD file of the scenery to know its name, basically duplicating what GSX does with its own airport cache.

What we *might* do, could be setting the Lat/Lon coordinates of the currently selected gate (or runway start), since they are float numbers, so they can be easily shared using L: variables. Would that be useful ?

stefangr

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 12:58:46 pm »
Thanks, Umberto and Kevin,

the main idea behind it was that after requesting the follow-me, there is still some action going on in the cockpit regarding checklist reading, after landing flows, ATC communication etc., happening both on departure and on arrival. Sometimes I am just missing whether the follow-me has already arrived or not because I might not be seeing it. So it would be great to have a hint when the follow-me has arrived at the aircraft in order to start the taxiing (I would play a sound then from my script, letting the FO say that follow-me has arrived). That's why I asked for a kind of status - thought it would be the most common thing to have a status like for the jetway or stairs and so on.

To have the seconds until arrival and gate information (type + number) is absolutely nice to have, and of course, Kevin, I should know which gate he is going to since I decided that and selected it. It was just to have maybe a "full package" of follow me variables, if available at all :)

Thanks
Stefan