Author Topic: question about GSX fueling limitations  (Read 1345 times)

nickac1092

• My Youtube Channel
question about GSX fueling limitations
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:31:12 am »
Hi FSDT.  So i got a question about the fueling service with GSX.  In real life when i fuel a widebody aircraft, like for example, the Airbus A330, i fuel it with 5 tanks open at the same time (2 in each wings, and the trim tank).  Is GSX limited by the sim (P3Dv4) or by how its coded since it only fuels 2 tanks at a time?  Would there be any way to change that so it could fuel multiple tanks at the same time speeding up the process?

Another question i have is if i can edit the hydrant truck so that it actually goes under the wing of a 737NG rather than the tiny GSE tanker truck that shows up.  That doesnt happen on Airbus A320s since the wing is higher off the ground. 
Cosmos II super twr / Asus Maximus X Hero / Intel I7 8800K 4.0GHz (OCed to 4.8GHz) / Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHz / 2x Nvidia Zotac 4060TIs 8GB / Corsair AX1200I  / Samsung 2TB OS SSD / WD HDDs: 40TBs total / Windows 10 Home 64bit / **P3Dv4 user** / *Aircraft Fueler @ MSP* *Aviation geek*

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: question about GSX fueling limitations
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:58:11 am »
In real life when i fuel a widebody aircraft, like for example, the Airbus A330, i fuel it with 5 tanks open at the same time (2 in each wings, and the trim tank).  Is GSX limited by the sim (P3Dv4) or by how its coded since it only fuels 2 tanks at a time?

You are describing only the case in which is set to "Show default fuel/cargo" dialog, which usually happens with default airplanes or 3rd party airplanes that don't specifically say otherwise in the GSX internal database, which is the only case in which GSX *actually* refuels the airplane.

In this case ( and this case only ), the refueling is intentionally made with a priority system, first the L/R Main tanks, then the L/R Aux, then the L/W Wing tips and finally the Externals.

That's not a limitation of GSX or P3D and in fact, it was an improvement after the initial release, which refueled all tanks at the same time, see the release notes:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

Feb 2nd 2017

* Refueling starts by filling wings tanks first, then the central ones and finally externals.

I don't remember exactly but, I'm sure we added this following some user feedback saying refueling all tanks at the same time wasn't realistic. I guess it might change on the airplane but, if we had to make this customizable by airplane, it won't make any difference since, most of the airplanes people use GSX with, especially in P3D, are 3rd party complex airplanes which are ALL flagged to NOT use the GSX custom refueling so, if you have to use a customization anyway, chances are it's already set up in a way that it won't matter, unless you are configuring an unsupported airplane from scratch and want to use the default Refueling method.

When the airplane configuration has the "Show default fuel/cargo" option disabled, which is typical for the most popular 3rd party airplanes, GSX is not refueling the plane! It's just "observing" and play its animations based on whatever refueling logic is used by the airplane itself.

Would there be any way to change that so it could fuel multiple tanks at the same time speeding up the process?

Even if we reverted the strategy to refueling all tanks at the same time ( which some users would likely find a regression of that 2017 change ), it won't make any difference to the refueling speed, because that's only related to:

- The refueling vehicle Pump speed , in GPH, as defined in their SIM.CFG.

- The Refueling "Time Acceleration" slider in the GSX Timing, which is the most effective way to speed up refueling.

But again, NONE of these have ANY effect when the airplane is refueling itself, which is the case in most of the 3rd party airplanes that are pre-configured in GSX.

Another question i have is if i can edit the hydrant truck so that it actually goes under the wing of a 737NG rather than the tiny GSE tanker truck that shows up.  That doesn't happen on Airbus A320s since the wing is higher off the ground.

That's exactly what you are supposed to do, as explained in many threads, last one a few days ago:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25528.msg167900.html#msg167900
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:01:33 pm by virtuali »