Author Topic: GSX loads pallets on 90 degree angle to normal angle of angle  (Read 2924 times)

VHEBN

GSX loads pallets on 90 degree angle to normal angle of angle
« on: September 09, 2021, 02:08:27 pm »
Hi Umberto, I have noticed that GSX loads pallets on a 90 degree angle to the normal angle of pallet being loaded into an aeroplane.

Normally, unless you work for Menzies Aviation - Excellence in crashing into the plane where the pallets are towed the same direction as in GSX, the pallets are towed by the tug facing long ways. When it's loaded onto the loader, it is rotated 90 degrees, so that the long side of the pallet is always loaded into the aircraft on a 90 degree angle to the direction of the aircraft. This allows pallets to fit through aircraft cargo doors, which currently in GSX they do not.

Please see attached screenshots.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/885494250958102608/unknown.png

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:31:32 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX loads pallets on 90 degree angle to normal angle of angle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 02:31:22 pm »
the long side of the pallet is always loaded into the aircraft on a 90 degree angle to the direction of the aircraft.

These guys are loading the long side of the pallet aligned to the plane direction:

These guys, instead, are loading at 90 degrees but, when the pallet is on the door, they slant it about 45 degrees to let it pass it through the door, so it will end up in the cargo bay with the long side lined with the airplane direction.

This allows pallets to fit through aircraft cargo doors, which currently in GSX they do not.

So the real issue is not the overall direction used by GSX, which is not wrong, and it is used in real world, if the long side of the pallet fits the door but, instead, the fact GSX MIGHT be improved to take into consideration both the pallet length and the door size and perhaps doing that kind of maneuver seen in the MD-11 video, if the pallet won't fit the door through its longer side.

VHEBN

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:39:23 pm »
bruzzy, in ALL those videos, they're loading onto a main deck in a widebody. This is a different story as the main deck on widebody freighters are designed to load 2 pallets next to each other. In my screenshot I'm clearly not using a freighter with a main deck cargo hold. I'm pretty sure that no passenger aircraft loads like that.

If you wanted to maintain pallets loading the way they did then potentially you could have it only like that for main deck loading? The only issue would then be that narrow body freighters ie A321 P2F load the main deck in the same direction as the cargo hold on any other containerised passenger aircraft.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 02:47:03 pm »
Are you sure you can't fix it with the airplane customization and, for example, prevent the larger pallets to be used in the smaller cargo doors for that particular airplane ?

VHEBN

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
Most probably, but the aircraft are designed to be able to fit these pallets in real life, just on a 90 degree angle to the way they're currently handled in GSX.

I'm no expert in what aircraft everyone flies in their sim but I'd be willing to say more people are flying PAX aircraft capable of loading pallets in the lower hold than people flying freighters with main cargo decks.

Most every passenger flight has freight loaded, generally on pallets, not AKE, as they're faster to load. This was especially evident last year with the freight transport issues caused by the reduction in passenger flights.

VHEBN

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:22:23 am »
Hi Umberto, just wondering if there was any update on this issue?

VHEBN

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 08:01:38 am »
ULD does not fit in the plane.

Some ULDs do not fit correctly in the plane. In this situation I have a ALF container being loaded into PMDG 777.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/490671051311808555/886490844738248774/unknown.png
As is clear from the picture, there seems to have been a loading incident involving the container tareing through the skin on the other side of the aircraft.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:56:15 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:22 am »
I merged the two topics you opened, because they are the same issue. I think I already replied to this, GSX doesn't have a loading strategy that changes depending which side of the container is larger, we might add it in the future, of course.

As I've said in my last reply, a possible solution would be configuring that airplane to load only those that fit, according to the way GSX loads them.

VHEBN

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 10:13:26 am »
I merged the two topics you opened, because they are the same issue.
No, they're different issues. The ALF was being loaded in the correct orientation, it just wasn't centred in the aircraft which was causing it to stick out the side.

That has nothing to do with this thread.

I think I already replied to this, GSX doesn't have a loading strategy that changes depending which side of the container is larger, we might add it in the future, of course.

As I've said in my last reply, a possible solution would be configuring that airplane to load only those that fit, according to the way GSX loads them.
That's understandable, of all the issues, I don't think this is really a priority. In saying that though, I think it should be addressed some time in the future.

When it comes to loading freight on widebody passenger aircraft, pallets (mainly PMC, but also PAG and others) are one of the most common types of ULD. Not that it really changes if pallets are loaded or not, but with the amount of freight only flights being operated by passenger airliners these days, I would think that some kind of logic to change the loading orientation between main and lower deck cargo holds.

VHEBN

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 10:17:34 am »
The ALF was being loaded in the correct orientation, it just wasn't centred in the aircraft which was causing it to stick out the side.

My other screenshot was not very good to explain the issue here, let me make a more detailed explanation of the issue.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 10:21:58 am »
My other screenshot was not very good to explain the issue here, let me make a more detailed explanation of the issue.

The issue is not entirely identical but, it IS very much related so yes, this place was the correct place to post it.

Before your post a detailed explanation, there's no need for it. Right now, GSX doesn't really know about exact measurement of the plane internal cabin so, ULD/Pallet loading is made using a generic calculation based on fixed distances that don't change by airplane.

Doing it right, would require having to configure exactly for each plane those data. And, we'll probably need to add extra data to know exactly how many containers of each type can fit, which would be even more complex when mixing up different types of pallets. That would probably justify a completely separate add-on dedicated only to cargo operations.

Again, everything's possible, and everything's noted for possible future updates.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:29:01 am by virtuali »

VHEBN

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 10:36:36 am »
The issue is not entirely identical but, it IS related so yes, this place was the correct place to post it.
I don't really agree but sure

Before your post a detailed explanation, there's no need for it. Right now, GSX doesn't really know about exact measurement of the plane internal cabin so, ULD/Pallet loading is made using a generic calculation based on fixed distances that don't change by airplane.
No, I think this is actually an issue specificly with how ALF is positioned in GSX.
As I'm sure you're aware, the lower hold is designed in such a way that allows contoured containers ie. AKE, ALF etc. to more effectively use space in the rounded fusalage. When the loaded is used on an aircraft, the loader is parked in such a away that the loader floor meets the floor of the aircraft.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/886891669079883776/unknown.png
In this diagram the yellow represents the upper deck of the deck loader, the red the interior wall of the hold, and the blue the external skin.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/886892190947749918/unknown.png
In this version of the diagram, the green represents the ALF. This is how it should be loaded. The issue is caused by the ALF being loaded as if it were a pallet, GSX does not account for the contour. Like this:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/886892643311820800/unknown.png

With the sim paused with the ALF in the correct spot, you can see the issue is not present:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/886892817765531648/2021-9-13_18-23-9-656.png

However with the ALF fully loaded, it is sticking out the other side like the screenshot in the original post:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304906290399019008/886892827131400222/2021-9-13_18-23-33-721.png

This issue is completely different from the issue with pallets being loaded on the incorrect angle.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:36:01 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 11:41:45 am »
This issue is completely different from the issue with pallets being loaded on the incorrect angle.

It's still related to the way GSX loads pallets and ULD with the information it has.

However, maybe in this case it might just be a matter of checking if all containers have their center of gravity set correctly.