Author Topic: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate  (Read 20757 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2021, 03:24:07 pm »
It worked fine initially, but then back to no GSX. 

Have you got the latest update ?

Are you clearing the cache before every startup, possibly using a batch file as explained above ?

skyymann

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2021, 03:45:51 pm »
I was not clearing the cache. I thought the update was doing that. I will run the batch file and see how that goes. I did run the update.

Scott

hammertime

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2021, 07:38:18 pm »
Hi Umberto, thought you might like some feedback. The patch dated 8th Sept is seemingly not enough to resolve this issue

Applied the 8th Sept update. LiveUpdate killed the %programdata%\virtuali\couatl folder.

Launched sim, spawned at an airport

GSX rebuild the airport database - GSX present in Add-ons menu - GSX works

Closed sim - all related processes closed fine

Re-launched sim, spawned at an airport - %programdata%\virtuali\couatl folder is still present, and GSX is no longer in the Add-ons menu

Closed sim - couatl process hangs and does not close (needs to be forcibly killed)

With the couatl process confirmed closed, launch sim with bat file, GSX operates normally again (and process terminates cleanly after sim is closed)

GSX will work correctly on all subsequent sim restarts using the bat file method

Hope that kind of helps locate what the issue is
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:18:56 pm by hammertime »

tangjuice81

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2021, 04:14:38 am »
I'm going to have to try the update because I don't have GSX in my menu anymore. Thanks for bringing back the logos to V5, Umberto!

skyymann

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2021, 07:17:39 am »
I'm seeing this as well. The Couatl process will not close on an P3DV4.5 restart. If I force it to close and restart, the update with the batch file works as published.

Scott

disco79stu

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2021, 07:56:57 am »
Let's just hope they fix this quickly...

baggycat

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2021, 09:02:22 am »
I have the same problem as anyone else...
After looking at the sim it seems that when you restart the sim after shutdown, and go to add ons it reverts to trial mode which could be an issue.
Update to the lastest version, works and is active, if you shut down then reload, it reverts to trial mode.

Any suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2021, 10:33:24 am »
We had ANOTHER update ( though it hasn't been listed in the release notes yet ) yesterday so, even if you updated the 8th, it doesn't mean you have the latest version so, please, try again.

The difference is this new update will AUTOMATICALLY clear the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl folder at each restart, something you HAD to do manually at each start in the first version of the fix ( or using a batch file, as suggested in previous posts )

This means:

- If you tried the first version of the 8th fix, and you didn't clear the folder before each start, it was expected to not work on a 2nd launch because, the first version of the fix only fixed a restart in-game, not the first start, you still had to clear the cache manually.

- If you run the FSDT Live Update again, you will get another updated that will clear the cache for you automatically at each restart, not requiring to do anything or use a batch file anymore so, in theory, this should fix the problem for everyone.

disco79stu

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2021, 11:51:53 am »
We had ANOTHER update ( though it hasn't been listed in the release notes yet ) yesterday so, even if you updated the 8th, it doesn't mean you have the latest version so, please, try again.

The difference is this new update will AUTOMATICALLY clear the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl folder at each restart, something you HAD to do manually at each start in the first version of the fix ( or using a batch file, as suggested in previous posts )

This means:

- If you tried the first version of the 8th fix, and you didn't clear the folder before each start, it was expected to not work on a 2nd launch because, the first version of the fix only fixed a restart in-game, not the first start, you still had to clear the cache manually.

- If you run the FSDT Live Update again, you will get another updated that will clear the cache for you automatically at each restart, not requiring to do anything or use a batch file anymore so, in theory, this should fix the problem for everyone.

This does not work for me.
Even with the latest update, the folder won't be cleared. Maybe due to the fact that the couatl64_P3D.exe process isn't closing with P3D.
But even when I terminate the process manually, opening P3D won't clear that folder and GSX will stay inoperable.

Only thing that works for me right now is to a) have the Couatl process terminated (manually) and b) run the batch file to clear the folder.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2021, 12:41:32 pm »
This does not work for me. Even with the latest update, the folder won't be cleared. Maybe due to the fact that the couatl64_P3D.exe process isn't closing with P3D.  But even when I terminate the process manually, opening P3D won't clear that folder and GSX will stay inoperable.

Only thing that works for me right now is to a) have the Couatl process terminated (manually) and b) run the batch file to clear the folder.

I don't think you have the last update. Please try again now.

Note that, the updated file that clears the cache is the Addon Manager so, for P3D V5, it's the file named bglmanx65.dll.

You can check with absolute certainty if you have the latest version by checking the timestamp of the Digital Signature, it must be of today. If it's not, run the FSDT Live Update again, and check if you get the latest version. It might just be a matter of waiting until all Cloudflare nodes are replicated with the latest file so, not everyone will get it at exactly the same time.

hammertime

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2021, 12:43:10 pm »
We had ANOTHER update ( though it hasn't been listed in the release notes yet )

Will run this again to rule this out.

For anyone getting stuck couatl processes on sim exit, I've added the following to the bat file (must be run as Administrator)

taskkill /im couatl64_P3D.exe /F
DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl /s /q
start "" "E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\PREPAR3D.exe"

(change the path to your v5 exe as appropriate)

Seems to more reliably ensure GSX works on sim restart

Will post back after checking LiveUpdate (again)

disco79stu

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2021, 12:49:09 pm »
Okay, did another update since there apparently was one an hour ago and now it works!

The process now gets shut down with P3D.
The caches are rebuilt every time the sim starts.
GSX works every sim start now.

Thanks!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2021, 12:51:53 pm »
for anyone getting stuck couatl processes on sim exit, I've added the following to the bat file (must be run as Administrator)

The batch file is no longer required with the latest update, which always clear the airport cache at each startup. We also updated the release notes to keep track of all fixes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:00:48 pm by virtuali »

hammertime

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2021, 03:19:07 pm »
GSX works every sim start now.

Thanks!!

Reassuring to hear  :)

hammertime

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »
Note that, the updated file that clears the cache is the Addon Manager so, for P3D V5, it's the file named bglmanx65.dll.

You can check with absolute certainty if you have the latest version by checking the timestamp of the Digital Signature, it must be of today.

I can confirm I now have this file with matching timestamp on the digital signature. Hopefully this is me sorted too. Thanks