Author Topic: New Realistic HUD Tacan Problem  (Read 6182 times)

idahosurge

New Realistic HUD Tacan Problem
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:59 pm »
Hello,

There maybe a problem with the TACAN being able to display some of the VOR/DME information on some frequency's.  I can duplicate this with both the New Realistic FA18A Accel HUD and the New Realistic Cap Sim FA18D HUD.

The HUD will not display "TCN 0.7 NBC" while in range of MCAS Beaufort, SC, freq 110.50 / 42X.  If using the default Acceleration FA18 HUD the HUD will display this.

I also noticed that neither the default HUD or the upgraded HUD will display the information for Savannah, GA freq 115.95, but both will display the information for Savannah, GA freq 111.60

Can anyone else duplicate this or is this just my system?

Rod

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: New Realistic HUD Tacan Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:44:05 pm »
Idaho...

Im guessing it has something to do with how civilian and military airport VOR/DME and TACANs are done in FSX?  Maybe some difference in TACAN vs. VOR/DME systems and how they are done within the simulator?  I have the same problem, when I fly from Nellis to Miramar, I can never get the TACAN needle or range info on the HUD.  I can switch DME modes and get TACAN range on the Baron Radio Stack that I have configured on my Hornet as a pull up screen, but no needle or info on the HUD at all.  However, when flying from MCAS Miramar to Williams Gateway (icao KIWA, used to be military but long since civilian airfield), I just dial in IWA TACAN for NAV2, dial in the correct ILS on NAV1 for Rwy 30C and I get all the info. for ILS and TACAN on the HUD.  Just fly from KIWA, load up the TACAN on your NAV1, change your NAV2 to that freq., then input the correct ILS on NAV1 and do some touch-n-go's.  Should get all the proper info for ILS and TACAN with the NEW HUD.

Can send a screen shot if you need, but I think the simple answer is VOR/DME is done differently than military TACAN in FSX.  There are probly far better explanations from some of the members of this forum.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »
Sludge, I 'm not able to use FSX at moment so I'll just guess from memories long ago that TACAN was a strictly military system (in Australia anyway) with only military airfields having TACAN and only military aircraft able to use it. One exception was HMAS Melbourne - she had TACAN - what a lifesaver.  ;D

Others have mentioned the air to air capability was limited to range (I think) so then pilots could use an ADF (radio) bearing to get a simulated 'air to air TACAN' as I recall now very vaguely. I'll do some research....

(EDIT) Interesting thread here...:  "Well, that certainly makes sense and I have long been thinking that if A/A TACAN was possible (which you guys proved on the FS9 Super Bug), that this could be done."

http://www.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=15250
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:05:52 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:08 am »
Idaho...

OK, Im just plain DUMB.  KIWA doesnt have TACAN range info on the HUD.  It will give a steering arrow but no HUD info., however if you fly right over to KPHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor), bamm-O.  VOR/DME ranging info. along with ILS crosshairs.

Sorry bout that, Im getting more senile with every passing day.

Later
Sludge

idahosurge

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »
Thanks Sludge, it is nice to know that it is an FSX thing.

Rod

Paco

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »
All,

I've had the same problems with the TACAN.  Also, there are times I can't move the steering course.  Not a big deal, just annoying.  I haven't tried using the paired frequencies yet.  Ie. using the VOR freq for a given TACAN.  I suspect it's an FSX thing.

/r,
Paco