Author Topic: Problem with Taxiway centerline lights at JFK and ORD  (Read 7742 times)

TomcatRyan

Problem with Taxiway centerline lights at JFK and ORD
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:15:29 am »
I have a problem with the green taxiway centerline lights at JFK and ORD.  I haven't noticed anyone else posting on this issue.

They are appearing as solid cubes all along the taxiways.  I have tried changing the graphics selections and nothing seems to be working.  Its very annoying.  Everything else with the scenery is working and displaying correctly except for the green taxiway lights.  The runway centerline lights all appear correctly.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem with Taxiway centerline lights at JFK and ORD
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:36:19 pm »
Nobody reported it before, because it's surely not a problem of the scenery, but something that happened on your system.

Assuming the problem doesn't fix itself by reinstalling KORD (because you might have lost a file), problem such these sometimes happens when installing alternate addons files, like lights enhancements, fixes, replacement textures, alternation to FSX default config files. KORD uses the default fx_2.bmp file that is coming with FSX so, any alteration to that one, might create problems.

Or, it might also happened if you removed the scenery manually, then reinstalled it by simply copy its scenery/texture folders, instead of using its installed because, there are other files that are needed to be installed in the Effects folder, for example. Of course, this never happens if always using the proper installer, and should be fixed be reinstalling in any case.

Other than that, it can only be a video driver problem.

TomcatRyan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:48 am »
I reinstalled both sceneries.  JFK now works fine.  ORD is still displaying solid cubes where all the taxiway centerline lights are. 
I do not have that many add ons, a few of the Imagine Sim sceneries and Captain Sim 757 thats about it. 

any further thoughts?  or I guess I will just fly into ORD during the day. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:42:24 am »
The KORD reinstallation might have been useful only in case you lost somehow another file of the scenery that *came* with KORD, and was related to taxilights, but it wasn't the only possible solution.

As I've said ( "KORD uses the default fx_2.bmp file that is coming with FSX" ), if something has replaced that file, reinstalling KORD will not fix it, because it was never installed with KORD to begin with. 

It's not sure that it was an addon that modified that file: you might have simply lost it or having it corrupted for any other reason so, you should find a way to restore it from the original FSX discs.

Avion

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »
Taxiway lights at O'Hare do not render properly when FSX is in "Preview DirectX 10" mode. That leaves a lot of us only able to make daytime flights to and from O'Hare.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:07:28 pm by Avion »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 02:11:10 pm »
Taxiway lights at O'Hare do not render properly for any of us who use FSX in "Preview DirectX 10" mode.

That to be expected. We don't support DX10 in any of our sceneries, with the exception of JFK which, incidentally, took a lot of criticism for having less ground texture quality compared to the other ones.

I'm one of the many FSX users who run aircraft liveries and airports only in Preview DirectX 10 mode. If a livery or airport does not render properly in Preview DirectX 10 mode, I don't use it.

That's your own choice, but you are in a very small minority. DX10 Preview is so buggy, that not even the default airports renders correctly. Is really an unfinished work.

The problem at O'Hare does not result from a missing or corrupt fx_2.bmp file. It would be a shame to leave the problem uncorrected. Other than the problem with the lights, the airport is an impressive work. I hope a patch will be issued.

There's no "patch" planned because, the DX10 problem lies in the very way how the airport is done which, due to the vast majority of users, that are using DX9 ( or even FS9, btw ), DX10 compatibility is not rated very importantly, which is clearly shown by the sales. Having full DX10 compatibility would mean redoing the airport from scratch, and making a specific FSX-only version, losing FS9 back-portability in the meantime.

You want a fully native FSX DX10 compliant airport: we have Cloud9 Orlando.

Wasn't for the "small" detail that, due to the constraints of having full DX10 compatibility, we had to renounce having a certain kind of ground rendering ( and of course it's FSX only ), resulting in actual sales about 1/10th of O'Hare just because of this, it's clear that users are voting with their wallets and, the vast majority of them is not prepared to lose the ground quality they get used to, in order to gain DX10 compatibility, which can only means, DX10 users are a very small minority, otherwise we would have seen a surge in KMCO sales, because it's the only scenery that is 100% FSX native.

We are exploring new solutions for KDFW to finally have DX10 compatibility, with a very high quality custom ground. This means the FSX version will look much better than than FS9. Which is something we might afford now, year 2010, when FSX is a little bit more established compared to 2 years ago, when O'Hare was released. If we released an FSX-only or even an too muchb FSX-oriented O'Hare in 2008, we would have gone bankrupt already by now...

Which doesn't change the fact that, the scenery is done like is done, because these are things you need to decide at the initial stages of developement, it can't be just "patched", because it would mean basically redoing it. In fact, what we are doing for KDFW, doesn't have anything in common with all our previous products, the whole design process is radically different, and it's not something that can be retrofitted to an already existing scenery.

Avion

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
Your rapid and thorough response is greatly appreciated! If you release a DirectX-10-compliant version of O'Hare, count me among the first buyers!

JFKpilot

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »
We are exploring new solutions for KDFW to finally have DX10 compatibility, with a very high quality custom ground. This means the FSX version will look much better than than FS9. Which is something we might afford now, year 2010, when FSX is a little bit more established compared to 2 years ago, when O'Hare was released. If we released an FSX-only or even an too muchb FSX-oriented O'Hare in 2008, we would have gone bankrupt already by now...

Which doesn't change the fact that, the scenery is done like is done, because these are things you need to decide at the initial stages of developement, it can't be just "patched", because it would mean basically redoing it. In fact, what we are doing for KDFW, doesn't have anything in common with all our previous products, the whole design process is radically different, and it's not something that can be retrofitted to an already existing scenery.

Sorry for being off-topic, but are you able to give us more info on this? I admit I couldn't see the difference from the initial preview shots -- looked like the usual fs2k2 gmax ground. It's not so much the DX10 compatibility with high-detail ground (which would be no mean feat itself) but the "FSX version will look much better than than FS9" that gets me excited.
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:27 am »
I admit I couldn't see the difference from the initial preview shots -- looked like the usual fs2k2 gmax ground. l look much better than than FS9" that gets me excited.

That screenshot doesn't contain anything of the new stuff. Which can't be really fully appreciated from that height anyway, and can't really glimpsed from a static screenshot because, what makes it different, is ever changing nature of the advanced materials when seen live from different viewing angles so, in order to fully judge it, one has to see it in FSX.

Which is good for us, since we have Trial versions...