Author Topic: Question on Hud  (Read 5946 times)

Perry333

Question on Hud
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:10:47 am »
Yesterday I tried a flight with a flight plan and and tried out the AP. Everything went fine, but sometime into the flight the pitch ladder and the circle that shows were you plane is going moved off to the right side of the Hud. Even when I took it off AP it still wanted to stay there. I notice that if I banked the plane it would try to center and then go to the right again. I never had this before and it did not center it self till I closer to arriving airport. I am not sure if I did something wrong or activated a button that I should'nt have? Any help appreciated.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Question on Hud
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:50:28 am »
Perry...

How high were you?  Im guessing high enough that "winds aloft" affected the HUD actual velocity vector to the point of moving the HUD Pitch Ladder and V/Vector off the screen.  The AP was just correcting for winds aloft in your flight path.  And once you got low and the winds became reasonable again, the Ladder and V/Vector became manageable, right?!  Ive had winds aloft in the neighborhood of 268 mag/58 kts when flying from Tinker AFB to NAS Fort Worth, so its perfectly reasonable for that to happen.  Anyway, if it happens again, try "caging" the HUD (just click on the "CAGE" button on the HUD control panel).  The Ladder will recenter and you should see a "ghost v/vector" on the same place your HUD Ladder and V/Vector were.

Hope that helped.
Later
Sludge

Pop

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »
As far as the "color" switch goes, it appears that there is a 'red" option, but it is very faint, how do I make it darker and useable??

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:21:40 pm »
Pop...

Are you using the earlier revised HUD that myself and Doum worked on alot?  The current, and better, new HUD from Neutrino doesnt have the color button that Im aware of, and its "cage" function works instead of the color button.  Regardless, I have tried to repaint the older HUD to a "useable" RED and got tired of going thru MSPAINT to get it working, so I quit.  Sorry for the bad news, but thats how you have to do it.  Repaint all the .bmp files in the HUD_VC folder to a color you want.  They should be named something like "HUD_Caret_0000FFFF.bmp", where the 0000FFFF or whatever it is, is the hex code to differentiate between colors.  Just use MSPAINT to repaint all the files with the 0000FFFF ending to a red that you like.  But keep in mind its a painfully long process and be sure to back up your original FA18_HUD_VC folder before starting.

If I confused you sorry, just PM me if you have questions or for additional details.
Later
Sludge

Pop

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:44:56 pm »
Think I'll just 'let it be!!!

Perry333

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:58:52 am »
Hey Sludge, Thanks for the reply and that makes alot of sense. Yes I was at 28000 when that was happening. I will give the cage a try, Thanks for the help. BTW I like to use the replay function to watch my landings at airports, but it seems like you can't do this with the nimitz carrier as it is invisible when you use replay. Is there a way to do this? Thanks again Perry.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:12:48 pm »
Perry...

No worries, we are here to help.  As far as viewing Nimitz carriers in replay or making a movie, from what I understand, it cant be done easily.  It involves something like saving your flight and knowing the coords/exact point where you landed and putting a carrier there??  Maybe some of the other fellas that have made good videos can help you out?  I know its not easy using the replay, thats why my one youtube video was done "live" and using Fraps.

Later
Sludge

ESzczesniak

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 05:50:17 pm »
As for making movies/replays, it all depends how you set up the flight to begin with.  If you're using AICarriers2 to place carriers at random, it can be quite difficult.  However, if you're using a mission it's a bit easier.  Start the mission and then pause it.  Save this paused mission start and then start recording using FSRecorder.  As soon as you hit the record button, hit "P" to unpause the mission and then fly like normal (the shorter delay between these two actions, the better).  When all is done, save your recording and then exit the mission.  Reload the mission from the saved start that was "paused", load the recording and watch.  The ship moves as a seperate item from the recording, but since it's the same mission and it's on the same AI track, it'll be in the right place at any given time.