Author Topic: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz  (Read 156016 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:13 pm »
Fellas...

For those of you that like to fly realistic carrier patterns on the weekends, when I have AirBoss/Paddles, I wont do "extensions" anymore.  Meaning, I wont space you out by keeping you "long" in the downwind, then having you turn at 1.6/1.7 TCN.  This error was pointed out by Paco and the correct way makes alot of sense.  It will also prevent people running into one another on their final rollouts and with others who are on a "long" final crashing into each other.  Luckily, nobody runs with enforce host realism and crash detection ON otherwise our sessions wouldnt last for squat.

To explain, when you hit the "180, Abeam" call, I wont say "cleared to extend".  Instead, I will clear the #1 jet to land, and request the others to go around.  Here's how that works.
If you are #1 in line, you will be cleared to land.  Start your turn at the normal time and use your pattern procedures to land.
If you are #2 in line and the #1 jet has already called the 90, you will be cleared to start your turn and land.  However, if you are #2 and the jet in front of you hasnt called the 90, you will be requested to go around.  At which point, make your level left turn from the 180 AS IF you were gonna land but stay at 600' AGL through the whole turn.  Keep your turn to BRC (if you dont know what that is, I cant help you during the session, will have to give you a side seat tutorial) and roll out, all the while maintaining 600 AGL.  Once you pass over the carrier, wait til youre 1.0 TCN in front before starting your 30 AoB turn back to downwind.  Fly the downwind and setup for the 180, Abeam. Make the call, youll be #1 for landing.
IF you are #3 to land and I tell you to "go around", do the same thing #2 did, except once I say "go around", you climb to 1000' AGL.  Fly the entire pattern the same as #2, except at 1000' AGL.  Then when re-established on the downwind, look below and if no traffic or you see #2 safely ahead of you, descend to 600 AGL and fly the downwind to the Abeam, 180.  Make the 180, Abeam call and if #1 is past the 90, youll be cleared to land.

Im just putting this up there cause there is alot of confusion in the pattern and Im just trying to get it organized so the people who want realistic pattern work/AirBoss/Paddles from me can get it and enjoy the experience more.  I know some people dont give a flying rat's %$$ bout it, and thats not a problem.  If you are one of those people, try to be considerate of others.  Have some SA (situational awareness) of whats happening in and around the carrier.
Things to remember to help me out.  If you want to do "touch and go's", when launching off the cats, or setting up a carrier break, space yourselves out by at least 30 secs.  This way, you give the #1 jet (and #2, so on) plenty of time to get past the 90, and you will be cleared to land.  And keep SA about where others are, so you can keep your spacing and have min comms if youre not on final for landing.

Thanks
Sludge
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:49:48 pm by Sludge »

Sucotash

« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »
Nice  :D
You're in the slot!

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »
Fellas...

For those of you that like to fly realistic carrier patterns on the weekends, when I have AirBoss/Paddles, I wont do "extensions" anymore.  Meaning, I wont space you out by keeping you "long" in the downwind, then having you turn at 1.6/1.7 TCN.  This error was pointed out by Paco and the correct way makes alot of sense.  It will also prevent people running into one another on their final rollouts and with others who are on a "long" final crashing into each other.  Luckily, nobody runs with enforce host realism and crash detection ON otherwise our sessions wouldnt last for squat.

To explain, when you hit the "180, Abeam" call, I wont say "cleared to extend".  Instead, I will clear the #1 jet to land, and request the others to go around.  Here's how that works.
If you are #1 in line, you will be cleared to land.  Start your turn at the normal time and use your pattern procedures to land.
If you are #2 in line and the #1 jet has already called the 90, you will be cleared to start your turn and land.  However, if you are #2 and the jet in front of you hasnt called the 90, you will be requested to go around.  At which point, make your level left turn from the 180 AS IF you were gonna land but stay at 600' AGL through the whole turn.  Keep your turn to BRC (if you dont know what that is, I cant help you during the session, will have to give you a side seat tutorial) and roll out, all the while maintaining 600 AGL.  Once you pass over the carrier, wait til youre 1.0 TCN in front before starting your 30 AoB turn back to downwind.  Fly the downwind and setup for the 180, Abeam. Make the call, youll be #1 for landing.
IF you are #3 to land and I tell you to "go around", do the same thing #2 did, except once I say "go around", you climb to 1000' AGL.  Fly the entire pattern the same as #2, except at 1000' AGL.  Then when re-established on the downwind, look below and if no traffic or you see #2 safely ahead of you, descend to 600 AGL and fly the downwind to the Abeam, 180.  Make the 180, Abeam call and if #1 is past the 90, youll be cleared to land.

Im just putting this up there cause there is alot of confusion in the pattern and Im just trying to get it organized so the people who want realistic pattern work/AirBoss/Paddles from me can get it and enjoy the experience more.  I know some people dont give a flying rat's %$$ bout it, and thats not a problem.  If you are one of those people, try to be considerate of others.  Have some SA (situation awareness) of whats happening.
Things to remember to help me out.  If you want to do "touch and go's", when launching off the cats, or setting up a carrier break, space yourselves out by at least 30 secs.  This way, you give the #1 jet (and #2, so on) plenty of time to get past the 90, and you will be cleared to land.  And keep SA about where others are, so you can keep your spacing and have min comms if youre not on final for landing.

Thanks
Sludge

I see we have a more organized approach pattern going on for this weekend; I understand it, but I hope that the other members in the session are knowledgeable of it by Saturday. I still say we should have a pre-determined line of approach, where we determine ahead of time who will land when, or at least something a bit more organized, instead of everyone trying to land at the same time. I can see why everyone would want to land all at once, not worth it to go around again and having to wait;) The difference is, in real life, you have no choice of when you can land in most cases, it is based obviously on the pattern. Some are still going to land when they want, but I don't concern over that much anyhow.

"A/B"
Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:33 pm »
Dont know if the initial pattern entry will be more organized, as we have some people who just wanna "get there first".  No big deal.  Im just not of that crowd and would rather do a carrier break w/others.

However, if some of you wanna join up and do legit pattern breaks w/intervals, then let me know and we can coordinate beforehand.  If I dont take the first Tanker/LSO/AirBoss run, Id be more than happy to lead a two/four ship out to the carrier and do a standard break pattern.

PM me to discuss or we can meet up on Skype beforehand.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2010, 07:33:55 pm »
BTW, not to toot my own horn, but good god, the FSXBA v1.1 IS BAD.  It has those highly overpowered engines, no decent drag along w/autoflaps that dont fully deploy.  Plus, the gear isnt done right.  You cant taxi above 10 kts w/out feeling like youre gonna tip over as it leans heavily.  I was only able to land ONCE on the carrier and TWICE on land.  Its soo hard to control a plane that literally FLOATS on idle power.

The reason I installed this was twofold.  First, I was doing a rework of the Sludge Hornet gear last night, because after watching the youtube of the SOUNDPACK and fsxnavypilot said he used some of my tweaks I wondered if the Sludge Hornet was just a bit nose high on taxi, just like his videos.  Sure enough, it is.  So I was reworking that.  I figured I might as well try out the FSXBA Hornet and see what all the hub-bub was about and if they came up with a better solution than mine, as far as landing gear specs.  NOPE.  It actually goes backwards and is worse in several ways.  Their "nose strut fix" (where the nose gear doesnt compress on carrier landings) actually puts the nose gear about halfway into the tarmac during low (4k and below) fuel states.  And, like I said, the trike doesnt balance well and youll almost tip over if you do a hard turn at 10+ kts.

So, the good news is that I came up with new gear contact points numbers in the aircraft.cfg file.  For the most part, once Im done with final testing tonite, and I feel satisfied the new numbers are clearly better, I will have those available for download to all.  I will download the file on Skype before the multiplayer and you can simply cut-paste into your existing Sludge Hornet folder for the install.  Easy.  Anybody who doesnt have the Sludge Hornet, the newer numbers will be integrated into that package, so all you have to do is unzip, cut and paste, and its already part of the jet.

This will give the Sludge Hornet a more even look to it.  Initially, I think I went too "low rider" with the MLG a tad low and the nose gear a tad high.  When taxiing, the visual looks like the Sludge Hornet is a tad tail low and nose high.  This fixes that and gives a much more even-keeled look, and should maintain the same great feel and taxiing capability (ie, doing "big wheel" spinouts on the taxiway without tipping over or crashing, you know who you are) that weve all grown accustomed to enjoying.

Later
Sludge

Paco

« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:56 pm »
Dont know if the initial pattern entry will be more organized, as we have some people who just wanna "get there first".  No big deal.  Im just not of that crowd and would rather do a carrier break w/others.

However, if some of you wanna join up and do legit pattern breaks w/intervals, then let me know and we can coordinate beforehand.  If I dont take the first Tanker/LSO/AirBoss run, Id be more than happy to lead a two/four ship out to the carrier and do a standard break pattern.

PM me to discuss or we can meet up on Skype beforehand.

Later
Sludge
I'm up for a little pattern work for those who want it.   I'll even get in the tower and control the pattern for a few circuits. 

Paco

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
Yeah I'm always up for a little practice, give me a Skype message and I'll be around...
Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »
Im at work now, ill get off and be at home around 4:30 central time.

Will look for you on Skype for some pattern work.

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2010, 10:32:00 pm »
Hey Sludge

Great signature ..from hot shots right? Great movie far more realistic than Top gun eh..  ;D sorry j.r. couldnt resist  :P
"stop calling me shirley" LOL
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2010, 01:30:04 am »
Just got done with testing and I like the new numbers and the new look.  It also retains good taxi/takeoff/ramp handling and spin-out capability.  Ill send out the aircraft.cfg file here, so you can simply cut and paste the new aircraft.cfg file into the already installed Sludge Hornet Basic.  For the FX version, cut and paste the [Gear] contact points numbers and put them into the aircraft.cfg file in your Sludge Hornet FX folder.  As you can see, I rem'd out (//) the old numbers underneath the current ones, so you can revert back if you dont like the new numbers.

For those of you who dont have and would like the Sludge Hornets (Basic and FX), PM me and I can get them sent to ya!

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »
Thanks Sludge !!
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »
No worries Sonova...

And the quotes are from "Airplane!".  One of the first, best airline comedy movies of all time.  Nothing was safe from spoofing in that flick.

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:01 pm »
aaaahhh!!!! my bad... you are right hot shots was topper harley!!!! Stryker was the airline pilot with the drinking problem hehehe
Simon"Sonofa"Beech

Orion

« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »
Stryker was the airline pilot with the drinking problem hehehe
Isn't that ...JET with drinking problems? :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:10:28 pm by Orion »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »
aaaahhh!!!! my bad... you are right hot shots was topper harley!!!! Stryker was the airline pilot with the drinking problem hehehe

Yeah, that was it.  Now I just changed it to one of my favorite Topper Harley lines.  Hope you like?

BTW, what technique did you use to throw the x45?  Hammerthrow?  Discus?  Shotput?

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:49:25 pm by Sludge »