Author Topic: f-18 maximum rotation angles for the control surfaces  (Read 7719 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
f-18 maximum rotation angles for the control surfaces
« on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:31 am »
does anybody know what are the maximum angle values for these?
like the rest position is 0° i would assume flaps rotate 45° down in a maximum, but im just guessing.
i want to know these values because im rigging my f-18 for my movie, so it would be good to know all the angles like:

stabilizers up and down angles
rudders left and right
ailerons up and down
flaps down (same to the front things that goes down with the flaps, i believe they rotate 1/3 of the flaps rotation, again just guessing)

well this for the main control surfaces, it would also be good to know other sutff like:

canopy opened angle
tail hook max angle
launch bar
spoiler
wing folds
radome (probably 90° this one)

all information i can get!

thanks folks, soon a preview of the plane  :D

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: f-18 maximum rotation angles for the control surfaces
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:39 am »
Legacy Hornet NATOPS has some answers - but not a lot - for your questions:

Meet The Hornet. The F/A-18A/C Hornet is a single-place fighter/attack aircraft built by McDonnell Douglas Aerospace. ... The aircraft features a variable camber mid-wing with leading edge extensions (LEX) mounted on each side of the fuselage from the wing roots to just forward of the windshield. The twin vertical stabilizers are angled outboard 20° from the vertical.

Aircraft Dimensions. The approximate dimensions of the aircraft are as follows:
Span (Wing Spread)
with missiles      40 feet 5 inches
without missile   37 feet 6 inches

Span (Wings Folded) 27 feet 6 inches
Length 56 feet
Height (To Top of Fins) 15 feet 3 inches
Height (To Top of Closed Canopy) 10 feet 6 inches

Flap Operation
SWITCH POSITION - FLAP OPERATION

AUTO With weight off wheels , leading and trailing edge flaps are scheduled as a function of AOA. With WOW, leading and trailing edge flaps and aileron droop are set to 0°.

HALF Below 250 knots, leading edge flaps are scheduled as a function of AOA. Trailing edge flaps and aileron droop are scheduled as a function of airspeed to a maximum of 30° at approach airspeeds. Above 250 knots, the flaps operate in the auto flap up mode and the amber FLAPS light comes on. On the ground, the leading edge flaps are set to 12° . The trailing edge flaps and aileron droop are set to 30° . With the wing unlocked, aileron droop is set to 0°.

FULL Below 250 knots, leading edge flaps are scheduled as a function of AOA. Trailing edge flaps and aileron droop are scheduled as a function of airspeed to a maximum of 45° flaps and 42° aileron droop at approach airspeeds. Above 250 knots, the flaps operate in the auto flaps up mode and the amber FLAPS light comes on. On the ground, the leading edge flaps are set to 12° . The trailing edge flaps are set to 43° - 45° and aileron droop to 42° . With the wings unlocked, aileron droop is set to 0°.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:47 am »
thanks! answered some of my questions!

now i just need to know the ailerons angle on during turns and the rudders.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:52:58 am »
Forgot to add this FLAPS graphic from NATOPS:
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

ESzczesniak

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:40:59 pm »
You need to be careful with quoted flap angles.  With the newer more complex flaps systems, flap angles do not necessarily correspond to the physical deflection of flaps.  Unfortunately, I can't remember which parameter the degree is measured from.  I wanted to say it was effective aerodynamic chord from the depths of my memory, but this doesn't make sense since AOA could then exceed 45-50 degrees...which it doesn't on landing approaches.

What I do know as an example though is on the complex flaps of the 737, "1 degree" of flaps is closer to 5 degrees of physical deflection while the "40 degree" setting on the 737 is actually in the range of 30-35 degrees of physical movement.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:33:53 pm »
i see. ok ill compare the corresponding angles to some pictures!