Author Topic: KFLL review on AVSIM  (Read 9272 times)

_Dre_

KFLL review on AVSIM
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »
All in all it's a pretty good review.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1209/FSDreamTeam/KFLL.htm
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

Silverbird

Re: KFLL review on AVSIM
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »
Great Job Fsdt!  ;) A very nice review a 10/10! score. ;D
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:38:50 pm »
Yeah it was a good review, but the reviewers screen shots don't do it justice. He looks like he needs to crank up his AA in some shots. KFLL was the one airport I think I wanted to be done more than any airport ever, and I am gratefull that FSDT not only did it, but did such a great job on it.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »
A very nice review a 10/10! score.

So... where is the gold star award? Or are those reserved for Aerosoft?   ???
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

skimmer

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:57:13 am »
Talk about untouched screenshots. Great review for a great product. ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 02:04:04 am »
Talk about untouched screenshots. Great review for a great product. ;D

LOL, even untouched those were horrible and not a good representation of how it really looks. I have seen better screens posted here by users on the board. No wonder some people hate FSX. If mine looked like than AND got bad performance I would go back to FS9.

skimmer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »
A gold star????? It was'nt a contest.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »
A gold star????? It was'nt a contest.

I take it you don't read reviews on Avsim, here's an example of a Gold Star Award winning review.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

captmjk

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 12:44:05 am »
Nice to see everyone here is so fond of my screenshots  ::)  My job as a reviewer is not to blow sunshine up a developer's rump, rather to evaluate the product from an unbiased point of view (which is why I stay out of developers forums for the most part other than support and update issues).  Some of those shots were taken on my old computer (which sucked major arse), and there is a noticeable difference between those few shots, and the ones I took on my current machine.  For the record those screenshots were ALL retouched using the same methods I use for my airshow magazine work and Jetphotos uploads, though not edited to a point where I give an overly re-touched unrealistic representation of the product.  Apart from light editing (cropping, color corrections, and re-sizing) there is nothing to do as I am not trying to portray the product any differently than it was for me on my computer.  For that reason, I do not use a crazy full detail sliders with full AI when taking my screenshots, as I want to show what it looks like when you are actually flying it with a reasonable frame rate allowance rather than a slide show that my look incredible, but perform terribly.  My screen shots aren't the edited masterpieces I see on these and other FS forums, but I don't have a supercomputer, and I'm not going to do HDR composites and use other environment enhancing things because those aren't part of the product that I am reviewing.  Could you please tell me how exactly I could have represented the product better, as I feel I did a fair job as such.  The only time I have EVER used extremely over the top screenshots was for my FT Kai Tak review, which I was forced to borrow from fellow simmers after my computer had some issues with the deadline looming.  I am not all that high on the Avsim seniority list, and I am not sure how to give a gold star award (though this product, along with FT SXM and a few others clearly deserve it), the gold stars are always given by the experienced reviewers.  I did give it the highest praise I could, with the 10/10 and if you have issues with gold star criteria, take it to the Avsim forums.  I am extremely happy with how my FSX looks and runs, and would never consider going to FS9.  I'm willing to accept criticism, but some of the stuff I just read here is a bit uneducated, which is understandable since I'm sure you guys aren't all reviewers, but think about what my job as a reviewer is before whining that I didn't edit the screenshots :)

Mark

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:47:40 am »
Mark,

Since I was the main offender of the remarks concerning your screen shots I apologize for my comments. At the time I didn't think they looked very good due to the lack of AA, however I though your review of the product was very good.

For what it's worth the shots seem to look better now than they did at the time.

Anyways, sorry if I hurt your feelings and I hope you accept the apology.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:08:57 pm by cmpbllsjc »

SirIsaac726

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:25:45 am »
Mark,

Your review was excellent and I enjoyed reading it.  It has convinced me to buy FLL.  Once I find the disposable income, it will be up on the top of my list of things to buy. ;)

captmjk

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 10:46:40 pm »
Mark,

Since I was the main offender of the remarks concerning your screen shots I apologize for my comments. At the time I didn't think they looked very good due to the lack of AA, however I though your review of the product was very good.

For what it's worth the shots seem to look better now than they did at the time.

Anyways, sorry if I hurt your feelings and I hope you accept the apology.

Regards

You didn't hurt my feelings(trust me, nothing on a forum means anything as I have heard 1000 times worse at my real job as a hockey ref), and no apology is necessary (though I do accept it).  I can see why someone who is a fan of the product can be disappointed, especially after seeing it looking better on their own screen (don't forget how much the joy of actually flying improves it too, which you can't get from a still picture ;) ).  I was hesitant to use those shots taken on the old computer, but not being able to use the vehicle I had to get similar angles, I went ahead and used them, with a bit of extra editing to try and get rid of some jaggies.  I do think that all the other shots I used (plus the comparison to the real world shots I used) do show how good the scenery can look, and anyone coming here will definitely see how much better it CAN look.  I wasn't really angry, just wanted to explain how reviewers aren't there to sell the product, just evaluate it.  If I was on a sales team for FSDT, I would obviously have never used the shots from the old computer, and used other enhancements along with more advanced editing techniques.