Author Topic: Installation issues and no add on manager visable  (Read 1630 times)

Decotime

Installation issues and no add on manager visable
« on: December 18, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »
Hello everyone

I hope someone can point me in the right direction

I have a brand new PC , installed P3dv5.1 to my flight sim drive labelled D: drive, I'm installing everything flight sim related to D:/ drive to keep C drive dedicated to the Operating system. I have never moved the sim so registry should point to sim location, and the installer finds it ok after I enter the install location , my D drive.

Downloaded the latest installer from the website, fire wall off, Real time scanner off as well. Then about midway through the install I get the error PROBLEM ACCESSING XML FILE  - AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE PARSING ENTITY NAME, LINE 6, POSITION 21

All seems to continue on fine after hitting the ok button on the error message, Until I run the sim (P3dv5.1) then I'm unable to activate GSX from the add on manager because its not there.... No jet ways or anything.

I have redownloaded the installer and re tried it 3 times now with no luck

Please can someone help me sort this out

Regards

Jeff F

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation issues and no add on manager visable
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:39:40 pm »
I have never moved the sim so registry should point to sim location, and the installer finds it ok after I enter the install location

This is already strange: our installer will NEVER ask for the place where the simulator is installed, because it will find it automatically ( looking in the registry ) or it will not find it, and if it's not found, the simulator entry for the sim that hasn't been found will be greyed out.

I think you are confusing what the installer is asking you when you "enter the install location". It's NOT asking for you to tell where the simulator is, is asking where you want to install THE ADDON MANAGER, which will be a shared location for all FSDT products. By default it's C:\Program Files\Addon Manager but, it can be any other folder and usually the worst possible choice is precisely the folder the simulator is installed into, because if you install it there, there *might* be some file permissions problems that might prevent something from working correctly and, in general, with P3D4/5 is a very bad practice to install things "inside" the simulator, and we took great care to not to do that so, choose any folder you like EXCEPT the simulator one, because that's not what the installer is asking for.

Then about midway through the install I get the error PROBLEM ACCESSING XML FILE  - AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE PARSING ENTITY NAME, LINE 6, POSITION 21

Please be more precise on when this happens, exactly. During the actual installation, or after the FSDT Live Update starts ? This usually means either your DLL.XML or your EXE.XML file were already corrupted but the thing is, we don't use them in P3D4 or 5, only in FSX.

Decotime

Re: Installation issues and no add on manager visable
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:58:37 pm »
Hi

Well I'm not using FSX, only P3dv5.1 on a brand new PC and SSD drive.

as you can see in 3rd photo my file path on D:/ drive is . D:/gsx 1 & 2 /Addon manager - Its not in my P3d install folder , Never has been , that's D:/P3dv5.

As for the error it happens right after install has finished and before the live updater starts, the live updater can only start after hitting the ok button on the error massage.

photos in order of the installer screens

Just for info I'm using add & remove programs in windows to uninstall GSX , could there be something the uninstall is missing ? How can I be sure its all been removed, the files appear empty.

Hope that explains better for you , sorry about picture quality camera lens is scratched

What else can I try ??

regards

Jeff

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:02:34 pm by Decotime »