Author Topic: How do I completely uninstall FSDT addons for a new reinstall?  (Read 3792 times)

amrick615

How do I completely uninstall FSDT addons for a new reinstall?
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:52:24 am »
Hello!

I want to reinstall all of P3Dv5 from scratch as if my computer never had it installed in the first place. Before I start, I wanted to gain some FSDT specific insight I should know before messing anything up. Could someone please instruct me (or point me to the instructions) regarding a full uninstall to prepare for a seemingly first time install?

Thank you,

Amrick Dhillon

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How do I completely uninstall FSDT addons for a new reinstall?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:14:01 am »
It would be best to explain *why* you think you need to do a complete reinstall, because you usually don't. If you have a problem, then please describe it.

If you don't, I suggest not doing anything, because our products are proper P3D-native products that use the proper installation method ( add-on.xml ) in the proper way, meaning we don't install anything in the sim, we have the add-on.xml properly located in the Documents folder, with files of the actual scenery located in a location of your choice, which is the absolute best possible choice to use the proper p3D-native installation method, because saves you exactly from doing what you think you need to do: reinstalling the sceneries when you reinstall the sim.

The only reason I can think of for a "complete" reinstall, is if you want to "move" them to a larger or faster drive.

In that case, uninstall them all, and always reply "YES" to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" that is made at the end. This is what will allow to choose a new destination folder on the next reinstall, which will be shared by all subsequent installs of other FSDT products.

amrick615

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:18:30 pm »
I accidentally pressed "reset to default" for KLAX which reset the jetways profile that was preinstalled when I first installed the scenery. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sim and all addons, including any files related to the sim and addons in %appdata%, program data, and program files. But after reinstalling everything, the jetways profile for KLAX was still set to default and the jetways were all in the wrong spots. Each jetway is in the general location of where the gate area is, but they aren't perfectly placed in the actual jetway "spot" as the original FSDT KLAX installation had placed them.

So that is primarily why I want to start completely fresh with P3Dv5, because I also have examples of things like this for my other addons, to which I might also have to contact them separately as I have with P3D and now FSDT.

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 10:58:42 am »
What you reported doesn't requires a reinstallation of any FSDT product and it won't be fixed by it.

Assuming what you did resulted in the loss of your customization for for KLAX, this would revert to the profile supplied with the scenery, which surely has all the jetways in place. If it doesn't, the problem is likely GSX is not seeing the FSDT AFCAD, but another scenery in conflict, so it's not activating our profile, but one for the conflicting scenery.

You can verify this by checking the GSX customization page and see if the name of the AFCAD in use is the one that comes with our scenery. Note that, if the name is right, when we do updates, usually the AFCAD and the GSX profile should go together, so you should always ALLOW the AFCAD to be overwritten when asked.

We added the option to ask the user before overwriting the AFCAD, to allow user modifications but, it's possible that ( assuming you *have* customized the AFCAD ), if you did it from an AFCAD that was made a while ago, possibly before we added SODE/GSX jetways to the scenery, and you are not allowing the FSDT Live Update to overwrite it, the new GSX profile that we made for the current AFCAD, might not entirely compatible with the old version you based your customization from.

A conflicting scenery for the same airport or an outdated AFCAD that you haven't allowed to overwrite are the only possible reasons why the scenery and the GSX jetways don't match. Assuming you *are* using the GSX customization that comes with KLAX.

amrick615

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 09:12:57 am »
I looked at my user customization file, and it is the the one that came with the GSX installation. Given this, what do I do to fix the problem?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:04:29 am »
I looked at my user customization file, and it is the the one that came with the GSX installation. Given this, what do I do to fix the problem?

No GSX profile came with the GSX installation. The GSX profile for KLAX is supposed to come with the *scenery* itself. I'll try to explain it better:

1) First, you must be sure the *AFCAD* read by GSX is the one that comes with FSDT KLAX, in the GSX customization page.

2) Assuming GSX is reading the correct AFCAD, you must be sure is reading the GSX customization file from the FSDT KLAX\Scenery folder ( it should read designer-provided data, or something like that ). It it's reading from a place in %APPDATA% it's *your* customization, which should be removed.

3) Assuming both #1 and #2 are valid, you must be absolutely sure you ALLOW the FSDT Live Update to update the FSDT KLAX AFCAD if asked. The KLAX GSX profile might not work if you modified the AFCAD, especially if you started from an older version, one made before we replaced all jetways.

If all 3 conditions are satisfied, it's impossible you would have jetways in the wrong position.