Author Topic: The new 64bit couatl destroyed my fps **NOT A GSX PROBLEM**  (Read 5776 times)

p3dx3

The new 64bit couatl destroyed my fps **NOT A GSX PROBLEM**
« on: October 24, 2020, 08:59:16 pm »
I am getting 5-10fps in cruise and 1-5fps on approach and ground

I set the 64bit coutatl exe in windows security center to exclude it on scan

P3d 4.5 Hot fix 3

only other addon running is activesky p3d. my performance is gone after that gsx update
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:31:53 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

Re: The new 64bit couatl destroyed my fps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:21:56 pm »
In PMDG 747 and the NGXu
Performance is bad and on the ground calling GSX going to park at a gate performance gets even worse.

p3dx3

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 07:32:03 pm »
Downgraded Anti Aliasing 4x SSAA to 4x MSAA and FPS is the same!
10 fps in climb right now and I know it is not the graphics displayed because looking anywhere like down at the ground the FPS does not change
Please help to fix this!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:34 pm »
It's not possible that just because we moved to 64 bit, it would have any effect on fps. In fact, the performances should be possibly better, since Couatl used to be an FSX 32 bit client, now it's a native P3D4 client, so it won't even go through the Windows subsystem that translates every 32 call into a 64 call ( WOW64 ).

Of course, I tried it and no, there are no issues of fps whatsoever, see here:

BEFORE Calling GSX

After opening the GSX menu.

The fps loss here in negligible, probably due only to the semi-transparent menu visible, since the cones created by GSX are not very complex objects.

After calling Deboarding.

This is the worse case scenario, all GSX vehicles are moving AND the SODE jetway moving too, so there's lots of activity going on, yet the fps loss is completely acceptable, considering you are on ground.

p3dx3

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »
Is that in P3D v4 or v5? I use v4. Performance in the virtual cockpit is a slideshow since the new version of GSX. I will try to uninstall and reinstall this weekend. My computer is older but my P3D performance was never this bad I did a reinstall a month ago of Windows and Prepar3D and now for around 2 weeks since the GSX update my FPS in the virtual cockpit is 10-15 everywhere at all times.

Calling for GSX to set my gate on arrival and when I am on short final the fps drops even more. All the vehicles stutter when moving but not as bad as they used to. You look like using P3D v5 correct? And at a default airport on the outside view. My outside view FPS is double what my VC view is also.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:28:14 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:22:28 pm »
And is it a coincidence that my performance issues started when I notice the marshaller gets "stuck" as in when I call for a gate and taxi there, shut down engines and request deboarding the marshaller stays stuck there guiding me into the parking space. Pushing back for a second leg he is still there now not sure what to do but keep his hands in the air to guide me, with the animation flickering.

everybody is unloading what is he doing guiding me??

https://i.imgur.com/bYRbUoP.png
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:24:55 pm by p3dx3 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:31:43 pm »
Is that in P3D v4 or v5? I use v4.

You made a report saying you use P3D 4.5 HF3 so, obviously, I made a test using EXACTLY that version.

Performance in the virtual cockpit is a slideshow since the new version of GSX

Nothing in GSX can possibly affect fps in the VC. Only airplane instruments can.

Calling for GSX to set my gate on arrival and when I am on short final the fps drops even more. All the vehicles stutter when moving but not as bad as they used to. You look like using P3D v5 correct? And at a default airport on the outside view. My outside view FPS is double what my VC view is also.

But since as you can see, nobody ever reported this problem, it's fairly obvious it could only be a coincidence that on your system happened that time, otherwise we would be had the forum swamped by similar reports. Of course, if you are really convinced "Couatl destroyed your fps", the release notes told you an easy way to go back to the old version.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

NOTE: If you have issues with the 64 bit version, and would like to go back to use the previous 32 bit version in P3D4/5, change the Path tag in the Documents\Prepar3d Addons\ADD-ON.XML file:

Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_P3D.exe

change it to:

Addon Manager\couatl\couatl.exe

I doubt it would change anything, since the 64 bit version should be a bit faster, but it won't hurt trying.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:33:46 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 07:15:14 am »
Thanks for replying and help. I am finding setting Unlimited instead of locking FPS is making the sim a lot better. Do you see anything like this with locked fps at 30 or 60 versus unlimited setting in P3D?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:42:18 pm by virtuali »

BerndB

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 10:12:44 am »
Thanks for replying and help. I am finding setting Unlimited instead of locking FPS is making the sim a lot better. Do you see anything like this with locked fps at 30 or 60 versus unlimited setting in P3D?

You mentioned at the first thread, that you have also low FPS in cruise. Therefore this FPS issue canĀ“t be related to GSX because GSX is complete inactive above 10.000 ft and becomes active again at 10.000 ft. below.
There must be an issue about performance settings for your the SIM at all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:46 pm »

Yes, fps should be always set to Unlimited, unless your frame rate is way higher than the target frame rate. If it's or about the same, by locking it, you are hurting yourself,

Assume you are running at 25 fps, because that's what your system can do with that particular combination of add-ons used, if you lock it at 30 fps, what will happen is that, even if the sim was ready to draw the next frame, it will *wait* until the next 1/30th of a second, so your fps would be even lower than it should since it's not even doing the 25 fps it could. So, in this situation, you should set Unlimited, because it would at least draw all the frames it can, without waiting.

Locking fps is useful only if you have a way higher fps than the locked target, so your CPU might be free to do other things in the meantime and ( more importantly ) the *distance* between each frame will be constant ( always 1/30th of a second between each one ), so it will feel smoother. For example, if you can do 40 fps, but not steady, some of your frames might happen every 1/25th of a second, others every 1/30th and others every 1/20th, so they average at 40 fps, but it won't feel smooth, so locking at 30 fps might feel better.

It's common knowledge that, if you want to use locked fps, it's usually best to keep the sim at "unlimited" and lock the fps using the video card own settings.

p3dx3

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 02:05:48 am »
I see couatl exe is active in the services tab even if gsx itself is not running. The animations on the ground stuttered too, the marshaller got "stuck" after I parked.
And changing to unlimited I am not having these problems so I think something in gsx does not like locking fps in sim.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:03:41 am by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 02:07:31 am »
Thanks. I am having good performance again once I set fps to unlimited.

Back to the "stuck" marshaller for a minute I have looked at streams of p3d and sometimes streamers have that issue. I can find a clip in the morning.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:07:45 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 04:07:29 am »
I see couatl exe is active in the services tab even if gsx itself is not running.

That's normal. how do you expect it GSX could reactivate itself again when you go *below* 10k feet, if couatl didn't monitor your altitude/speed ? Of course, this task takes zero impact on fps, there are other 3rd party modules that constantly query for *hundreds* of variables so no, couatl "just running", cannot possibly affect your fps, at all.

The animations on the ground stuttered too, the marshaller got "stuck" after I parked.

As explained so many times, when you have too many add-ons, all talking to the sim at the same time, it's possible the Simconnect communication channel get clobbered with request, so GSX is not given enough time to talk with the simulator, because the sim is too busy to talk with everybody else, resulting in less smooth animations, because in order to animate smoothly, we must be able to talk with the simulator at a constant fps. The add-ons that are known to put the highest strain on Simconnect are weather engines, and AI traffic product that drives traffic themselves if there are many AI.

And changing to unlimited I am not having these problems so I think something in gsx does not like locking fps in sim.

Then change it to unlimited, as I've suggested.

p3dx3

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 06:03:59 am »
I do not use AI. New problem now with Unlimited not locked FPS is 20-40fps that stutters every 5-10 seconds to 10fps.
I have Activesky P3D and ASCA. Nothing else running.
I showed that the marshaller got stuck sometimes on arriving at a new airport, and you tell me nobody else reported it. But is that really a response? Just because nobody reports something does not mean it is not a problem or bug.
My stuttering may be something else, such as Activesky? I can try with no weather engine running this weekend.
I also found months ago something nobody else reported that your installer was installing to 2 different places every addon in my documents and programdata. I see now you have fixed that in the installers it is not appearing to do that. So I did find something that was a problem nobody else reported and in multiple posts here helped others who eventually had crashing issues that if they removed these double entries it installed that it would not crash their sims.
If there is a log I can send, or something else to try please tell me and I am happy to try to help find what is wrong with my sim. I will report back in some days when I can fly again without a weather engine if the stuttering and stuck marshaller are still here.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:52:31 pm by virtuali »

Tino

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:42 pm »

Nothing in GSX can possibly affect fps in the VC. Only airplane instruments can.

Ehhh... Are you sure about that? With GSX Level 2, I see a considerable hit to performance in the VC when pax are boarding. I don't see any performance issue with anything else though.