Author Topic: Couatl.exe disappears from task manager **SOLVED**  (Read 3366 times)

shane25

Couatl.exe disappears from task manager **SOLVED**
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:59:34 pm »
I had to reinstall Windows 10 and also P3DV5. I downloaded the ne installers from FSDT. Turned off antivirus Installed as normal.
Also excluded the addon manager folder from scanning. GSX and the rest are installed outside the simulator in the documents folder.
After starting p3d, addon manager opens normally. But on trying to enter my serial gives me an error that couatl scripting engine has not started which might be due to the antivirus program.
The second time I noticed that couatl.exe has started at the splash screen right up to fraction of a second after the main screen loads.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem. I am at the limit of my computer knowledge.
Any help appreciated.
No problems during the previous installation before I had to reinstall windows 10
Shane
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:45:41 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl.exe disappears from task manager
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:16:38 pm »
open the Notepad and type the following on a new blank file:

logFile=couatl.log

(please note logFile is written beginning with a lower case L and a capital F )

- Save the file as couatl.ini in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder

- Run the sim, then exit after you verified the program didn't start.

- Check your %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder and if there's a Couatl.LOG file there, post its content

- DO NOT copy the file in a message, but use the "Attach" function of the forum to ZIP the log file and Attach it to a post.

shane25

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »
As requested
The scripting engine running was for FSX/ESP and I also noticed on task manager before it shut down that couatl.exe was suspended.
Hope this helps
Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:46:08 pm »
The scripting engine running was for FSX/ESP and I also noticed on task manager before it shut down that couatl.exe was suspended.Thanks

Are you sure that log comes from a session in which Couatl started and then disappeared and you are not, for example, looking at an instance running from a previous session that was "stuck" ?

In any case, one thing that looks suspicious in your log is this one:

File F:\ORBX Library\p3dv5\EGHR Chichester - Goodwood Airport\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGHR\scenery\EGHR_PR_15.bgl skipped, because it's 0 bytes long

That file has gone corrupted in your system, because it has a length of 0, which is probably caused the program to crash. I suggest removing it and reinstall that scenery.

shane25

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:06:21 pm »
I reinstalled EGHR. It did not stop the crash. Attached is the log file
Many thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 11:47:45 pm »
I reinstalled EGHR. It did not stop the crash. Attached is the log file

There might be another corrupted file, the log shows files with 0 length ( since that's an obvious problem) but, it cannot possibly know if a non-zero length file is good or not unless it tried to open it and, if it's corrupted but not at 0 length, it will likely crash when opening it.

This seems to be the case because, from your log it shows the program crashed while it was creating the cache, since there's no message about the cache creation being completed and the most likely reason for a crash while building the cache, is a corrupted .BGL that doesn't have 0 length, so it's not logged.

In fact, I don't even think the previous 0-length file was the cause, since those are ignored, it must be some other file that has the same problem. You might TRY this:

- From the Options->Add-on menu of the sim, disable ALL 3rd party sceneries. This will temporarily disable them without uninstalling.

- Exit the sim

- Clear the GSX airport cache by removing this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Virtuali

- Restart the sim and see if it doesn't crash.

- If it works, re-enable your sceneries one by one and restart each time, until you'll find the one with the problem, which should go away by reinstalling it.

shane25

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 11:18:03 am »
Many thanks Umberto for your help.
Working OK now and registered my products.
There is definitely a rogue scenery.
All the best
Shane