Author Topic: Big stutter when GSX sound file starts **SOLVED, not a GSX problem**  (Read 2822 times)

robvanderwiele

Hello

I'm using P3D with hotfix 2 and GSX with level 2 expansion, every time when a sound file starts of GSX I have a big stutter. I can't recall I had that with P3D 4.5. Any solution/fix for this? I already updated my realtek sound drivers to the latest version but no luck.

Rob

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:44:44 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Big stutter when GSX sound file starts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:52:19 pm »
I cannot replicate this, and nobody else has reported it.

GSX never tries to use the sound card directly ( it uses OpenAL ), and it doesn't use any of the simulator own sound services so, nothing in the sim version should change how GSX use sound, since it was never related to the sim itself.

Could be you changed something in the simulator affinity settings, or you have a 3rd party utility that might have changed that without you knowing it ? The simulator itself stealing too many cpu cycles for itself is the only thing I can think of that might cause GSX to get less attention from the OS, possibly reducing perfomances. Usually the OS itself does the better job at handling this, so it's best not to touch these settings.

Ebertr

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:31:38 pm »
I have s similar problem. While GSX sound is active (e.g. push back procedure) the P3D V5 HF2 image gets black blanked everytime the guy starts to say anything and at the end of his voice for a fraction of a second (properly for 1 to 2 frames). I did not touch the affinity mask. My FS computer is quite strong --> 8700K 5GHz, 1080TI 11GB, 16 GB RAM. Means the problem could not be caused by reaching the ressource limit.

The second problem I have is that P3D V5 crashes in 4 of 10 cases at the end of the push-back procedure, related to the disconnect of the p/b truck. It does not matter the size of the airport.

I did not have these issues with P3D V4.5

Ruediger

robvanderwiele

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:37:18 pm »
I didn't change the affinity mask. CPU I9 9900K with 2080Ti and 32 Gigs of RAM. Will check if something else is causing this. But my sim is running very smooth at a resolution of 5054 x 1200 pixels.

robvanderwiele

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 10:18:55 pm »
Hello Umberto,

I found the cause of the stutter. There was a Realtek App installed which came with my motherboard. I removed this App and all the sound drivers on my system. Then I rebooted and let windows install the sound driver again. And now no more stutters when the sound plays.

Thanks for your response,
Rob
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:30:13 pm by robvanderwiele »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:08 pm »
The second problem I have is that P3D V5 crashes in 4 of 10 cases at the end of the push-back procedure, related to the disconnect of the p/b truck. It does not matter the size of the airport. I did not have these issues with P3D V4.5

If you have a VCRUNTIME.dll crash in the Event Viewer, it's a known problem, doesn't have anything to do with GSX, it's bug in P3D V5 that cause a crash when *ANY* product ( even the default ATC window ) tries to open a standard Simconnect transparent menu.

LM is aware of this, and they are investigating it.

Ebertr

Re: Big stutter when GSX sound file starts **SOLVED, not a GSX problem**
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:31:42 pm »
Booth problems are solved and seem to have the same cause.

For the GSX sound I use a USB sound adapter. In order to isolate the problem I assigned the GSX sound temporarily to the internal sound adapter. With this configuration no more artifacts at the P3D view with GSX sound active. With the configuration back to the USB sound device the artifacts appeares again. Uninstalling and re-intstalling the driver for the USB sound device did not solve the problem. Finnaly I bought a new USB sound device. This works :-)

Since then I did not have a P3D CTD at the end of the pushback sequence anymore.  It may just be a coincidence, we will see.

By the way, when P3D crashed, it was not a VCRUNTIME.dll problem. See attachment.

Ruediger

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Big stutter when GSX sound file starts **SOLVED, not a GSX problem**
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 07:05:58 pm »
For the GSX sound I use a USB sound adapter. In order to isolate the problem I assigned the GSX sound temporarily to the internal sound adapter. With this configuration no more artifacts at the P3D view with GSX sound active. With the configuration back to the USB sound device the artifacts appeares again. Uninstalling and re-intstalling the driver for the USB sound device did not solve the problem. Finnaly I bought a new USB sound device. This works :-)

I was quite sure it wasn't a GSX problem. Usually, it never is... and I'm glad you found it.

By the way, when P3D crashed, it was not a VCRUNTIME.dll problem. See attachment

You posted the Couatl crash log. Couatl never crashes with a VCRUNTIME.dll error, so you won't find it in the Couatl.exe event, it's the sim itself that crashes ( when it crash after opening a Simconnect menu ) with the VCRUNTIME error, and this makes Couatl crash.