Author Topic: GSX not working when a new scenery is installed  (Read 6873 times)

XCSWxcsw

GSX not working when a new scenery is installed
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:30:51 pm »
P3Dv5 windows 10(2004) GTX1080Ti 11GB 32GBRAM

After i installed a new scenery and enter the P3D, GSX does not work at all, and there is no GSX in the Addons.
My current solution is to run FSDT Live Update and it will be restored. But when I installed a new scenery again, it looped again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not working when a new scenery is installed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 09:17:31 pm »
When you install a new scenery, GSX will recreate the airport cache and, while it's doing that, you cannot use it. If you haven't configured the antivirus to exclude the simulator folder, and you have lots of sceneries, this can take a while, so you might assume GSX is not available, especially if you disabled the top text bar ( the Info text in the sim settings ).

So, first try to add the entire simulator folder to the antivirus exclusion list, which will make startup and the airport cache regeneration faster. If you have sceneries installed in other folders, you should add those folders to the antivirus exclusion as well.

XCSWxcsw

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:09:23 pm »
Hi,
I did not use any anti-virus software. I even disabled Windows' own anti-virus software

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:20:30 am »
I did not use any anti-virus software. I even disabled Windows' own anti-virus software

As explained so many times on the forum, you cannot easily disable the antivirus, even if it "looks" disabled, it's low-level service is still running and can interfere. That's why we never said to "disable the antivirus" but, instead, add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus exclusion list.

And, adding the simulator folder to the Exclusion list is also strongly suggested.

XCSWxcsw

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:22:41 pm »
Hi,
I'v try that, but still. When installed a new Scenery, It will not work

XCSWxcsw

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 09:34:25 am »
so any another solution?

ctruong1803

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:33 pm »
When you install a new scenery, GSX will recreate the airport cache and, while it's doing that, you cannot use it. If you haven't configured the antivirus to exclude the simulator folder, and you have lots of sceneries, this can take a while, so you might assume GSX is not available, especially if you disabled the top text bar ( the Info text in the sim settings ).

So, first try to add the entire simulator folder to the antivirus exclusion list, which will make startup and the airport cache regeneration faster. If you have sceneries installed in other folders, you should add those folders to the antivirus exclusion as well.

Hi ,

I do not believe you can tell the antivirus software to exclude the folder.
You can tell the antivirus software to exclude a file.

Unless there is an antivirus software can do this, then you can tell us the one that you using that let you do this.

The common technique is to temporarily disable antivirus, whilst you are installing new software.

Regards,

Chris Truong.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 11:27:13 pm »
Windows Defender allows you to do this.
Captain Kevin

ctruong1803

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 01:55:38 am »
Windows Defender allows you to do this.

Hi ,

What if you are not using Windows Defender, for example Kaspersky Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection?

Regards,

Chris Truong.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 01:41:21 pm »
What if you are not using Windows Defender, for example Kaspersky Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection?

You read their documentation, which I'm sure explain how to add a folder to their Exclusion list.

ctruong1803

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 03:02:18 pm »
Hi ,

Both of these products, Kaspersky Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection, cannot add folder to exclusion.

In addition, Windows Defender is only available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Windows 10 do not have Windows Defender.

By now everyone has moved to Windows 10, as Windows 7 is no longer supportable by Microsoft.

Cheers,

Chris Truong.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:08:43 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 03:08:51 pm »
Both of these products, Kaspersky Internet Security or McAfee Total Protection, cannot add folder to exclusion.

Then you should switch to another product, since it's a basic feature that every antivirus should have. And, in fact, even the free one included with Windows 10 has it.

In addition, Windows Defender is only available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Windows 10 do not have Windows Defender.

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender antivirus by default:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security

And it's surely DOES have the ability to add a folder to the Exclusions list. Of course, if you *replace* it with a 3rd party antivirus, it's your responsibility to choose one that can allow you to do that, which is probably the most important setting any antivirus can have.

ctruong1803

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »
Hmmmm... I wonder all the users out there would use Windows Defender antivirus????
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:08:45 pm by virtuali »

Pit

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »

Then you should switch to another product, since it's a basic feature that every antivirus should have. And, in fact, even the free one included with Windows 10 has it.

In addition, Windows Defender is only available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Windows 10 do not have Windows Defender.

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender antivirus by default:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security

And it's surely DOES have the ability to add a folder to the Exclusions list. Of course, if you *replace* it with a 3rd party antivirus, it's your responsibility to choose one that can allow you to do that, which is probably the most important setting any antivirus can have.

Hmmmm... I wonder all the users out there would use Windows Defender antivirus????

Cheers,
Chris Truong.

Hi Chris, I do!! No problems with WIN10 Defender here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:09:17 pm by Pit »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 04:13:15 pm »

They can use whatever they want but, if one decides for some reason to replace the default and free antivirus that comes with Windows, he should at least choose a BETTER product and, of course, something that lacks such a basic feature like Exclusion folders, it's clearly too much of a limitation compared to the default antivirus, that I wonder why one would want to replace it with *that*

In any case, I'm sure both Kaspersky and McAfee DO allow Exclusions. Are you referring to the FREE version perhaps ? Those might not have all the features of the paid version but, again, why would you want to replace the default free antivirus from Microsoft, with something more limited ?