Author Topic: Using L2 as default  (Read 6379 times)

bwbriscoe

Using L2 as default
« on: May 28, 2020, 02:33:00 pm »
I am trying to figure out how to make GSX always use door L2 as default (as most airlines use this for jetways). I can't see an option in the menu. I tried selecting 'there is no door here' in the menu, however at Heathrow, the jetway still came to L1.

I'm sure this must have been asked before...can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Using L2 as default
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:15:31 pm »
Which airplane are we talking about here.
Captain Kevin

bwbriscoe

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:23:01 pm »
Which airplane are we talking about here.

I am using Quality Wings 787

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:26 pm »
Disabling a door is surely the worse possible choice, I suggest to Reset the airplane configuration to default.

If you want to change the Preferred Exit, you should click the door's NAME in the Airplane editor ( if in 2D dialog mode ), so it will turn Blue with a small star beside it, indicating it's the Preferred exit for the jetway.

If you are in the airplane editor in 3D mode, you should press F2 to make the currently selected door the Preferred Exit. It will turn blue to indicate that.

bwbriscoe

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:21:48 am »
Disabling a door is surely the worse possible choice, I suggest to Reset the airplane configuration to default.

If you want to change the Preferred Exit, you should click the door's NAME in the Airplane editor ( if in 2D dialog mode ), so it will turn Blue with a small star beside it, indicating it's the Preferred exit for the jetway.

If you are in the airplane editor in 3D mode, you should press F2 to make the currently selected door the Preferred Exit. It will turn blue to indicate that.

Thank you for you reply, but nothing you said seems to work:
- What do you mean about clicking the door name in 2D editor? Clicking the door name does not do anything.
- No stars appear,
- In 3D model, pressing F2 doesn't make any difference

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, so any help would be well received!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »
What do you mean about clicking the door name in 2D editor? Clicking the door name does not do anything.

On the 2D dialog, you must select a door, which is done by clicking on the small rectangle ( green, orange, or red ), which will open another window with all the door parameters. The door name THERE will be either black or blue with a star, indicating a preferred exit. So, if it's black, you click on it, and it will turn blue, making the door the preferred exit.

Of course, it will work only for passenger doors, you cannot make a cargo or a catering door the preferred exit.

bwbriscoe

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:48:46 pm »
This still doesn't work at Aerosoft's Heathrow. L2 is now preferred exit but jetway still goes to L1. This makes it totally unrealistic as BA at LHR always use L2.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 12:30:35 am »
This still doesn't work at Aerosoft's Heathrow. L2 is now preferred exit but jetway still goes to L1. This makes it totally unrealistic as BA at LHR always use L2.

Checking Aerosoft web site, that scenery uses standard CTRL+J jetways, so nothing in GSX controls, affects or change anything on a scenery that comes with standard jetways. 

The "Preferred Exit" is a concept that is known only to GSX, so it only works with GSX L2 jetways or SODE jetways, but the default animation system for standard jetways doesn't know anything about it. Default jetways will always go where the main exit is set on the aircraft.cfg

That was the main point of SODE and GSX L2: to have a better jetway system but, sceneries must be made for it and, while we replace all standard *default* jetways at *default* airports automatically, we don't do that for 3rd party sceneries, it would be both wrong and very risky modifying other developers sceneries automatically.

But of course, GSX allows you to create an Exclude file to remove all standard jetway from a 3rd party airport, and replace them with GSX/SODE jetways, so they will work much better, allowing for double/triple jetways at any gate, respect the Preferred exit, use the GSX custom Stop position, use the GSX L2 Animated Passengers, etc.

bwbriscoe

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 12:57:43 am »

Checking Aerosoft web site, that scenery uses standard CTRL+J jetways, so nothing in GSX controls, affects or change anything on a scenery that comes with standard jetways. 

The "Preferred Exit" is a concept that is known only to GSX, so it only works with GSX L2 jetways or SODE jetways, but the default animation system for standard jetways doesn't know anything about it. Default jetways will always go where the main exit is set on the aircraft.cfg

That was the main point of SODE and GSX L2: to have a better jetway system but, sceneries must be made for it and, while we replace all standard *default* jetways at *default* airports automatically, we don't do that for 3rd party sceneries, it would be both wrong and very risky modifying other developers sceneries automatically.

But of course, GSX allows you to create an Exclude file to remove all standard jetway from a 3rd party airport, and replace them with GSX/SODE jetways, so they will work much better, allowing for double/triple jetways at any gate, respect the Preferred exit, use the GSX custom Stop position, use the GSX L2 Animated Passengers, etc.

Thanks for clarifying. How do I exclude standard jetways from 3rd party airports?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 01:15:06 am »
In the case of Aerosoft Heathrow, you can actually go here to get SODE jetways from them.

http://www.sim-wings.com/SUPPORT_SODE.htm
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:47:05 pm by virtuali »
Captain Kevin

bwbriscoe

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:24:59 am »
In the case of Aerosoft Heathrow, you can actually go here to get SODE jetways from them. http://www.sim-wings.com/SUPPORT_SODE.htm

Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I just get two jetways overlapping each other...clearly one being the original Aerosoft and another the SODE. It's so frustrating.

How do I get rid of the Aerosoft (Sim Wings) jetway to just be left with the SODE one? :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:47:24 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 12:51:41 pm »
Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I just get two jetways overlapping each other...clearly one being the original Aerosoft and another the SODE. It's so frustrating.

Quoting from the readme.txt file inside that download:

Check the Sode min. 1.6.4!! is installed and runing!!!

1.) Copy the Subfolder SODE below the "Sim-wings London Heathrow Professional" Folder of the Scenery Addon
2.) Start the SODE-ON.BAT Batchjob File, to aktivate the SODE Jetways

If you want to go back to CTRL-J Jetway or before you install an update for the Scenery,
run the SODE-OFF.BAT to reset to the normal Scenery State.

bwbriscoe

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »
I've followed the above instructions, but now appear to have two jetways on top of each other. I assume the original ones and the SODE ones...how do I remove the originals?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 07:19:28 pm »
You don't somehow have the airport installed twice in two different locations, do you? If you followed the instructions that came with the download, that shouldn't happen.
Captain Kevin

bwbriscoe

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 07:30:25 pm »
I guess the only way to check this is to uninstall, check it's gone and reinstall?